mxengineer4

2019 Beta 200RR: Less is More!!!

Got a chance to test ride a new 2019 Beta 200RR the other week.  Basically putting around a big parking lot for about 15 minutes.  Wow!!  Was such a fun test ride I decided to take it home with me!  Weather has not been nice here in Ohio lately so only got in about an hour of riding on a small off road loop that was slippery and a little frozen (around 28F).  Here are my initial impressions of the 200RR from the ride.  

E-start works great.  Engine ran smooth with clean response even after putting around slowly at low rpm's (oil injection seems to work well).  Surprisingly strong initial low end response that leads into a smooth increase in power as the rpm's climb.  Easy to roll on the throttle and carry a wheelie while shifting gears.  The engine revs quickly yet the power is smooth and linear - much more than I expected for a 200.  The large silencer keeps the bike quiet.  Engine vibration level is low.  Ergos are good with a slightly smaller overall feel compared to the 250/300RR.  The 200RR is light to move around on and agile in motion.  Suspension moved freely and felt plush however the trail I rode was relatively smooth and speeds were low.  During the  initial test ride I did hit some speed bumps in the parking lot in 3rd gear and easily wheeled over and absorbed the bumps.  Comes with the usual dual sport friendly front and rear brake light switches, HI/LO beam headlight, speedo, DOT approved tires, oil injection, perfect jetting, ...pretty much gas and go off the showroom floor.  There is something about this new Beta 200RR.  The combination of small bore agility with more torque than expected makes for a totally fun bike to ride!  Sometimes less is more!:)  A few pics....

AAIMG_3397_2.jpg

IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_3401_2.jpg

IMG_3386_2.jpg

IMG_7386.JPG

IMG_3398_2.jpg

IMG_7454-1.jpg

Edited by mxengineer4
added pictures
  • Like 19
  • Helpful 2

"weather has not been nice"

no kidding, I've had two very short rides and one short one on mine. 

but enough to know it will be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

thanks for taking the time to put up another review. Lots of people waiting in the wings to hear this. I'm headed to the Beta dealer tomorrow, last two times I went I came home with bikes. Who knows......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

thanks for taking the time to put up another review. Lots of people waiting in the wings to hear this. I'm headed to the Beta dealer tomorrow, last two times I went I came home with bikes. Who knows......

Yea I went to my local Beta dealer to just check out the 200RR.  Was able to take it for a spin and it was so much fun to ride!  It felt like a modern and better version of the KDX200 - a bike I have fond memories of.  We got about 5" of snow last night.  Took a few tries to warm up the battery (as usual for these Li batteries) but started up and ran fine...in 12F temps!  Love sliding around in the snow.  The oil injected Beta's run so clean.  Smiles per mile is high on the Beta 200RR!

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful bike! I think Beta hit a homerun on this one. I'm a YZ250 2-smoker man through and through, but am so tempted to add one of these to the stable.

IMO, KTM really dropped the ball when they dropped the 200. They should have continued to improve it. Left a big hole, and Beta filled it very nicely.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, mxengineer4 said:

Yea I went to my local Beta dealer to just check out the 200RR.  Was able to take it for a spin and it was so much fun to ride!  It felt like a modern and better version of the KDX200 - a bike I have fond memories of.  We got about 5" of snow last night.  Took a few tries to warm up the battery (as usual for these Li batteries) but started up and ran fine...in 12F temps!  Love sliding around in the snow.  The oil injected Beta's run so clean.  Smiles per mile is high on the Beta 200RR!

IMG_7469.jpg

Did you buy from Iron Pony...I saw they had one in stock which is gone now...

I'm sure you already did but might want to double-check your jetting with the cold temps.  

Looks like your bike has the 15t counter shaft sprocket on it. Heard bikes where coming that way. Should have a 13t on it. Beta went through and put 13t on the demo bikes before anyone rode them. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

when my older kids were much younger one had a kdx 250, the other a 200. I didn't ride it much, but yeah, the light feel is similar, but other than that .... how about somewhere between that and a 2000ish ktm 300 I had a spin on?

fluffy snow is fun, ours was followed by freezing rain.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mxengineer4 said:

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to review your new bike. I love the red rim tape (never been fond of the black rims that have become such a fad). The 200RR is such a good looking bike, and it is good to hear that it works well too. 

That looks like the perfect amount and texture of snow to really have a blast on over smooth ground. I'm impressed that you were able to slide around without drama. That says a lot about the way the engine delivers power, without sudden surges trying to put you on your head. 

I wish you the best with your new sweetheart, and I hope Spring comes early in Ohio!

P.S. Did you get her plated already?

Edited by Old Plonker

Awesome, he said he was in third gear in the corners and was pulling with minimal or no clutch. That was a strong pace for the snow. It was holding it's line great.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BassMan said:

Awesome, he said he was in third gear in the corners and was pulling with minimal or no clutch. That was a strong pace for the snow. It was holding it's line great.

You speak Finnish? 

1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

You speak Finnish? 

That's what I was thinking. I know there's a lot of knowledgeable folks on here, but geez a translator too 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cullins said:

Looks like your bike has the 15t counter shaft sprocket on it. Heard bikes where coming that way. Should have a 13t on it. Beta went through and put 13t on the demo bikes before anyone rode them. 

Yes comes with a 15T CS.  Owners manual shows final drive of 15/49 for RR200 and 14/49 RR200 Europe.  Honestly in my brief rides I thought maybe +1T or +2T on the rear sprocket to tighten up the jump from 3rd to 4th.  This engine has such good low end torque it pulls the higher gearing well and gives the power a longer and more linear feel.  I have a 14T CS I may try at some point.  The bike is working so good now I am not motivated to change anything.....other than this crappy Ohio weather!

7 hours ago, TheWolfman said:

Did you buy from Iron Pony...I saw they had one in stock which is gone now...

I'm sure you already did but might want to double-check your jetting with the cold temps.  

Yes I bought the first 200RR that showed up at Pony Powersports in Columbus, Ohio (my 4th Beta from Pony to date).   

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mxengineer4 said:

Yes comes with a 15T CS.  Owners manual shows final drive of 15/49 for RR200 and 14/49 RR200 Europe.  Honestly in my brief rides I thought maybe +1T or +2T on the rear sprocket to tighten up the jump from 3rd to 4th.  This engine has such good low end torque it pulls the higher gearing well and gives the power a longer and more linear feel.  I have a 14T CS I may try at some point.  The bike is working so good now I am not motivated to change anything.....other than this crappy Ohio weather!

i just threw a 14T on mine and so far im liking it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wilderness said:

i just threw a 14T on mine and so far im liking it

So 14T does not make it pull through the powerband to quickly?  Or make you shift a whole lot more?  14T just work better overall?  I know with with 15T I can cruise on the road easily at 45mph and even 50mph is workable for short distances.

1 hour ago, mxengineer4 said:

So 14T does not make it pull through the powerband to quickly?  Or make you shift a whole lot more?  14T just work better overall?  I know with with 15T I can cruise on the road easily at 45mph and even 50mph is workable for short distances.

I cant speak for the 45/50mph stuff? i do like how it feels lugging around through the tight stuff, makes 3rd more useful in my case

8 bucks from rocky mountain its worth a try. I might ever pick up a 13T just to test but im happy with the 14T for the trail i have around the house 

Edited by Wilderness

20 minutes ago, firffighter said:

14/46 was the go to gearing for 90% of KTM 200 owners. 

Thats super close to the stock 15/49, which wasnt bad. The 200 has enough on the bottom to make it work