Tri county economic development district

Usually I am not on fascist book but I use it as an occasional alternative to craigslist. Just saw this. Buried in the comments is a survey monkey survey. IF you have a second take it. Anyone who knows this area knows How awesome LPO and Betey Bould are and how amazing it could be to connect and or expand up there. Apparently, the survey is tied to your PC because once you take it the link dissapears. Otherwise I would include the link here. Theres so much potential up there it could easily be a "destination" place to ride if done right.

tri.PNG

• Like 2

Do you know any details?

This is pretty positive. Obviously, some communities want tourism and visitors. What would Moab be without tourists?

If I have to drive 3+ hours to an ORV area, that is not that big of a deal, that's just part of our recreation. We aren't somehow entitled to riding areas within 30 minutes of our house.  

Chewelah passes ORV ordinance

In a 5 to 2 vote, the Chewelah City Council approved opening city streets to off-road vehicle (ORV) use in a move they hope will help boost tourism and improve recreation opportunities in the community. Chewelah Mayor Clancy Bauman said the city is hoping to increase its appeal to recreationists who use all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, four-wheel drive vehicles and dune buggies. Snowmobiles are not included in the ORV ordinance. 

“We are hoping to draw more recreationists to our town that can ride around and stop in at our restaurants and gas stations,” Bauman said. “Tourism is the main thing for our area, so we are doing what we can to encourage it. We also have local people with ATVs who couldn’t wait for us to get it open.”

The ORV ordinance that was passed at the Oct. 5 meeting took effect on Oct. 10, the required five days after the ordinance’s passage. In accordance with the city’s noise ordinance (10.25.080), ORV users can ride their vehicles within the city limits from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Riders must have an ORV license from the Department of Licensing, wear helmets and obey posted speed limits. Additionally, while riders have access to most of town, they are prohibited from using state Highway 395, and Main Avenue from Fourth Street East to State Highway 395. Riders may cross Highway 395 anywhere there is a direct intersection, such as Webster, Lincoln, Cozy Nook and King Streets. Opening Chewelah up to ORV use will be advantageous for riders who want to link to county roads that are also open for ORV use.

There are over 80 county roads that are open to off-road vehicle use throughout Stevens County. Detailed maps and description of those county roads are available at: http://www.co.stevens.wa.us/commissioners/BOCC_OHV_UseArea.htm.

However, some residents were not at all enthused about allowing ORV use of Chewelah streets, including Chewelah Golf & Country Club neighborhood resident Nick Nicholas. “I am in opposition to any ordinance that would allow ORVs on the streets by the golf course,” said Nicholas. “The golf course is a non-profit corporation owned by the residents who live there and if we had ATVs out spinning donuts on the golf greens, it would take thousands of dollars to repair.” Despite the comment, the council passed the ORV ordinance to apply to streets around the golf course as well.

Council woman Krisan LeHew suggested the council review the ordinance in a year and make changes if needed, but a date for the review was not set at the Oct. 5 meeting. For more information about the City of Chewelah ORV ordinance, visit www.cityofchewelah.org or call 935-8311.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, highmarker said:

They have huge drug related problems and are trying to reinvent. Someone I know just bailed out of Chewelah.

My house is about 25 minutes outside of Chewelah(half way bewteen Chewelah and Colville). I would say the draw to living out there is you can be 25 minutes out and be in absolutely nowhere with no neighbors. DT Chewelah is definitely an s-hole though. Addy looks like a 3rd world nation. But owning this house since '99 it was honestly news to me there's a drug problem there. Goes to show there are two totally different worlds out there because I am NEVER EVER go DT Chewelah.

Money is moving in though, They just put in some fancy breweries in DT Colville and everytime I turn around there are new things coming to Coleville. You can still buy pretty cheap out there but properties are rising out there for sure now. I think its all the west siders escaping or retiring out there in droves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Chewelah passes ORV ordinance

In a 5 to 2 vote, the Chewelah City Council approved opening city streets to off-road vehicle (ORV) use in a move they hope will help boost tourism and improve recreation opportunities in the community. Chewelah Mayor Clancy Bauman said the city is hoping to increase its appeal to recreationists who use all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, four-wheel drive vehicles and dune buggies. Snowmobiles are not included in the ORV ordinance. 

“We are hoping to draw more recreationists to our town that can ride around and stop in at our restaurants and gas stations,” Bauman said. “Tourism is the main thing for our area, so we are doing what we can to encourage it. We also have local people with ATVs who couldn’t wait for us to get it open.”

The ORV ordinance that was passed at the Oct. 5 meeting took effect on Oct. 10, the required five days after the ordinance’s passage. In accordance with the city’s noise ordinance (10.25.080), ORV users can ride their vehicles within the city limits from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Riders must have an ORV license from the Department of Licensing, wear helmets and obey posted speed limits. Additionally, while riders have access to most of town, they are prohibited from using state Highway 395, and Main Avenue from Fourth Street East to State Highway 395. Riders may cross Highway 395 anywhere there is a direct intersection, such as Webster, Lincoln, Cozy Nook and King Streets. Opening Chewelah up to ORV use will be advantageous for riders who want to link to county roads that are also open for ORV use.

There are over 80 county roads that are open to off-road vehicle use throughout Stevens County. Detailed maps and description of those county roads are available at: http://www.co.stevens.wa.us/commissioners/BOCC_OHV_UseArea.htm.

However, some residents were not at all enthused about allowing ORV use of Chewelah streets, including Chewelah Golf & Country Club neighborhood resident Nick Nicholas. “I am in opposition to any ordinance that would allow ORVs on the streets by the golf course,” said Nicholas. “The golf course is a non-profit corporation owned by the residents who live there and if we had ATVs out spinning donuts on the golf greens, it would take thousands of dollars to repair.” Despite the comment, the council passed the ORV ordinance to apply to streets around the golf course as well.

Council woman Krisan LeHew suggested the council review the ordinance in a year and make changes if needed, but a date for the review was not set at the Oct. 5 meeting. For more information about the City of Chewelah ORV ordinance, visit www.cityofchewelah.org or call 935-8311.

Local tip. If you open up google maps of the mtns out there and look at all the service rds....unlike on the west side they are all open with no  or very few gates. Its a paradise for someone with a KTM 500/690 to explore. Would take a lifetime to explore it all. Thats why there is just so much potential for singletrack.

• Like 2

I have relatives in Metaline, Ione and Sullivan Lake areas. Spent a lot of my youth tooling around on mini-bikes all over the area. There used to be quite a few young folk in Ione and we rode single track all around town, up to smackout pass, etc. Then the quads showed up and most of the single track became quad width. Nowadays the town is dying and almost nobody does anything up there.