Jump to content

Oil leak at power valve?

Recommended Posts

I have about 16 hrs on my 2018 250 XC, and there is what appears to be a continuous oil leak out of the front right of the engine. It looks like it may be coming from near the power valve mechanism where it goes from the case into the cylinder and spreading from there. I noticed it first when the bike was new after the first ride, but though it might be a remnant from assembly. It's been through a couple washes now and it's been coming back on subsequent rides. 90% sure it's transmission oil. Has anyone experienced this, and is it a sign that something is not right? Never noticed anything like this on my old Suzuki. I tried to capture it in the pics below but it's not as apparent as it is with the naked eye.
 
IMG_2379.thumb.jpg.2065728769c9e85a22aa92a28b6204fb.jpg
IMG_2380.thumb.jpg.8c56295db9d7c9c5611d3115ec295c82.jpg
IMG_2378.thumb.jpg.66a90434d645c3296e0c884a646ed3cb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can usually see evidence of a gasket peeking out around the edges of the PV cover, but I'm not seeing any. Are you sure there's a gasket under the cover?

The U shaped rubber gasket that seals the bottom of the cover can sometime not seal well too, especially if the cover gasket in that area isn't sealing well or is out of place or torn.

Make sure the hose clamps for the water pump and radiator hoses are tight, no leaking from them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure all of the side cover bolts are tight. When I did my top end I put gray rtv (like yamabond) on the rubber gasket as it was not sealing that well. I had spooge in that area but yours looks like transmission oil. Either way pull it apart and seal it with gray rtv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a rubber gasket around the PV screw. It can be torn when adjusting. I’m wondering if that o ring has failed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 10:54 PM, Trailryder42 said:

You can usually see evidence of a gasket peeking out around the edges of the PV cover, but I'm not seeing any. Are you sure there's a gasket under the cover?

The U shaped rubber gasket that seals the bottom of the cover can sometime not seal well too, especially if the cover gasket in that area isn't sealing well or is out of place or torn.

Make sure the hose clamps for the water pump and radiator hoses are tight, no leaking from them.

The gasket is there, but that rubber seal seemed to be the source of the leak.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:26 AM, bodge said:

Make sure all of the side cover bolts are tight. When I did my top end I put gray rtv (like yamabond) on the rubber gasket as it was not sealing that well. I had spooge in that area but yours looks like transmission oil. Either way pull it apart and seal it with gray rtv.

Added some gray rtv (Permatex motoseal) to the area near where the seal and gasket meet, and that seemed to seal it up.

Edited by nahvkolaj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nahvkolaj said:

The gasket is there, but that rubber seal seemed to be the source of the leak.

Added some gray rtv (Permatex motoseal) to the area near where the seal and gasket meat, and that seemed to seal it up.

My 2018 tpi leaked around the seal it looked similar to your pics. I put rtv on gasket and that solved the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my 2018, I took the power valve cover off and sanded the sealing surface on a glass plate with fine sandpaper.  There were several rough edges in the original casting.  Once I sanded it smooth, it sealed a whole lot better against the gasket surface.  

 

joe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×