Okay so i got my drz to run on the road and she runs well... But not for long... It dies while riding and takes a few tries with the starter to run, also the bike will only start on high idle, if im driving I can put it in low idle and the last choke. Ive cleaned the jets but i guess I didnt clean them good enough. Ive been thinking about ordering the oem jets and putting them in, but ive also thought about doing the 3x3 mod. What do yall think I should do?

Yes I would get new oem jets, but it may be just the pilot jet that is your problem. 22.5 is stock. If you want to do the 3x3 mod , best get the James Dean kit and an extended fuel screw. The kit comes with a 25 pilot which will work good at low altitude cooler weather, but most people like the 22.5 for warmer, higher altitude. Every bike is a little different though.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem while restoring my S. While your jets might be clean, your pilot circuit's a primary suspect. Be sure the channel in your carb body connecting you fuel mixture screw and you pilot jet is clear. Blow with air or carb cleaner. At that, it's worth cleaning/investigating the port where your fuel mixture screw draws air. 

Another problem may be your throttle stop. If it's overly open/holding the valve more open than need be, it's taking vacuum away from the fuel mixture port at the other end of your carb. Try scfewing your throttle stop out, closing the valve all the way. Then you'll draw more gas to you pilot jet...

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First off thank yall for replying to my post. Ill be sure to check out the throttle stop. My carb has been double checked and its clean all the way threw. The problem im having is im running to lean, i already adjusted the float ball to a proper level and my friend who works on older bikes said to adjust the needle up to make it run richer. Because when I press the throttle down it will rev up a little bit but for the most part it will die once i try to go full throttle. Any ideas on whats going on? Thank yall once again for the time you give. Yall have a good one. A.C.

Happy to hear you’ve made headway!

Too lean; I’d make sure your throttle stop is closed sufficiently[emoji1362] That’s the easiest way to calibrate how much air’s coming in. Or perhaps you have a vacuum leak around the boots connecting your carb to the bike. Short of that, I’d double check to make sure your pilot circuit’s clean. If you haven’t, try removing your idle mixture screw and spraying in there with cleaner/air[emoji1362]

PROBLEM SOLVED.

So i took apart the carb one more time and i decied to swap the top of the main jet with the topstarter jet and it started right up and ran to the highest rpm, it puts out the torque and power now, it back fires a little after i release the throttle so ill still have to adjust the air fuel mixture screw and possibly the throttle cable but its running. Thank yall so much for your time and answers. Ill put the blinkers and the plastics on her give her a deep clean, insure, state inspection, and get it in my name. But first the motorcycle license. XD once again i cant thank yall enough and maybe ill see yall on the trails some day. A.C.

• Like 2