YZ250FX vs CRF250R

I know it's apples and oranges but a lot of guys ask about the FX on the track. Here's how my '15 250FX compares to the '19 CRF250R.

57 y.o. C  rider     5' 10"-180 lbs.    15 hours on the Honda.

Powerband:  Major difference. The '18 and'19 CRF's scream on top end. Critics knock low end and say lesser riders need low end. I'm sorry but I'm a lesser rider and there is plenty of low end for me. I don't come out of corners needing to carry 30 foot doubles. The Yami has plenty of go but can be (relatively) slow to spool up.  ADVANTAGE HONDA

Suspension: Yamaha is way plusher. Much better in chop. Everywhere else about the same except big slaps (I can't carry some large table tops but am closing in on them).  As such I land flat after big air time. Honda handles bad landings better.  Blue way better in chop. Red slightly better on big (bad) landings.  SLIGHT ADVANTAGE YAMAHA

Chassis: The Honda is 10 lbs lighter but feels like 20. It handles like a freak. I am actually playing with the bike in the air I feel so good on it.  All my buddies keep saying how confident I look on the bike. That's because I am!   Yami felt great until I rode the Honda. Now blue feels like a cargo ship. It's always about what you're coming off. ADVANTAGE HONDA - BY A MILE

Cornering: There is simply no comparison. I'm 2x better w/ just 15 hrs on red.  My buddies who were in my sights are now nervous.  ADVANTAGE HONDA - BY A MILE

Clutch: Both have super easy pull, smooth shifting and good modulation. Can't comment on wear yet.  FYI, the '18 CRF was recalled for clutch failures. Since I have the '19 ...   TIE

Tuning:  Limitless on blue. Convenient 3 maps on bars for red.  PERSONAL PREFERENCE

MISC: The off throttle twitch on the Yami is easily remedied with a throttle tamer which works great in the woods but was a slight drawback on the track. A cross country bike is already at a disadvantage on the track. Throw on a throttle tamer and even a novice like me misses the fun of cracking that throttle. I have no glitchy things (yet) with the Honda.  Looking at bikes, the red machine is more refined in terms of fit and finish.  ADVANTAGE HONDA

Look at my bikes below. All blue and one red. I'm not a Yami hater and know I'm comparing a cross country bike to an MX bike on the track.  Act accordingly.

• Like 1

My son had a similar experience, although he is an MX racer. Went to Yamaha 250F's a few years back, thought they were incredible. Just got a new CRF and we sold the Yamahas. I think geometry changes, and multiple other small changes can make a world of difference on these bikes.

25 minutes ago, HSV-DirtRider said:

This video compares the CRF250RX but I found this video to be pretty informative.

A much more realistic comparison as both are enduro bikes.  

This basically says the CRF is still mostly an MX bike that Honda thinks it can pass off as an enduro bike.   Where the Yam is an actual enduro bike and apparently quite a good one.

• Like 2

I have been seriously considering both the CRF250RX and the YZ250FX. The trails I ride are more technical and require a much more compliant suspension and more low end to lug over certain obstacles. Right now leaning more towards the YZ250FX but...   I am really hoping Honda releases a new CRF250X in 2020 so I am waiting till then before I make a purchase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gatorfan said:

That passes for wit where you live?

No.  It was pure, unadulterated sarcasm.  

An MX bike beating an enduro bike on an MX track is a blindingly obvious result.  It is as obvious as declaring that a pickup truck is better at hauling lots of stuff than a sports car.  

Is the engine breaking on the CRF more or less than the YZ? I’d be interested in a 250F that is more free wheeling and doesn’t feel like you’re dropping anchor every time you roll of the throttle. I like the blip
and coast flow of my 2 stroke.

2 hours ago, MaddogYZ said:

Is the engine breaking on the CRF more or less than the YZ? I’d be interested in a 250F that is more free wheeling and doesn’t feel like you’re dropping anchor every time you roll of the throttle. I like the blip
and coast flow of my 2 stroke.

Turn your idle up until it starts to push going into corners, then back it off a couple of clicks. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 4:04 AM, MaddogYZ said:

I don’t have a 250F but have curious to get one. I’m a Yamaha guy and everything I read about the yz250f and FX says it has heavy engine breaking. I had a WR450 back in the day and did not like the heavy breaking.

All 4 strokes have some engine breaking from what I have seen.  Just shift up a gear, and its nearly gone.  When you are at bottom of hill or beginning of corner and want the power back, just tap the gear back down and throttle on.   I think KTM and a few other recent smoker bikes have it solved, but I used to hate the 2 stroke requirement of  having to rev the bike with the clutch pulled in going down hill just to keep the bike from fouling a plug. 

• 9 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, CDNSXV said:

A much more realistic comparison as both are enduro bikes.  

This basically says the CRF is still mostly an MX bike that Honda thinks it can pass off as an enduro bike.   Where the Yam is an actual enduro bike and apparently quite a good one.

Thanks your post just helped me....once again lol...I swear we look at all the same bikes...I’ve read so many of your posts

• Like 1