My nearly restored 1990 XR200R

Yeah it's a little off, but there are no other options, so I don't really care. When i'm done the difference won't be noticeable anyways. 

I can't complain for the price. I found the cheapest seller on Amazon, $25 + $2 tax and free shipping. Was worried they might be wrong, but figured I could return them if needed

2 hours ago, Tbahr said:

The Maier plastic is junk. Too brittle, not drilled, color don't match. 

Too brittle is a problem. But I haven't seen a thread with a lot input from people saying "don't buy your only option for plastics from Maier cuz they're junk", so if it comes down to needing them and I can't find good used on Ebay, I'll do what I have to do and buy them. Yes they are gonna be a lighter weight material, but if you don't wreck or drop the bike, you don't find out how brittle they are. It's a dirt bike, those things are kinda expected. 

Not being drilled doesn't make them junk, just means you have to put a little effort into mounting an aftermarket item. You can't claim it's junk based on the color being off either. 

Due to patents, as a company making an aftermarket part, you can't exactly make your parts exactly to the same as OEM. That style of grommet and plug type mounting might be proprietary to Honda, same as their colors. 

Without being granted (at a cost i'm sure) the color formulas and right to use those formulas in your parts, you can only get close with your pigments to avoid lawsuits. That's why patent lawyers are a good thing. 

Maybe as a large XR200R and XR250R community, we could raise enough stink to get Honda to start making our plastics again? 

I know, wishful thinking cuz there's probably just not enough of us

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Too brittle is a problem. But I haven't seen a thread with a lot input from people saying "don't buy your only option for plastics from Maier cuz they're junk", so if it comes down to needing them and I can't find good used on Ebay, I'll do what I have to do and buy them. Yes they are gonna be a lighter weight material, but if you don't wreck or drop the bike, you don't find out how brittle they are. It's a dirt bike, those things are kinda expected. 

Not being drilled doesn't make them junk, just means you have to put a little effort into mounting an aftermarket item. You can't claim it's junk based on the color being off either. 

Due to patents, as a company making an aftermarket part, you can't exactly make your parts exactly to the same as OEM. That style of grommet and plug type mounting might be proprietary to Honda, same as their colors. 

Without being granted (at a cost i'm sure) the color formulas and right to use those formulas in your parts, you can only get close with your pigments to avoid lawsuits. That's why patent lawyers are a good thing. 

Maybe as a large XR200R and XR250R community, we could raise enough stink to get Honda to start making our plastics again? 

I know, wishful thinking cuz there's probably just not enough of us

Whoa, no need to quote patent law here. Let me expand on the nature of my opinion. I purchased a front and rear red fender for an 82 XR200. The color between the two were not close, the rear broke from a deflection on a tree, the front broke from accumulated mud on one ride! Now this is just my opinion based on my own results. Others results may vary. So I'm still giving Maier a 👎