Is this normal? Bad fuel pump?

I ordered a pressure tester but just curious if i disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the  tank, shouldnt the fuel shoot out of the tube when the pump activates with ignition?  I have a 2018 FE 450 with a motocross muffler, vortex ECU and reed cage removed from intake.  I took a video.  

Edited by Frank Miele

No.  Take your injector out from bottom of throttle body, plug power in and fuel line and then see how the injector sprays by hitting the starter

thanks for the reply, by you saying no, you mean it looks like the fuel is kind of trickling out?  Will heed your advice and check injector as well as pressure.  I'm thinking that under load, with the demands of the Vortex ordering a greater volume of fuel than stock, the pump is just not capable of keeping up.  This bike was such a weakling from the factory.  I can't understand how they can make a 200HP 1 liter street bike that is DOT compliant yet the 450 enduro which is 0.45 liter gets less than 1/3 the power to displacement ratio.  

• Like 1

here is a video of what the fuel pump should be doing when turned on.  Granted this is a fuel pump that dies when fuel gets warm, but you can see that the pump doing its thing at 50psi looks way different than my little example..., 2 examples actually, you can see the force that the pump should generate.  I probably have a break somwhere in my tank... 

Edited by Frank Miele
added content
  • Like 1

How many hours on your bike?  Isnt it brand new?  boggles my mind all the problems I am seeing with these bikes.  Scary when your way deep in the bush...

What were the symptoms that came about that you pulled the fuel line off to check?  Maybe its a broken filter?

Edited by broke311

It is a new bike.  Only 150 miles on it. The symptoms of lagging performance only became apparent after installing the vortex.  Based on the lack of pull in higher RPMs- mike at mt racing and chris at blais racing both suggested i don’t have adequate fuel pressure.   I think the lack of force from an open fuel port suggest that the fuel system is losing some pressure.  Very possibly a cracked filter in the pump curcuit. 

How was the bike running before you did the mods?

when I bought the bike it was running fine.  I had a 2013 RMZ450 and I was amazed at what a lazy dog the FE450 was by comparison.  People told me that I shouldn't expect it to perform like a motocross bike.  Since the FE performed smoothly, meaning that power was linear and didn't lurch, didn't bog, it just had no balls, I thought it's just a low horsepower bike because it's smogged to the gills.  When I talked to 2 friends that had EXC 350s, they all thought I was crazy to want modify my FE 450 with the vortex and reeds, and muffler etc - they thought their EXC 350s were untamed beasts.  Turns out though that maybe my bike was just not getting enough fuel, if the fuel pump has a small rupture or is only firing at 25%..  maybe, don't know.  But i dropped off the FE with my regular bike mechanic.  I figure if it's not the fuel pump, maybe it's something else like a bad injector or something, he'll know what to do.  It's a shame though because my dealer should be fixing these problems and I'm not taking it there because they likely can't touch it as it is with the mods.  But I also believe that my guy will fix it right, based on miracles he's delivered in the past.  Sound Motorsports in Fairfield CT, Dave is the owner and always does a first rate job.   

when I bought the bike it was running fine.  I had a 2013 RMZ450 and I was amazed at what a lazy dog the FE450 was by comparison.  People told me that I shouldn't expect it to perform like a motocross bike.  Since the FE performed smoothly, meaning that power was linear and didn't lurch, didn't bog, it just had no balls, I thought it's just a low horsepower bike because it's smogged to the gills.  When I talked to 2 friends that had EXC 350s, they all thought I was crazy to want modify my FE 450 with the vortex and reeds, and muffler etc - they thought their EXC 350s were untamed beasts.  Turns out though that maybe my bike was just not getting enough fuel, if the fuel pump has a small rupture or is only firing at 25%..  maybe, don't know.  But i dropped off the FE with my regular bike mechanic.  I figure if it's not the fuel pump, maybe it's something else like a bad injector or something, he'll know what to do.  It's a shame though because my dealer should be fixing these problems and I'm not taking it there because they likely can't touch it as it is with the mods.  But I also believe that my guy will fix it right, based on miracles he's delivered in the past.  Sound Motorsports in Fairfield CT, Dave is the owner and always does a first rate job.   

Quick update on my Husqvarna 2018 FE 450 Fuel situation.  My mechanic ordered the Quantum fuel pump kit/upgrade from highflowfuel.com and removed the in line fuel filter.  he said that that little filter itself is creating enormous restriction all by itself.  But also the stock fuel pump was not holding pressure.  Long/short, the new pump, tune / adjustments and now, with the motocross muffler, no reed cage, vortex ecu, blocked off air pump vent, he said it easily pulls wheelies in 4th gear.  I haven't ridden it yet but he drove it before and after the new pump/filter/tune and said it's night and day.  If you bought one of these enduros from KTM/Husky and don't have anything to compare it to, you may not realize you are starved for fuel.  With some tweaks you should be able to get performance comparable to any full on motocross race bike.   I had that comparison point with my 2013 RMZ 450 and I was shocked at how little power my brand new FE 450 had.  Looking forward to the first real ride.  Thank you all for your suggestions and help diagnosing and fixing this bike.

• Helpful 1

ive been told by a reputable race builder that the stock fuel system provides plenty of PSI to fuel anyone's needs.... makes me wonder what problem you really had...  I have a vortex and need to be in medium high rpms and crack it in 4th and it will wheelie.....

Edited by broke311

On 2/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, Frank Miele said:

Quick update on my Husqvarna 2018 FE 450 Fuel situation.  My mechanic ordered the Quantum fuel pump kit/upgrade from highflowfuel.com and removed the in line fuel filter.  he said that that little filter itself is creating enormous restriction all by itself.  But also the stock fuel pump was not holding pressure.  Long/short, the new pump, tune / adjustments and now, with the motocross muffler, no reed cage, vortex ecu, blocked off air pump vent, he said it easily pulls wheelies in 4th gear.  I haven't ridden it yet but he drove it before and after the new pump/filter/tune and said it's night and day.  If you bought one of these enduros from KTM/Husky and don't have anything to compare it to, you may not realize you are starved for fuel.  With some tweaks you should be able to get performance comparable to any full on motocross race bike.   I had that comparison point with my 2013 RMZ 450 and I was shocked at how little power my brand new FE 450 had.  Looking forward to the first real ride.  Thank you all for your suggestions and help diagnosing and fixing this bike.

Mine is a gutless turd as well. I've complained about it from day one, but the dealer tested everything multiple times and assured me this is a completely normal Hunqashit.  I'm going to take a look at those fuel pumps, what "tune/adjustment " are you referring to?

Edit.. I checked out the fuel pumps. I already do business with Quantum,  purchasing pumps for track loaders etc. I didn't know they offered powersports products as well. I think I'm a little skeptical putting one of their pumps in my bike and riding 60 miles from my truck into BFE. This opinion is based on many many purchases from them for heavy equipment..........

Edited by wr250ish

By fuel tuning I’m referring to the throttle position sensor assembly and the Vortex Fuel trimming dials that allow fuel and air mix to be adjusted.  

I am glad this topic came up.  I rode a stock 2017 ktm 500 exc and it was not fast and ran hot.  Great info.