Tahuya new rider\childrens area going in

I thought I would share some positive news on what's happening at Tahuya.

There is going to be a area for entry level kids and new riders. This area will be a place parents can bring new and unskilled children to ride. The area will be closed off to the trails. There will be a large flat area and a course with some small obstacles that you would encounter on the trail. People have been asking for a safe area to learn now there getting it. The area will be next to the dirt parking area on Elfendal road. It will be a couple more months before it's ready. One person as been instrumental in making this happen. Hopefully he will see this post and can fill in the information and take the credit he deserves.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I thought I would share some positive news on what's happening at Tahuya.

There is going to be a area for entry level kids and new riders. This area will be a place parents can bring new and unskilled children to ride. The area will be closed off to the trails. There will be a large flat area and a course with some small obstacles that you would encounter on the trail. People have been asking for a safe area to learn now there getting it. The area will be next to the dirt parking area on Elfendal road. It will be a couple more months before it's ready. One person as been instrumental in making this happen. Hopefully he will see this post and can fill in the information and take the credit he deserves.

This is great news. I know much of the success that the MTB community has enjoyed in expanding trail development and project funding is a direct result of showing high usage by families and children at MTB trails. Places like Duthie Hill Park that see lot's of kids are frequently showcased and used to market new projects. Developing new riders is good for the future of motorized trail use for sure.

A big cheers to the people who are making this happen.

• Like 2

Really glad to hear that it won’t be connected to other trails, meaning that others won’t be blasting through there on their bikes while others are trying to figure out how to ride. Basically, the opposite of Sandhill. 

Thanks, I think it'll be a good start at making a safe place for beginners. I'm headed up there shortly to discuss the area, a challenge there at Camp Pond will be getting to smooth dirt versus all of the rocks that grow there, but this is where they want to build the first one. I also want to put one in at Sandhill through the scotch pines north of the new trailhead.

Part of the plan for the First Year First Gear area is to keep it small and boring enough that someone with any experience riding at all won't want to go in it anyways.

I'll try to keep you all up to speed on our progress.

For a skills area, I'm going to suggest we use the pits past Spilman and just across the concrete bridge maybe to put in some obstacles, we'll see.

• Like 5

With that said, they also are putting in next to the First Year First Gear area some simple challenges for the newer riders to practice on, which will be great as long as the more advanced riders don't terrorize it and run the beginners off!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

So can we next get a designated area for quad riders in thier wife beater shirts to race back and forth?

• Like 1

Met with the DNR again today. They had a nice flat area roughed out for the simple and enclosed area to learn the basics of starting and stopping a motorcycle.

Right next to there they have an area picked out for a very simple enclosed short trail to then advance to. It will be one way with a few left and right corners and few slight up and down grades.

Then next to that they are planning and working on a little more advanced area that will have blocks to weave through, small culverts to go over and maybe a few small logs to ride over on an optional line.

They are very enthusiastic about building this, which is great!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Anything to help the cause is much welcomed. Be cool if we had an area for some intermediate enduro or even some trials stuff, but a start non the less Good on the DNR

• Like 1

Anything to help the cause is much welcomed. Be cool if we had an area for some intermediate enduro or even some trials stuff, but a start non the less Good on the DNR
We've talked before about putting in a trials type of area where the old Kammenga camp ground was, but there are some concerns about people being tempted to ride in the river then.

This is great to hear. My daughter and wife are learning to ride.  I would be glad to help any way I can. 

Will

• Like 1

Finally, more trails I can ride 
Ha, I just watched your video on some of our other trails, I think you may be over qualified for this new area....
  • Like 1