DonO

2017 CRF450R disappointing bike, first time ever

Ok, the clutch toasted at ~30 hr's and now the top end after about ~100hrs (guessing here since I haven't rode as much over the last year). I usually get about 2 yrs out of a TE (from my 2003, 2007, 2012 CRF450R's I've owned and "raced" - the 2017 has never seen a race!!) before replacing, but this 2017 is really getting disappointing to me. Maybe I just got a bad one off the assy line or maybe I've just got faster at riding and ripping the chit outta the clutch and TE!!! (don't think so).

Anyhow I'm really disappointed in the quality of this bike this time around seeing how I don't do anything out of the ordinary to destroy them.

Hard clutch use any year, their toasted in no time. Its known that they need hd springs, and you need to remove the judder spring and fibre plate. Rekluse makes a replacement clutch pak 12 fibre vs the oem 6 and you can custom tune the feel with different strength springs.

• Like 1

SD,

I'm an engineer so I'm anal about maintenance (maybe it was over-maintenance, fresh oil every 3 rides, new air filters, wash after every ride no matter what, etc.).

And seeing how this is da Internet (created by Mr. Gore of course- do you know who he was?), I do consider myself probably better than 60% of TT'rs  of my age (60):jawdrop::smirk::smirk:

FTUO,

What you talking 'bout Willis? (Crap you might be a youngin' and not know what that phrase is from) 

Who replaces air filters? complete waste of time, this is 2019.

G,

Yep found that out from the mechanic, but he's fixin' me up like he always has (he likes my $$$)

Yeah, must be nice to be a pro and have the bike basically rebuilt for every race!!!

Have owned some of the older CRF450r's (05, 06, 08, 09 &10) as well with having an 18 model now.  I don't see a drop off in quality or durability.

30 hrs. for an oem clutch is average unless you're a beginner / novice.

100 hrs. on a topend is pushing it unless as stated above ^^.. 

These are considered F1 race bikes in comparison to the old school XR models..  So yeah they will need / require maintenance intervals or depending how hard you're on the equip.. 

Honda has stepped up their game & personally think that the 450's have gotten better with each generation.    

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DonO said:

SD,

I'm an engineer so I'm anal about maintenance (maybe it was over-maintenance, fresh oil every 3 rides, new air filters, wash after every ride no matter what, etc.).

And seeing how this is da Internet (created by Mr. Gore of course- do you know who he was?), I do consider myself probably better than 60% of TT'rs  of my age (60):jawdrop::smirk::smirk:

FTUO,

What you talking 'bout Willis? (Crap you might be a youngin' and not know what that phrase is from) 

G,

Yep found that out from the mechanic, but he's fixin' me up like he always has (he likes my $$$)

Yeah, must be nice to be a pro and have the bike basically rebuilt for every race!!!

Stupid old people thinking they are better than everyone else... show some respect dude.

usless you just forgot to place some smilies in your post. :)

Edited by Evan D

What about the stupid young people on this thing? Rock'n black plastic, warp 9 wheels, asking can I mount the newest 450 plastic on my blown out 02-08.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, galligar said:

What about the stupid young people on this thing? Rock'n black plastic, warp 9 wheels, asking can I mount the newest 450 plastic on my blown out 02-08.

They typically don’t start with a I’m better than you statment or quote a bunch of stuff only their age group would (presumably) understand...

Mr. ED,  (now there's something that requires a :smirk:, but you won't get the 2 jokes on that huh??)

First off stating things like "stupid old people..." will get you no where in life youngin" (I presume you are between 20-30 from your comments, namely the "dude" one). But then again the young folks now a days don't "respect" their elders or for that have any frikkin' manners AND think they are entitled to everything!!!

Second, did you have to take "READING COMPREHENSION" in school?? (probably not, because if you had you would have known that most of my responses were satirical (oh wait, big word for you, I mean funny!) in nature.

And so you can go back and read my post I never said I was better than anyone else, here is the quote for you, please read it sslllooowww and consider what "each" word means. And please notice the emoticons (smileys and such) on my post too!!!

"I do consider myself probably better than 60% of TT'rs  of my age (60)"

And let me guess, at your work (I assume you work?) you probably know it all, huh???

Respectfully,

DonO

Again with the light discussion... :0

The beginning comment was "I'm an engineer" and it went down hill from there. :)

Being as your post was mostly satirical maybe a few smileys would have helped in the comprehension. I said that in my post but maybe old people don't understand the use of them... ;)

• Like 1

SD,
FTUO,
G,

Hey Don Ho...I mean DonO, (are you old enough to remember him?)

just kidding...everyone on here loves bikes and likes to share and help others...occasionally a whiner comes on and guys react quickly to shut him down...I'm sorry if your satire was not comprehended as intended.

enjoy your bikes and TT!
the old dog

SD,

Ah a good one, that's been used b4 (same with Dandy Don - Dallas QB). Actually he made a couple guest appearances on......wait 4 it.....wait 4 it......................Hawaii 5 0 back in the day.

Dang, I don't think you got enough bikes!!!! (wanna buy a 2017 CRF450R:jawdrop:)

No problem, as Mr. ED doesn't hold up to much (whew another satirical comment):rolleyes:

• Like 1

Chek spelling...  Red a lot on the interweb…   :)

Dk,

Got it. don't fret, we'll get back on topic.

I was a loyal Suke rider up to 2003, had a DRZ400 that was rock solid (even took on MX tracks). I felt when I was looking for new bike (really wanted to get back into racing MX) the Honda was at the top of the game. Had absolutely no problem with them over the years I owned the model (03, 07, 12, now 17) and even strayed with a KTM 350 in 11 (good bike for HS's, just the design issues were nuts!!!!).

If this CRF keeps giving me fits I will certainly be thinking about switching.

Thanks for the input and your bike review!!!

I assume you only get to ride like 4-6 months out of the year (unless you got one of those front ski/rear track conversion kits)???

(come to FL, 365/24/7 :ride:)

don't worry 'bout spelling, I got's me a 5th grade education and can figar it out - name the show??

donO

Edited by DonO

3 hours ago, DonO said:

Dk,

Got it. don't fret, we'll get back on topic.

donO

Don, kidding aside. Did you get your bike back? What did it end up needing? I assume clutch plates fiber and steel and what for the top end, valves? Piston and rings?

Where are you in Florida? I grew up on Merritt Island, 60's and 70's. But was also stationed in Jax and Pensacola (early 80's) while in the Navy. 

ED,

Clutch was way last year (he sported me a good Hinson replacement, much smoother for my old back).

Top end is everything (he said I was lucky - I know him and when he says that he means $$$$$$ wise), Valves were at 0:jawdrop:, piston was like somebody took a hammer to it:bonk:, the rings (top ring fell apart when he had it out, he has never seen that before!!):rolleyes: are shot. I will make another wind chime out of the parts (like I did the clutch):smirk:.

So I really am thinking I got a lemon, but he will fix me up and keep me in the game.

BTW, I really would like to know who rides these bikes in Map 3 Aggressive mode (DEATH MODE) I tried that frikkin mode 2 times and nearly killed myself. Its like full on twitchy whiskey throttle!!:foul:

I live in west Cocoa, out in Redneck land off SR520 (I'm anti suburbanite).

I mostly grew up in P-cola (navy brat). Were you at NAS or NTTC (Corry field)

I need to make a trip up to there (Hickory,NC) and hit Brown/Brushy again (its been like 3-4 yrs now). I 'm sure the guys miss me!!:lol:

Edited by DonO

It really sounds like you did get a problem bike.

I know exactly where you're saying with west Cocoa, I assume the north side of 520 west of the old ball field complex?

I was at NAS for 3 years, end of 1980 to 83. 

You are talking totally different riding between what you have down there and Brown/ Brushy...

There was a MX track out by the XXX outdoor theater south of you in whats now Viera. Good track. I was on a CanAm back then (72-76) and doing endures up near Sharpes. Where you around then?