Procom CDI for XR200R

Over on the CRF230F side of the forum there's a whole lot of talk about the Procom CDI and how much of an amazing improvement it makes on the crf230f's. 

This has made me wonder if they made one for the XR200R and if so why nobody talks about it. So I decided to search and found their website. I searched for my year which is a '90, and the bike isn't listed, yet a freaking z50 is? So I search for 2002 XR200R to see if anything changed just bc it's newer, and the only thing they show for it is a stator. They make the CDI for the 50's, 100's, all kinds of Honda bikes, but nothing for the XR200R. 

So I guess my question is, is there any way to get them to produce one for the XR200R, or is there anybody else out there making a performance CDI for the bike? 

I found this on "EK Racing performance CDI" on Ebay, but I really don't wanna trust something like this unless there's a lot of solid info on it 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252445731957

The XR/XL185/200s use a mechanical advance on the left end of the cam, most other XR/TLR/CRFs use a crank position sensor with  electronic advance in the CDI box. 
First issue is our Little Rs have a hemispherical combustion chamber that is more susceptible to detonation than other types of chambers.
Second is stock engines have a larger than optimum squish clearance.
Third is the 10:1 compression ratio compared to the 230s 9:1.  9:1 was typical for street versions of this engine.

Best news is the engine was designed for regular pump gas, but I've always used pump premium for a little extra margin of safety with a very hot engine, and it is easy to overheat an air cooled engine riding tight gnarl or in the mountain.  I have a Vapor on mine and have observed over 400F head temp in the mountains, which depending on engine load can result in bad things happening to the engine.

10.5:1 will work on a stock engine w/ pump premium and careful attention to ignition timing. 11:1 is too sensitive to jetting and overheating, and requires pump premium along with a bit less than stock ignition advance. However it will still produce ping events during tight ST riding. 

A stock 200 is an easy revving engine so if you want more bottom end use a 12 tooth counter shaft sprocket for an easy 8% increase in rear wheel torque. And if using an 18" rear wheel also add some teeth to the rear. :banana:

My last stock XR200R was a high mileage 1990 model and its compression was a bit low at 170psi vs the 195psi spec, and because of the low compression it ran well with a little extra spark lead.  

Spec timing is 10 initial ("F" mark) and 30 total. There are two full advance timing marks ("I I"); the first is 28 degrees, the second is 32 degree, spec is between the two. 
The stock advance mechanism provide 20 degrees of advance (providing the advance mechanism isn't worn) so initial at the "F" mark should result in total between the "I I" marks.  I limit my 218, w/ 11:1 and pump premium, to 28-29 total and I still get some ping events on tight ST. 

• Like 3

Sounds like a plan. When I get home from this job I have the XRs Only header to mate up to the FMF pc4 muffler, and probably need to change some jetting since it's got stock jetting, and try a 12t front sprocket. Probably should have some good bottom end grunt I hope

On 1/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, Daniel627 said:

Sounds like a plan. When I get home from this job I have the XRs Only header to mate up to the FMF pc4 muffler, and probably need to change some jetting since it's got stock jetting, and try a 12t front sprocket. Probably should have some good bottom end grunt I hope

Let us know what results your new pipe yields