SS109

Running out of energy

I'm 48, 5'7", and 140 lbs. I have hypoglycemia, and, even at my age, a high metabolism. I have an issue with running out of energy in a race that lasts over about 2 hours. I get depleted and then start making mental mistakes (stalls, crashes, etc) leading to more energy being drained. Haven't had an issue until this year. I try to keep an ok diet and keep fully hydrated but don't do anything special for a race. I've tried Hammer gels and their counterparts (90-100 calories) during a race but they don't give me enough to keep charging.

So, what can I do to load up before a race and what about during a race?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SS109 said:

I'm 48, 5'7", and 140 lbs. I have hypoglycemia, and, even at my age, a high metabolism. I have an issue with running out of energy in a race that lasts over about 2 hours. I get depleted and then start making mental mistakes (stalls, crashes, etc) leading to more energy being drained. Haven't had an issue until this year. I try to keep an ok diet and keep fully hydrated but don't do anything special for a race. I've tried Hammer gels and their counterparts (90-100 calories) during a race but they don't give me enough to keep charging.

What kind of cardio do you have? What do you do besides riding? How long do you ride? When you say hypoglycemia are you also relating to you  being diabetic? Do you crosstrain say riding bicycle for the same or longer periods of time riding? Do you ride longer than your races last? Are you simulating your racing while you go riding? You are 48. Have you tried changing your style if riding to pace yourself to expend less energy ? I think you kind of know where you are physically and know it takes more work and more strategy the older you get in racing. Training is sort of a ya gotta do it type thing but if you aren’t then it’s lower your expectations of a better result and adapt your riding style and setup and preparation before a race. In my case Ive had a couple of heart attacks and have 4 stents in my heart, have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I take insulin and take a handful of different medsmorning and night. I must test my sugars. I’m also racing on blood thinners which isn’t the greatest idea but I’m adapting my riding style so I feel I’m lessening my chances of injury. If you’ve been racing awhile realize that you have experience and skills that you can tap into that a bunch of younger racers don’t have. Younger guys all are more fit so if you aren’t training then it’s technique and strategy and good decisions that may be your only edge. There’s a bunch of things that might help you. For me being relaxed and concentrating on relaxed paced breathing helps me. For me swimming helps me with breathing correctly and helping me pace myself. I race short shifting in higher gears and lower rpm. I’m calm. I’m not in shape now but working on improving that so I can only tap into what few benefits of experience as an edge I have for a 59 yr old vet racer guy with a gut still lining up for races. My last sprint enduro had an interesting format. So it was was a 4 moto format. Each of the 3 different first loops/motos were about 50 minutes to an hour for a lap. The 4th moto was the 3 loops linked together. So it ended up being a good day of riding being maybe around 5 and a half to 6 hours of racing. I did ok. I just paced myself and timed it and saved enough energy so there was just enough for a little sprint at the last moto.  I check my sugars with a tester and my drink mix included an ON  amino acid drink mix with some electrolyte mix and a little orange juice and ice and water. I just have been trying different mixes so I can help last for long races.. and Im far from being in good shape. My cardio is weak and my strength isn’t good. I’m just riding at a good clip that I can last riding a longer time and never over my head. Breathing regularly and consistently and being calm. If a guy is way fadter than me I don’t care. I feel that I can be just as fast at the beginning of a race as the end and sometimes Im faster at the end. I’m not going fast like I could when I was young but I don’t make many mistakes. It’s my only edge being fat and old and out of shape. I worked hard to past 2nd place half way through the race then I &%$#@!ed up and missed a ribbon and he passed me back. I got third. Good enough. I was happy. I didn’t cramp or fall or get hurt. I felt good after the race. My sugars were good after the race. My strategy this time worked and I was out of shape and raced for about 6 hours. 

I need to go to the gym and swim more and ride bicycle and just ride more dirtbike for longer periods of time. Strategy only helps some. Being fit is my goal this year. Step by step. I stopped eating meat this past year. I feel better but I need to get rid of my fat stomach and be fit to improve much more.

• Like 1

Try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to gain endurance. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting!  Do you have any heart rate data from the race along with food logs of what you eat?  It sounds to me that you don't have enough stored sugar (i.e. glycogen) in your muscles and liver.  Your liver feeds your brain (depleted as you stated), muscles feed activity (late race fatigue).  

Unless the race is really hot and humid, you want to be careful about "loading up" with carbs.  Your body will retain 2.8 grams of water for every gram of stored glycogen.  Helpful to pre-hydrate the body, but that is different than having enough energy.  

Feel free to email me anything you have to me at contact@CoachRobb.com .  Look forward to looking at your info.

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 5:02 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

What kind of cardio do you have? I don't understand. Do you mean any additional training/exercise involving cardio? If so, no, I do not currently. However, I have been planning to get back to riding bike to help with that. What do you do besides riding? Eat, sleep, work. How long do you ride? Normally 3+ hours (60+ miles) with only a stop for fuel. When you say hypoglycemia are you also relating to you  being diabetic? Negative. Just a low blood sugar issue. I can control it with just eating 4-5 small meals a day. Do you crosstrain say riding bicycle for the same or longer periods of time riding? Not currently. Do you ride longer than your races last? Normally, yes. However my last race I was out for almost 5 hours and it whooped me. Are you simulating your racing while you go riding? Yes, as best I can. You are 48. Have you tried changing your style if riding to pace yourself to expend less energy ? Yes, I have tried to back it down a bit. I'm not trying to win trophies or anything as I know I'm not that fast. My goal is to finish and not be dead last! I think you kind of know where you are physically and know it takes more work and more strategy the older you get in racing. Training is sort of a ya gotta do it type thing but if you aren’t then it’s lower your expectations of a better result and adapt your riding style and setup and preparation before a race. Yeah, I've always been lucky physically and haven't had to work that hard to maintain myself so I've been lazy. Now it seems I will have to implement a plan of cross training, gym time, and a better diet. In my case Ive had a couple of heart attacks and have 4 stents in my heart, have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I take insulin and take a handful of different medsmorning and night. I must test my sugars. I’m also racing on blood thinners which isn’t the greatest idea but I’m adapting my riding style so I feel I’m lessening my chances of injury. If you’ve been racing awhile realize that you have experience and skills that you can tap into that a bunch of younger racers don’t have. Younger guys all are more fit so if you aren’t training then it’s technique and strategy and good decisions that may be your only edge. There’s a bunch of things that might help you. For me being relaxed and concentrating on relaxed paced breathing helps me. For me swimming helps me with breathing correctly and helping me pace myself. I race short shifting in higher gears and lower rpm. I’m calm. I’m not in shape now but working on improving that so I can only tap into what few benefits of experience as an edge I have for a 59 yr old vet racer guy with a gut still lining up for races. My last sprint enduro had an interesting format. So it was was a 4 moto format. Each of the 3 different first loops/motos were about 50 minutes to an hour for a lap. The 4th moto was the 3 loops linked together. So it ended up being a good day of riding being maybe around 5 and a half to 6 hours of racing. I did ok. I just paced myself and timed it and saved enough energy so there was just enough for a little sprint at the last moto.  I check my sugars with a tester and my drink mix included an ON  amino acid drink mix with some electrolyte mix and a little orange juice and ice and water. I just have been trying different mixes so I can help last for long races.. and Im far from being in good shape. My cardio is weak and my strength isn’t good. I’m just riding at a good clip that I can last riding a longer time and never over my head. Breathing regularly and consistently and being calm. If a guy is way fadter than me I don’t care. I feel that I can be just as fast at the beginning of a race as the end and sometimes Im faster at the end. I’m not going fast like I could when I was young but I don’t make many mistakes. It’s my only edge being fat and old and out of shape. I worked hard to past 2nd place half way through the race then I &%$#@!ed up and missed a ribbon and he passed me back. I got third. Good enough. I was happy. I didn’t cramp or fall or get hurt. I felt good after the race. My sugars were good after the race. My strategy this time worked and I was out of shape and raced for about 6 hours. Wow, good job! I don't have an ego when racing either. I let the faster guys go and I try to ride calm and smart like you. I try to keep the same pace throughout the race and will only put on a small charge when I know I'm close to the end.

I need to go to the gym and swim more and ride bicycle and just ride more dirtbike for longer periods of time. Strategy only helps some. Being fit is my goal this year. Step by step. Same here. I stopped eating meat this past year. I feel better but I need to get rid of my fat stomach and be fit to improve much more.

Good luck and thanks for your insight and advice!

On 1/31/2019 at 6:41 AM, BUNK657 said:

Try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to gain endurance. 

I'll have to look in to that as I've never heard of it. Thanks!

On 1/31/2019 at 6:57 AM, Coach Robb said:

Thanks for posting!  Do you have any heart rate data from the race along with food logs of what you eat?  It sounds to me that you don't have enough stored sugar (i.e. glycogen) in your muscles and liver.  Your liver feeds your brain (depleted as you stated), muscles feed activity (late race fatigue).  

Unless the race is really hot and humid, you want to be careful about "loading up" with carbs.  Your body will retain 2.8 grams of water for every gram of stored glycogen.  Helpful to pre-hydrate the body, but that is different than having enough energy.  

Feel free to email me anything you have to me at contact@CoachRobb.com .  Look forward to looking at your info.

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb

Sadly, no heart rate data but it has been something I have been wanting to know myself. I've been thinking about going and getting my heart checked out as my grandmother had a quadruple bypass in her early 50's and my dad had a stroke and heart attack, together, in his early 50's as well. Makes me wonder if something is going on in there I should be aware of. No food logs, as I said above, I've been lazy. About the only healthy thing I actually do is drink a 32oz Body Armor everyday. I still eat lots of red meat and drink soda everyday. Ugh. Time to get a plan together.

• Like 1

Some advice for HIIT workouts, take it easy until you get use to it. Oh, and don't be like me (45 and try to workout like I'm 20). Right now I'm nursing a strained pectoral major tendon and slight tear in my right elbow. I won't be lfiting for a couple of weeks. It sucks.

• Like 1

You need to eat two bananas and two cliff bars two hours before race, then two gatorades, a banana and one cliff bar 15 minutes before race. 

If you are primarily drinking water, it’s stripping your body of energy  You need something with fuel in it  I use Gatorade and v8

Start a exercise program of very low intensity that covers various and all parts of your body, also some light jogging or speed walking. Slowly increase the intensity and reps. 

Ive been doing this 4 months. My routine is

stretch

75 jump rope

50 jumping jacks

30 push ups

bar bells in about 6 different ways

25 frog jumps

light abdominal work

the above 2x per day

urban hiking with 20 pound backpack 1 hr

i started with less than above and slowly worked to that. I also ride for 4-6 hrs in hard enduro 2x per week. 

At one point I raised the intensity too high and I felt a tear in my left Achilles, also got fatigued. So I dialed back a bit. If something hurts or is a drag, dial it back.

Now I have almost zero arm pump, much stronger on bike and no cramps. My weight increased 5 pounds in 4 months, waist shrank 1-2 inches  

I am 51 yrs old, 6’ and 220lbs. 

• Like 5

I just want to say that you guys are complete studs and an inspiration.

I think to the OP you gotta get on the diet. I really think that going lighter on the carbs and getting more healthy fats and protein is key. Of course when you are going to hammer down for racing or long periods in the saddle you want more carb- but you put them in because you will burn them. I’ve had a lot of success with upping the proteins and fat and even on high mileage mtn bike rides I’m no longer bonking. It is more like I know I’m running out of gas and I can refuel with enough time to kick in.

Perhaps Coach can chime in here as I do wonder how my intermittent fasting has seemed to help as well. During the work week I will try to eat only between the hours of 10am and 6pm and when I do eat it is very healthy.

40 years old 6’ 170

And the other thing is the gym workouts every day after work. Huge. Your muscles don’t get tired on the bike you are stronger way longer. Why don’t we do this when we are kids damn it.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 9:05 PM, mikerides33 said:

I just want to say that you guys are complete studs and an inspiration.

I think to the OP you gotta get on the diet. I really think that going lighter on the carbs and getting more healthy fats and protein is key. Of course when you are going to hammer down for racing or long periods in the saddle you want more carb- but you put them in because you will burn them. I’ve had a lot of success with upping the proteins and fat and even on high mileage mtn bike rides I’m no longer bonking. It is more like I know I’m running out of gas and I can refuel with enough time to kick in.

Perhaps Coach can chime in here as I do wonder how my intermittent fasting has seemed to help as well. During the work week I will try to eat only between the hours of 10am and 6pm and when I do eat it is very healthy.

40 years old 6’ 170

And the other thing is the gym workouts every day after work. Huge. Your muscles don’t get tired on the bike you are stronger way longer. Why don’t we do this when we are kids damn it.

Agreed - diet is where it is at.  You don't have to get too crazy, just snack every 2 hours with fresh fruits, vegetables and lean protein to stabilize blood sugar levels.  Drop the sodas and increase your water intake (up to half of your body weight in ounces of water (150 pounds/2 = 75 ounces over an 8 to 10 hour day)) and keep your intensity levels LOW.  The higher your intensity, the more stored SUGAR you burn not fat.  This is where a heart rate monitor will be beneficial.  

Regarding intermittent fasting - it works on a scale because you are going so long without consuming food.  Remember, the body retains 2.8 grams of water with every gram of sugar (carbs) it converts to stored glycogen (in your liver and muscles).  If you don't take in food, your water weight is down.  The idea that your body taps into stored fat when food is spared is true at a blood chemistry level; however, the big variable to why the body weight stays low is more of the water retention variable.  

We have our athletes do some workouts without eating, but don't do it often because it can be too stressful for someone that is holding down a full time job, family and trying to workout.  

Start with diet, add water and reduce the intensity to drop those unwanted pounds.  I have used this formula for 35 years with fantastic results - it isn't about me, it is about the principles of food and exercise without the marketing hype. 

-Coach Robb 

• Like 2

Man I do a lot of dumb stuff when I get tired too. I get sloppy towards then end of the day