mxengineer4

2019 Beta 200RR: Less is More!!!

On 2/9/2019 at 8:36 AM, mxengineer4 said:

Noticed a small issue today.  The silencer to expansion chamber rubber boot is leaking a little oil spooge.  Need to add some sealer to the joint. 

One option: 2018+ KTM TPI header to silencer coupler. Super long and secured by tight metal bands. It's about $12. I tried cable ties and RTV and over time the OEM beta (same as KTM pre 18) simply wears out.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

As dirtbird wrote, I confirm there is no flat spot while in the woods. Jetting was changed for finnish winter and sub-zero temps, PV preload was at stock position and stock sprockets for EU (49-14). Also much heavier than stock rear tire with spikes seemed to not affect one bit the excellent pull from this engine. The ones writing that they like the 15 teeth sprocket in US, just do yourself a favor and try the 14 teeth, unless you want to use the bike mainly on fireroads or just for cruising. It will make 3rd-4th gears much more useful through the woods and during special tests and 2nd will be good for tighter much more technical going. Weight feeling is completely different to my 300 2018. It is much lighter during action, although the 300 is light to throw around. It is almost like the 125 that I tried few days before I tried the 200. There is no comparison really to the bigger bikes. Do not go by the small differences on paper      

• Like 3
  • Helpful 3

FYI to anyone buying Acerbis frame guards for the 200. These were ordered from Rocky Mountain. Package was labeled for the 250/300 when i received it. I had to modify to make them work. Rear brake reservoir is misaligned so i added clearance as well as clearance for the kickstand spring. All else lines up good. No complaints just a heads up, 5 minutes with a dremel and your good to go 

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leon_gasgas said:

As dirtbird wrote, I confirm there is no flat spot while in the woods. Jetting was changed for finnish winter and sub-zero temps, PV preload was at stock position and stock sprockets for EU (49-14). Also much heavier than stock rear tire with spikes seemed to not affect one bit the excellent pull from this engine. The ones writing that they like the 15 teeth sprocket in US, just do yourself a favor and try the 14 teeth, unless you want to use the bike mainly on fireroads or just for cruising. It will make 3rd-4th gears much more useful through the woods and during special tests and 2nd will be good for tighter much more technical going. Weight feeling is completely different to my 300 2018. It is much lighter during action, although the 300 is light to throw around. It is almost like the 125 that I tried few days before I tried the 200. There is no comparison really to the bigger bikes. Do not go by the small differences on paper      

I am very interested to try the 14T CS now.  Rode my 19 TX300 back to back with my 200RR yesterday.  Very easy to notice the differences in weight feel, power character, and tight woods agility.  I think as noted by Leon_gasgas the 14T will make 3rd/4th gears more useful in the woods - give the 200 a little more urgency when rolling on the throttle.  Looking forward to some fun 200/300 comparisons as soon as the weather breaks here in Ohio

IMG_7494.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mxengineer4 said:

I am very interested to try the 14T CS now.  Rode my 19 TX300 back to back with my 200RR yesterday.  Very easy to notice the differences in weight feel, power character, and tight woods agility.  I think as noted by Leon_gasgas the 14T will make 3rd/4th gears more useful in the woods - give the 200 a little more urgency when rolling on the throttle.  Looking forward to some fun 200/300 comparisons as soon as the weather breaks here in Ohio

IMG_7494.jpg

good lookin TX. I checked the float level on the 200 yesterday and it looked to be in spec. Still pulled 26 miles till reserve. Didnt you say thats in line with what yours is doing?

Edited by Wilderness

15 minutes ago, Wilderness said:

good lookin TX. I checked the float level on the 200 yesterday and it looked to be in spec. Still pulled 26 miles till reserve. Didnt you say thats in line with what yours is doing?

Good to hear the float level was in spec.  With my mix of some street riding to the trails and easy trail riding I got 31 miles and still had gas for at least another 8~10 more miles.  However usage now is easy trail riding - too frozen and slippery to really push hard.  I am not seeing excessive fuel usage nor noticing any fuel out the over flow tube.  

18 minutes ago, mxengineer4 said:

IMG_7494.jpg

I got a chance to briefly ride a 200rr yesterday on slick frozen ground here in NJ.  I have to say I was impressed!  It lugged down low very nicely.  Compared to my TX300 with RK Tek head there was no comparison in the torque dept.  However 200 had stock gearing and I think for our goat trails a 13 or 14 CS sprocket would make this bike a real weapon!  It's very small feeling in comparison to the TX and felt extremely nimble....very flickable!  I could see why you say smiles for miles!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WoodsRacerDotCom said:

I got a chance to briefly ride a 200rr yesterday on slick frozen ground here in NJ.  I have to say I was impressed!  It lugged down low very nicely.  Compared to my TX300 with RK Tek head there was no comparison in the torque dept.  However 200 had stock gearing and I think for our goat trails a 13 or 14 CS sprocket would make this bike a real weapon!  It's very small feeling in comparison to the TX and felt extremely nimble....very flickable!  I could see why you say smiles for miles!

I felt the same.  The new KTM/Husky 300's are very powerful yet smooth. I put a Keihin 38mm carburetor on my TX300 and the engine runs cleaner and stronger everywhere. Compared to the Beta 200RR the TX300 has lots of torque so instant response to throttle inputs, especially at low rpm's. The TX300 takes more throttle control in the frozen slippery conditions to maintain traction. The Beta 200RR feels noticeably smaller - mostly up front. Easier to thread the 200RR between trees in the tight stuff. The TX300 is agile yet the 200RR feels noticeably lighter in motion. Easy to be lazy on the TX300 while the Beta 200RR takes more effort to keep the engine in the sweet spot. TX300 is a very capable do it all machine. The Beta 200RR is a flickable bike that has a surprisingly strong engine for a small bore. I think the 200RR with a 14T CS might be even more impressive.  Both are great bikes. Nice to have choices!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Do they have the same low in the rear feel ? 

17 hours ago, shrubitup said:

One option: 2018+ KTM TPI header to silencer coupler. Super long and secured by tight metal bands. It's about $12.

Linky?

20 minutes ago, GP said:

Do they have the same low in the rear feel ? 

I didn't notice anything in that regard, but I was never unhappy with the stance of my 300rr either.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WoodsRacerDotCom said:

I didn't notice anything in that regard, but I was never unhappy with the stance of my 300rr either.  

Yeah, if you race it or ride where you have the opportunity or need to stick the front end in real dirt to turn its immediately noticeable the front is too light.  Everything studded with rocks and tight not so much a concern.  Shock still works better though.  Ride mine this year you will see.  Right after the clean up day last June I hit the sweet spot in the valving and left it.

Hoping 200 for next year, by that time more armor and stuff will be out, and I can build a set of forks for it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GP said:

Yeah, if you race it or ride where you have the opportunity or need to stick the front end in real dirt to turn its immediately noticeable the front is too light.  Everything studded with rocks and tight not so much a concern.  Shock still works better though.  Ride mine this year you will see.  Right after the clean up day last June I hit the sweet spot in the valving and left it.

Hoping 200 for next year, by that time more armor and stuff will be out, and I can build a set of forks for it. 

I think it's a home run for you.  You know what to do with the forks and shock for your liking already.  Your KYB"s should slide right in.  He already bad the bullet proof rad guards on and what looked to be an EE skid plate.

3 hours ago, Wilderness said:

I would still lower the float level a smidgen, mine looked to be in spec on my 300 but after I lowered the float my mileage increased by quite a bit. Also with lowering I have never experienced fuel starvation, of course there is also the overflow loop mod you can do.

23 minutes ago, WoodsRacerDotCom said:

I think it's a home run for you.  You know what to do with the forks and shock for your liking already.  Your KYB"s should slide right in.  He already bad the bullet proof rad guards on and what looked to be an EE skid plate.

I would want a Force or a Ptech combo.  Mine is hammered to shit and and stating to crack but the frame is sound and pipe good.  Other stuff should be the same I would think.  I know it would be good, I like a compact bike and a more balanced free reving motor.  Not a lugger.  Loved the old KTM200 motor, even with the 39mm carb I could climb anything I had too.

If I could buy a chassis without suspension for a few K less I'd do it. 

Just now, GP said:

I would want a Force or a Ptech combo.  Mine is hammered to shit and and stating to crack but the frame is sound and pipe good.  Other stuff should be the same I would think.  I know it would be good, I like a compact bike and a more balanced free reving motor.  Not a lugger.  Loved the old KTM200 motor, even with the 39mm carb I could climb anything I had too.

If I could buy a chassis without suspension for a few K less I'd do it. 

You could always sell the brand new OEM suspension for a decent buck to recoup your investment.

• Like 1

The rad guards and skid plate are common with the 125, so the EE rad guards and skid plate work. I have fitted both EE and Bulletproof guards on the 200s and they line right up. The spark arrestor is shared with the 250.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

'stick the front end in real dirt to turn its immediately notice ablethe front is too light. ' 

not sure if I bothered mentioning this in my earlier posts, and I'm sure not going to make my mind up/adjust stuff until I've had a chance to ride much more, and I can't compare to other beta's - but my impression has been that the rake maybe isn't steep enough for my liking, which might be what was described as "low in the rear feeling". I won't speculate further on the meaning of that.

I can see that I might be lowering the forks/adjusting the shock to get more bite on the front and quicker turn in - but like changing sprockets, that will depend on how I find it to be at speed, and whether the gearing suits what I will be riding here in MA, as opposed to CA where I was.

3 minutes ago, lost1750GTV said:

'stick the front end in real dirt to turn its immediately notice ablethe front is too light. ' 

not sure if I bothered mentioning this in my earlier posts, and I'm sure not going to make my mind up/adjust stuff until I've had a chance to ride much more, and I can't compare to other beta's - but my impression has been that the rake maybe isn't steep enough for my liking, which might be what was described as "low in the rear feeling". I won't speculate further on the meaning of that.

I can see that I might be lowering the forks/adjusting the shock to get more bite on the front and quicker turn in - but like changing sprockets, that will depend on how I find it to be at speed, and whether the gearing suits what I will be riding here in MA, as opposed to CA where I was.

Betas have always been lower in the rear with slightly unbalanced travel (15mm less) than the fork, making the front end sensitive to weight placement and it critical to run less sag than you might like.  I don't know if the 125/200 is like this, why I asked.  Doesn't matter much to me the fix is easy.

• Like 1