jetfuel

offroad New Competition for Orange at the GNCC's

Long time Local Fast guy Fred Andrews will be Managing the new Kawasaki Offroad team out of a Big Rig this season. 

KTM and Husqvarna are the dominant players in the off-road racing game, but there was a time when brands like Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha ruled the roost through the rocks and roots. But when several Japanese brands shuttered their programs during the global recession of the late 2000s, the European marques doubled down on off-road. For 2019, Kawasaki has revived its old Team Green off-road squad, shifting the Monster Energy Babbitt's Online Kawasaki team from the now-defunct Amsoil Arenacross series into Grand National Cross Country. Fred Andrews spent nearly a decade racing GNCC for Team Green, and then ran the factory program until it closed. Now that Kawasaki is back, so is Fast Freddie, who will run the outfit along with the Babbitt's team. In this podcast, Jason Weigandt calls up Andrews for tales of building the new team, and also some old war stories from his racing days.

The Racer X Exhaust Podcast is presented by Yoshimura.

178496_img_8454.jpg?auto=format&dpr=1.25

Here is the RacerX Podcast with Fred if you want more info about it. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, R1peacock said:

Can we expect true offroad versions from Kawasaki of the KX250 and KX450 (like Yamaha’s FX and Honda RX) version bikes?  Maybe 2020......

No.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Given what is happening with the new KX in supercross, can the bike last a whole GNCC race?

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, MANIAC998 said:

Let’s hope so!! It will be quite some time though.

The only thing I have heard is the KX250 getting the estart next year. 

• Like 2

Has anyone notable raced a green bike in GNCC in the last 15 years?  I hope it works out, more factory teams the better it will be.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

The only thing I have heard is the KX250 getting the estart next year. 

And BNG's??  😉

Edited by poldies4
  • Haha 2

Haven't really followed what is going on with the Kawi team but I feel Strang, while competitive, is nearing the end of his career. Does anyone know if there are other riders for the team?

23 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

Has anyone notable raced a green bike in GNCC in the last 15 years?  I hope it works out, more factory teams the better it will be.

Paul Whibley is the last guy I can think off 2008-09? He raced every brand lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katoom64 said:

Haven't really followed what is going on with the Kawi team but I feel Strang, while competitive, is nearing the end of his career. Does anyone know if there are other riders for the team?

Jordan Ashburn is the other rider

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Jordan Ashburn is the other rider

Ah ok, I thought there was another rider on the team. Wonder if they'll be looking at bringing up a young up comer at some time?

Kawasaki dropped their offroad teams because of funds when they wanted the cash to pay RV's salary. I even started a thread about it which caused quite a frenzy up in here.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BBA said:

Kawasaki dropped their offroad teams because of funds when they wanted the cash to pay RV's salary. I even started a thread about it which caused quite a frenzy up in here.

Yes. Typical corporate bean counters. The bean counters in these big industrial corporate houses seem to want spend money on everything else though.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the first Full Gas this weekend to see how the season gets going for Josh. The word is that they have the bike pretty well dialed and confidence is high. The wildcard is that a lot more heavy hitters are coming back to run the Full Gas series this year since KTM pulled factory support from the National Enduros. Guys like Russell, Toth and Kelley are all staying more local to the area to run the sprint enduros. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StretchASU said:

Looking forward to the first Full Gas this weekend to see how the season gets going for Josh. The word is that they have the bike pretty well dialed and confidence is high. The wildcard is that a lot more heavy hitters are coming back to run the Full Gas series this year since KTM pulled factory support from the National Enduros. Guys like Russell, Toth and Kelley are all staying more local to the area to run the sprint enduros. 

You saw Bobbitt won over the weekend ? 

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/02/article/2019-sumter-national-enduro-results/

1 minute ago, jetfuel said:

Yeah and on a 300 too. Nice to see him get some redemption after a fairly lackluster '17 and '18. It does suck to not see the factory KTM/Husky riders at the National Enduros, but there are just too many National Championships to choose from out here so one is bound to get a little watered down. 

• Like 2