Pay It Forward! Read more... ×

*Rally addicts and electronic whiz kids wanted* Wiring an ICO trip meter into a Yamaha speedo pick up

Hi All,

As the title suggests, I want to run a back up ICO trip meter (Using a GPS ICO as main) on my '07 Yamaha WR450F. Has anyone used the stock electronic speedo drive as a wheel signal instead of using the ICO supplied sensor unit?

The stock Yamaha unit is much more robust than the ICO unit and if it's a backup it really needs to work when i need it to. I could make up a connector to plug the ICO into the Yamaha speedo wiring, but no idea if the ICO is compatible with the signal from the stock pick up

Alternatively, has anyone used the stock dash board during a rally?? It looks difficult to use and it would be obscured by the roadbook holder. 

Any help/tips greatly received 

Edited by Pancho_Jsy

Yamaha's pickup unit sends out multiple, volts dc, pulses per revolution. I don't know of an easy, i.e. off the shelf, fix for that.

I put a speedo drive eliminator on mine and routed the pick up along the front brake hose like most Euro bikes. If done right, it is a very robust solution.

• Helpful 1

I've never dealt with the ICO but... say the Yamaha drive outputs four pulses per rev. The tire has a circumference of say 700mm (all guess numbers, used for simple example). You'd simply divide the 700 by 4 to get 175 and enter that in the ICO as a circumference.

Another hint. When getting a circumference, have the rider on the bike and the tires filled to your normal pressure. Start with the valve stem at the lowest point. Have a helper push the bike to make as many wheel rotations as you can in your testing area. Roll the bike perfectly straight, feet on the pegs. Stop again with the valve stem at the bottom. Now measure the distance traveled, divide by the number of wheel rotations. Much more accurate than any other method. As the tire wears, if accuracy is critical, you'll need to remeasure. All tires are different.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1