Demianu27

Help justify my choice (CRF250R)

1. Skill level: dirt novice/intermediate. I have extensive experience on the road (I'm a motor cop) and grew up riding trail dirtbikes in middle and high school, but I'm in my 30's now and haven't been on a dirt track or trail in 10 years.

2. Height/weight: 5'10/180

3. Bike(s) history: XR100, XR250, VS800, CB1100, Street Glide

4. Budget: none.

5. Terrain: 80% East coast MX tracks, 20% messing around on wooded trails.

6. Racing or toying around: both, but not racing competitively and pretty much just for fun.

My buddy who has been racing for 20 years told me I should just get a 450R, but even though I'm confident that I'd be comfortable with the power of a 450R, I'm choosing the 250R because I know the bike will far exceed my abilities anyway. I guess my only real question beyond that is if I'll be happy with the R over the RX.

Good choice I'd say. Still not a 2t but good enough. I think either might be a good choice. The R is more mx track focused  and rx woods. So stiffer suspension on the R, softer on the RX. I believe the RX has a wide ratio transmission. 

• Like 1

Unlike the Yamaha F and FX versions,

the new Honda CRF250RX (off-road race) has the same internal gear ratios as the R motocross.

From a few YouTube reviews I've seen, for many the 250RX may actually be better suited to recreational / occasional MX racing than the R.

Engine mapping that favors more low-to-mid engine power rather than less forgiving mid-to-high output of the MXer and, plusher suspension settings.

Slightly larger fuel capacity, side stand and a 18" rear wheel are also great off-roading features

than won't have a negative impact during MX track use (recreational).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate as much info as possible even though I know this question has been asked a thousand times recently (specifically, R vs RX). I'm going to the dealer today and will talk to my salesman about it. It looks like the RX is hard to find anyway, so that might be a deciding factor.