Brake Pedal - Repurposed (hook a toe)

Ken Roczen has the underside of his brake pedal grooved so he can hook a toe to stay latched to the bike in the air or add lift.   I hate those times when I've jumped and feel like both boots have got some daylight between them and the pegs. 

Roczenpedal.GIF

6 minutes ago, Whopharded said:

Ken Roczen has the underside of his brake pedal grooved so he can hook a toe to stay latched to the bike in the air or add lift.   I hate those times when I've jumped and feel like both boots have got some daylight between them and the pegs. 

Roczenpedal.GIF

I saw that on the TV recently too and thought it was a good idea ...then as I thought about it more, I realized that may not be too good for the master cylinder ...20-30 pounds of pulling up on the brake pedal could easily translate to over 100 pounds of force trying to pull the piston out of the master cylinder....something I doubt the MC was designed for. Food for thought.

• Like 1

fwiw, rod in the master cyl isn't attached to the piston, just pushes on it-doesn't pull

• Like 2

If your feet are coming off of the pegs when jumping there’s a really good chance you just aren’t clamping with your knees enough around the frame.

I would like some experienced guys to chime in on the discussion if its bad for the master cylinder or not.

5 minutes ago, Cardiffkx250f said:

If your feet are coming off of the pegs when jumping there’s a really good chance you just aren’t clamping with your knees enough around the frame.

I would like some experienced guys to chime in on the discussion if its bad for the master cylinder or not.

Feet coming off the pegs a bit when you jump is no big deal. Look at virtually any photo of a pro racer in the air, 99% of the time at least one foot is not on the peg, and many times, neither is.

52 minutes ago, highmarker said:

fwiw, rod in the master cyl isn't attached to the piston, just pushes on it-doesn't pull

I was thinking that the case with my Honda and Yamaha.

34 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Feet coming off the pegs a bit when you jump is no big deal. Look at virtually any photo of a pro racer in the air, 99% of the time at least one foot is not on the peg, and many times, neither is.

Yeah I've seen that.  My sensation is that the bike is ejecting out from beneath me.  Probably just a result of occasional bad timing on the unload.

• Like 1

Curious...why is there a cable attached to the pedal? (Sorry to go off topic)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, highmarker said:

True,  I guess I got carried away with my WCS  😁 

...I still I doubt the MC (and actuator rod) was designed for that pulling force.

• Like 1

Just now, Keneds said:

Curious...why is there a cable attached to the pedal? (Sorry to go off topic)

To help keep the lever from being ripped off and broken in a crash etc. There called a brake snake.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Em' ......  Roczen has a bit of experience and apparently his feet come off the pegs once in a while.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:50 AM, Cardiffkx250f said:

Ken Roczen is at the pinnacle of peak of performance in our sport. His requirements vs average Joe's requirements are two very different things.

As you mentioned, if the OP is having issues, it's his technique to blame.

5 minutes ago, Couchfit6 said:

Ken Roczen is at the pinnacle of peak of performance in our sport. His requirements vs average Joe's requirements are two very different things.

That explains why Tiger Woods golf clubs have not worked for me. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1