2smokinCR

My new 1997 cr125!

So I just picked up this gem for 7 hundo. Guy had told me it was a 96 and I thought that as well until I got home and ran the vin and engine numbers. Turns out, it’s a 97!! Last year of the 6 speed, steel framed screamers! So in my opinion, I lucked out from the giddy-up. She’s in a little rough shape, leaks oil from everywhere, missing some here and there’s, and has a few broke bolts in some places. Leaky petcock( and it’s in backwards?!?)carb missing vent hoses, needs a pipe. Anyone have a stock 97 pipe?? Nothing major I don’t think yet. She runs and goes through the gears, but like I said, not the best. I plan on going through everything in the engine, splitting cases to replace gaskets and oil seals, and plan on doing a top end job on her. Clean power valves and such too. I’ll be starting the year down soon and will update with pics and progress. Anything to look out for? Isn’t my first cr rebuild so I’m pretty used to everything. Let me know what ya think!! Thanks. IMG_1101.JPGIMG_1100.JPGIMG_1099.JPG

• Like 2

Are you kidding that is incredible. You did really good. That bike is incredible take your time and go through it and then rail it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2smokinCR said:

So I just picked up this gem for 7 hundo. Guy had told me it was a 96 and I thought that as well until I got home and ran the vin and engine numbers. Turns out, it’s a 97!! Last year of the 6 speed, steel framed screamers! So in my opinion, I lucked out from the giddy-up. She’s in a little rough shape, leaks oil from everywhere, missing some here and there’s, and has a few broke bolts in some places. Leaky petcock( and it’s in backwards?!?)carb missing vent hoses, needs a pipe. Anyone have a stock 97 pipe?? Nothing major I don’t think yet. She runs and goes through the gears, but like I said, not the best. I plan on going through everything in the engine, splitting cases to replace gaskets and oil seals, and plan on doing a top end job on her. Clean power valves and such too. I’ll be starting the year down soon and will update with pics and progress. Anything to look out for? Isn’t my first cr rebuild so I’m pretty used to everything. Let me know what ya think!! Thanks. IMG_1101.JPGIMG_1100.JPGIMG_1099.JPG

Good score.  Ditch the tank graphics and all the cobb jons like hose clamp on carb. I have a very nice oem crank if need 😃

Are you kidding that is incredible. You did really good. That bike is incredible take your time and go through it and then rail it

Yeah buddy I’m super stoked. Thanks.

Just an observation but the airbox/swing arm's mudflap looks to be missing.

Carefully inspect the shock shaft for pitting from the roost of debris coming off the rear tire.

Despite replacing the seal it may leak/eat the seal and require a new shaft.

Unfortunately many don't realize the importance of replacing such a simple piece if damaged or missing.

A 15$ item that protects a 200$+ shock shaft.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

Just an observation but the airbox/swing arm's mudflap looks to be missing.
Carefully inspect the shock shaft for pitting from the roost of debris coming off the rear tire.
Despite replacing the seal it may leak/eat the seal and require a new shaft.

Unfortunately many don't realize the importance of replacing such a simple piece if damaged or missing.
A 15$ item that protects a 200$+ shock shaft.

I will make sure to check this out. I appreciate your eye bud.

Pressure washed the bike and am prepping to start teardown. Getting excited. IMG_1122.JPGIMG_1120.JPG

• Like 2

Making some progress...IMG_1137.JPGIMG_1138.JPGIMG_1140.JPGIMG_1141.JPG
Parts should be in end of the week. Gonna do a complete engine rebuild. Also I’m going to paint the frame back to white this week.

I have a question. I’ve rebuilt a few engines now but every time I plan on splitting the cases of an engine, I plan on replacing all tranny bearings, main bearings, all oil seals, crank, piston, basically the whole shabang. I’ve never split the cases to clean and just check stuff out and replace gasket and put back together. Is that a thing? The bike was running and after pulling the cylinder cap, the piston isn’t in bad shape and the cylinder is beautiful. Crank seems like it’s in good shape as well. Could I be doing a disservice to the bike by changing everything out? I wouldn’t think so, but I’m all ears. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, 2smokinCR said:

I have a question. I’ve rebuilt a few engines now but every time I plan on splitting the cases of an engine, I plan on replacing all tranny bearings, main bearings, all oil seals, crank, piston, basically the whole shabang. I’ve never split the cases to clean and just check stuff out and replace gasket and put back together. Is that a thing? The bike was running and after pulling the cylinder cap, the piston isn’t in bad shape and the cylinder is beautiful. Crank seems like it’s in good shape as well. Could I be doing a disservice to the bike by changing everything out? I wouldn’t think so, but I’m all ears. Thanks.

I wouldn't mess with any tranny bearings they rarely go bad and if do youll know. Get prox crank bearings and seals kit ,center case gasket and right side case cover gasket.  Prox crank bearings are koyo same as OEM 😊

• Like 1

I wouldn't mess with any tranny bearings they rarely go bad and if do youll know. Get prox crank bearings and seals kit ,center case gasket and right side case cover gasket.  Prox crank bearings are koyo same as OEM

So I can take the crank out, pit new bearings and seals and then put the same crank back in? Should I put a new one? Can I clean the inside and outside of each case half with tranny bearings still in? Just make sure to blow them out with air and put assembly lube when reinstalling tranny? Sorry, I’ve only replaced everything before.

3 minutes ago, 2smokinCR said:

So I can take the crank out, pit new bearings and seals and then put the same crank back in? Should I put a new one? Can I clean the inside and outside of each case half with tranny bearings still in? Just make sure to blow them out with air and put assembly lube when reinstalling tranny? Sorry, I’ve only replaced everything before.

Yes and yes . Get 3-4 cans of brake cleaner and go to town. Long as crank ok re use it but you want new crank bearings and seals 

• Like 1

IF you want to do a good job you have to do exactly what you planned: replace everything!

This is a 20 year old bike which has seen some hours...without knowing how it got serviced before...just replace everything right away rather than wait and have a 5$ bearing go bad only a few hours later on. You might spend a bit more now but those engines are bulletproof and when you do it all now you'll be rewarded with a great running and long lasting engine. Leave a 5$ bearing out and it might let go...and you'll do all the disassembly again spending more money than doing it right just now.

OEM parts only! Especially on the crank!

Also check the clutch basket and clutch hub for excessive wear and replace if needed. A new clutch might be useful as well to start with!

• Like 2

IF you want to do a good job you have to do exactly what you planned: replace everything!

This is a 20 year old bike which has seen some hours...without knowing how it got serviced before...just replace everything right away rather than wait and have a 5$ bearing go bad only a few hours later on. You might spend a bit more now but those engines are bulletproof and when you do it all now you'll be rewarded with a great running and long lasting engine. Leave a 5$ bearing out and it might let go...and you'll do all the disassembly again spending more money than doing it right just now.
OEM parts only! Especially on the crank!
Also check the clutch basket and clutch hub for excessive wear and replace if needed. A new clutch might be useful as well to start with!

Nino my man I was hoping you would chime in at some point. That was my original plan was to replace everything. I’m a stay at home dad right now so money isn’t on hand as much as it used to be. With that being said, I purchased a Honda top end kit with all oem parts and gaskets. I also purchased a Wiesco bottom end rebuild kit, along with a set of Hot Rods transmission bearings. I know I should’ve got oem everything, but just couldn’t afford it. Hence my question to Moto, if the crank is good in there (which I believe it is) even though it’s old, would it be better to replace bearings and reuse the Honda crank? I could return the bottom end kit, buy main bearings and go from there. I have a complete gasket and seal kit already. I’ve heard mixed reviews on Wiesco cranks and I’ve used them before when rebuilding bikes to sell. They worked great, but I didn’t own the bikes they were in long enough to see the longevity of it. I plan on keeping this 97 screamer for the foreseeable future though and want her to last. I plan on painting the frame this weekend back to white. Do a lot of cleaning of parts while I wait on parts. Thanks again for the advice bud and let me know what you think I should do.

I am pretty much a expert on these HPP engines and i can only suggest you stay clear of ALL aftermarket cranks! Get the OEM and it will last "forever". Defnitely best quality and longest lasting.

Me too i rebuilt a used '89. I use it for the italian vintage championships and did everything just as i suggested you above. BUT - me too i was a little hesitant on the crank. After all it's like 150$... ;) So i had it examined by two (!!) mechanics and both said "it seems ok-reuse it". Well - 12 hours of use later, while sitting in 3rd in the 2nd heat at the first race for the italian championships...after finishing 2nd in the 1st heat....300m from the finish this happened:

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

Edited by nino

So i rebuilt the whole bike and just because i tried to save 150$ i had this happen to me. Now i had to do a whole disassembly again, replace the lower bearings once more, new piston and all....getting a 2./- instead of a nice 2nd overall....NOT what i wanted :)

Do it right the first time-you won't regret it!

• Like 1

So i rebuilt the whole bike and just because i tried to save 150$ i had this happen to me. Now i had to do a whole disassembly again, replace the lower bearings once more, new piston and all....getting a 2./- instead of a nice 2nd overall....NOT what i wanted

Do it right the first time-you won't regret it!

Wow man that is crazy. I had a similar situation when one of the crank thrust washers decided to let go about an hour after a top end rebuild. Heartbreaking haha. Anyways, I already ordered all the bearings and stuff so I might as well replace everything while it’s opened up. I don’t race or really ride that much at all except with buddies in the woods a couple days a month. I’ll update with new pics and if you see anything else let me know please. Another question Nino, as far as the power valves go, do I need to remove them to clean? Or can I spray cleaner and gently brush clean? Cylinder looks phenomenal on the bike I’ll show a pic when I take it off. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, 2smokinCR said:

Wow man that is crazy. I had a similar situation when one of the crank thrust washers decided to let go about an hour after a top end rebuild. Heartbreaking haha. Anyways, I already ordered all the bearings and stuff so I might as well replace everything while it’s opened up. I don’t race or really ride that much at all except with buddies in the woods a couple days a month. I’ll update with new pics and if you see anything else let me know please. Another question Nino, as far as the power valves go, do I need to remove them to clean? Or can I spray cleaner and gently brush clean? Cylinder looks phenomenal on the bike I’ll show a pic when I take it off. Thanks again.

Disassemble the valves! After all it's just 2 bolts....and for installation follow my setup-guide here:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nino said:

I am pretty much a expert on these HPP engines and i can only suggest you stay clear of ALL aftermarket cranks! Get the OEM and it will last "forever". Defnitely best quality and longest lasting.

Me too i rebuilt a used '89. I use it for the italian vintage championships and did everything just as i suggested you above. BUT - me too i was a little hesitant on the crank. After all it's like 150$... ;) So i had it examined by two (!!) mechanics and both said "it seems ok-reuse it". Well - 12 hours of use later, while sitting in 3rd in the 2nd heat at the first race for the italian championships...after finishing 2nd in the 1st heat....300m from the finish this happened:

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

Thats rare right there 😳.  And from looks of it crank was not even close to being centered tight to right side. Prox rods are made in Japan and as good if not better than oem 😊 

I don't know, I think I would run the OEM crank that is already in it before I would swap it out for the wiseco.  I put a wiseco crank in an 2001 cr80 when my budget was super tight.  I ended up selling that bike to my next door neighbor for his kid to ride.  This kid absolutely putted the bike everywhere, he never even got it on the pipe.  We pulled the cylinder with less than 40 hours on that crank and the side to side clearance was about a quarter inch on each side.  I ended up helping him buy a 06 bottom end and we put the cylinder on that and it is still running after countless hours, (I bought it back from him a little over a year ago and am restoring it for my wife) I'm loving this build though.  Very nice platform.  I love that gen of 125.  I had a 94 with an Eric Gorr 144cc big bore kit and I still wish I hadn't had to sell it. 

Edited by frdbtr
  • Like 2