XR80 points? NO Spark

IMG_1976.JPGIMG_1977.JPGIMG_1978.JPGIMG_1979.JPG

I’ve never worked on a points motor before I need to know what I need to do. Any experienced mechanics on here that could help me. Ps I realize the one point arm is broke

Looks like she's been left with water inside there...poor 'ol girl. Replace those points with new, set the gap at about 35thou and timing and you will be good to go. If you have no pilot light to check timing, we used to use a cigarette paper back in the day. While you're there, check those stator windings

• Like 1

Looks like she's been left with water inside there...poor 'ol girl. Replace those points with new, set the gap at about 35thou and timing and you will be good to go. If you have no pilot light to check timing, we used to use a cigarette paper back in the day. While you're there, check those stator windings

Okay thank you Champ

And this, i don't know - let's call it timing adjuster/advance shell/sleeve on the crank, belongs to the flywheel advance mechanism.

Rust never sleeps B)

P1010593.JPG

P1010594.JPG

Edited by Alexxxx

And this, i don't know - let's call it timing adjuster/advance shell/sleeve on the crank, belongs to the flywheel advance mechanism.
Rust never sleeps B)
P1010593.JPG.c0891617dc2eca9705e9d2558127c464.JPG
P1010594.JPG.65014fdaeb8edb43be8c23e978266c21.JPG

Yeah it’s still on the crank

Check out my post about using a transistor timing module and eliminating the points, condenser, and spark advancer. The part of the contact remaining looks burnt which could mean missing condenser (posssibly bad but I doubt it). Kinda seems like someone mangled the points with a screwdriver through the hole in the flywheel now that I look at your pics. Not sure how the spark advancer sleeve stayed on the crank but you’ll need to fix that, too.

• Like 1

rust is an issue but if you clean up the points cam and new points -- set the points at more like 0.014" (not 0.035) and i bet you get spark --be sure the wire is not grounded and make sure that the points cam is installed correctly --ie points are open when you are at tdc

• Like 1

It also appears that one of the magnets is missing from the flywheel. Did any biggish pieces come out when you pulled the flywheel off?  That might explain the bent mounting where the points spring/wire connects, probably the ultra wide point gap too.

• Like 1

I used to remove the point cam from my xr75 when I set the points, it gives you more room to work. Just make sure you get it back the same as before you take it out. Back in the day we replaced the needle jet and jet needle to get them to idle clean. Fun bikes. My friends and I used to race adult xr75 class at flat track. Good times

It also appears that one of the magnets is missing from the flywheel. Did any biggish pieces come out when you pulled the flywheel off?  That might explain the bent mounting where the points spring/wire connects, probably the ultra wide point gap too.

No picked it up off Craigslist and I’m not the first one to pull it because some marked on it with a sharpie

Check out my post about using a transistor timing module and eliminating the points, condenser, and spark advancer. The part of the contact remaining looks burnt which could mean missing condenser (posssibly bad but I doubt it). Kinda seems like someone mangled the points with a screwdriver through the hole in the flywheel now that I look at your pics. Not sure how the spark advancer sleeve stayed on the crank but you’ll need to fix that, too.

On the spark advancer sleeve is there something holding it on because I’ve been gently tugging on it and it won’t budge.

:cool: Probly stuck-rust, use some PB blaster on there and that should help to loosen it up..:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I suspect you'll need a puller, I'm pretty sure it is a taper fit and it is jammed onto the crank. You need to use a two or three jaw puller to get it off. Get some pressure pulling on  the rim of it and a good smack on the sleeve with a fairly stout punch and hammer should shock it off the taper.  It would be prudent to check the runout of the shaft to see if the crank is bent. Are there hammer marks on the outside of the flywheel? Could be a monkey broke the flywheel hammering on it trying to get it off.