1981-82 XR100 Side Covers/number plates

So I have started fixing up my 81 XR100 I saved from my uncles Junkyard (old lady cleaning out her garage and wanted to get rid of it). I have it up and running but it needs a few things... My question is WILL the number plates from a 81 or 82 XR80 fit on my XR100? I have contacted Honda and not much help from them... I then tried Maier plastics and they have the plastic panels for the XR80 81-83 but that's it and they are not sure they will cross over. They told me to order the xr80 panels and see if they will work and IF i dont scratch them i can return them. Ebay, Craigslist, amazon are a no go. even contacted vintage bike shops in the EU and they had ONE XL side plate but it had just sold... ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED! THANKS!

Sounds like you should take your chances with the Maier plastics and see if they'll work. I'm definitely not familiar with the XRs that old. 

If you're afraid to scratch them while trying to see if they'll fit up,,, get some blue or green painter's tape and cover them. It'll protect the panels, and when you're ready to peel the tape off, it won't leave any glue residue. 

I've used that method many times in the past, and unless you do something dumb, you won't scratch through the tape.

Otherwise, you're just gonna have to keep an eye out on Ebay for some to show up. Good luck in your search

2 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Sounds like you should take your chances with the Maier plastics and see if they'll work. I'm definitely not familiar with the XRs that old. 

If you're afraid to scratch them while trying to see if they'll fit up,,, get some blue or green painter's tape and cover them. It'll protect the panels, and when you're ready to peel the tape off, it won't leave any glue residue. 

I've used that method many times in the past, and unless you do something dumb, you won't scratch through the tape.

Otherwise, you're just gonna have to keep an eye out on Ebay for some to show up. Good luck in your search

Thank you for the tips. Thats what im planning on doing. Not looking forward to shelling out the cashe for all the plastic (both fenders are gone as well) but id rather everything match vs some old plastic here and some new plastic there.

2 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Going by Honda only the 81 XR100 side covers will fit the 81 XR100

After i talked to them last week and did some measuring, an 81-82 will both interchange and according to a few part numbers it says Xr80s WILL FIT. How ever if that is true then that means the xr75s side panels with fit also. There is the cunonundrum.