My nearly restored 1990 XR200R

complete rebuild, every bearing, bushing, and seal replaced. Complete engine overhaul. everything repainted or restored to my best abilities.  1985 xr250 front end.  waiting for a few more parts and i can start it and break in the engine. it has been a 6 month project. and a lot fun. 

Good looking bike. Now just needs a number plate or headlight. What's up with the super long throttle cable? 

I have a 1990 with '85 XR250R forks on it as well. While I've been working out of town I've been ordering parts for mine to finally have it in picture worthy "done" condition. Having the frame powder coated will have to wait. Gotta find an upholsterer to put my seat cover on and make alterations to make it fit perfectly. 

RK-REX, Maier is pretty much the only brand you're gonna find for the XR200R, unless you find OEM somewhere 

2 minutes ago, Daniel627 said:

Good looking bike. Now just needs a number plate or headlight. What's up with the super long throttle cable? 

I have a 1990 with '85 XR250R forks on it as well. While I've been working out of town I've been ordering parts for mine to finally have it in picture worthy "done" condition. Having the frame powder coated will have to wait. Gotta find an upholsterer to put my seat cover on and make alterations to make it fit perfectly. 

RK-REX, Maier is pretty much the only brand you're gonna find for the XR200R, unless you find OEM somewhere 

The used headlight assemblies on ebay are GOLD, or at least priced as such. I need one too. 

Thanks for the heads up on Maier, I'll have a look. 

i used all maier plastics, except i did find an OE front number plate. not mounted yet as the xr250 front end has no provesions for it. need to get crafty.  the super long throttle cable came with the chinese kehin pumper carb. we will see how that works. i havve the OE carb for a back up. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks that's what I was wanting to be sure of. I want the stock look boots and not the ones with a hundred ribs. Yes that was an exaggeration. But I don't like the look of the ones with a ton of ribs 

Edited by Daniel627
Typo

19 hours ago, FightingRed said:

Black and red is the best combo! What paint are you using? I’ve tried some VHM for kickstand and footpeg bar and it came off easily. Powder coating or catalyzed epoxy seems to be the best route still. 

I used rustoleum painters touch semi-gloss black its a paint and primer combo works great just takes a day or two to fully cure has great coverage too

• 2 weeks later...

After a bunch of people's comments about them here on TT I was hesitant to order them. But, I ordered my Daystar fork boots finally and they arrived. I'm in town today so I thought I'd test fit one to see what I think on my '85 XR250R forks. 

I learned, that, don't put them on if you plan on taking them back off. That was a bitch getting the damn thing back off. I should've lubed the fork with dish soap first. However, the bottom end that slides over the lower fork leg goes over it fairly easy, and the top slides on with a good snug fit. Unlike some of the aftermarket ones I've seen, they're not so loose that they look shitty and flop around. The inner diameter isn't much bigger than the fork tube itself. 

They're good quality heavy rubber, not lightweight flimsy junk. I think I'll be happy with them. That's my assessment so far.