Looking to buy first dirt bike ever

Hey guys, I just join this site, and have a lot to read and learn from all of you. I have been looking at purchasing my first dirt bike for a few months now. Thing is I am older and not the young athletic body I used to have, and a lot more accident prone probably given my age.

I am 41, make a good living so money isn’t a problem. I have always been into ATVs but never motorcycles until recently I can’t stop looking into getting one. A street and a dirt bike or two.

After researching I am really wanting a Yamaha YZ250FX but the 2019 model is not updated like the YZ250F, which means it more than likely will be next year. I am not wanting to wait that long, so wanted some options if a 2019 YZ250F would be a good start. I would ride mainly trails though, would love to take to a park for jumps some later on but for the majority it would be just play riding having fun. A kickstand would be best since at my camp on the river or wherever I stop a lot. Tank doesn’t have to be larger, bc wouldn’t be far from refueling at any given time.

I am 5’9” and weigh 200.

I’ve read and seen videos a 450 would be too much starting out, or I would get the YZ450FX.

Appreciate advice as I go along.

Thank you

• Like 1

My advice is to get a dirt bike that is mild, easy to reach the ground with your feet, and more suited to a beginner like yourself, and that's not a YZ-anything.

Sure, you will read and hear all day long about the YZ250FX being a great bike with excellent power characteristics, etc., etc., but, that's coming from riders with years under their belts (they already know how to ride).

I recommend a Yamaha TTR230 or CRF230F.

After you learn how to ride a dirt bike, then move to a more performance machine.

Also, a serious consideration everyone should make is:

Will noise be a concern where you ride?

The YZ250FX muffler ain't exactly very quiet.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

Hey guys, I just join this site, and have a lot to read and learn from all of you. I have been looking at purchasing my first dirt bike for a few months now. Thing is I am older and not the young athletic body I used to have, and a lot more accident prone probably given my age.
I am 41, make a good living so money isn’t a problem. I have always been into ATVs but never motorcycles until recently I can’t stop looking into getting one. A street and a dirt bike or two.
After researching I am really wanting a Yamaha YZ250FX but the 2019 model is not updated like the YZ250F, which means it more than likely will be next year. I am not wanting to wait that long, so wanted some options if a 2019 YZ250F would be a good start. I would ride mainly trails though, would love to take to a park for jumps some later on but for the majority it would be just play riding having fun. A kickstand would be best since at my camp on the river or wherever I stop a lot. Tank doesn’t have to be larger, bc wouldn’t be far from refueling at any given time.
I am 5’9” and weigh 200.
I’ve read and seen videos a 450 would be too much starting out, or I would get the YZ450FX.
Appreciate advice as I go along.
Thank you

If your not an experienced rider, this years model too next years will mean nothing, you will be too sore, cranky, tired to care.
As stated crf230, ttr230, drz400, wr250r ect ect
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

62 yo, 45+ years of experience here.

CRF230 with E-start and TTR230 are good recommendations.  Smaller bike is easier to control.  My daughter rode a DR200.

Read the Hurt Report, and get a year or so off-road before going to the street.  Dirt riders are under represented in street accident reports for a reason, you learn how to handle situations at speed in off-road riding.

Your ATV experience is transferable, especially on maintenance, but the balancing, leaning, and general control of a bike has nuances not found in ATVs.  I own and ride both too.  Applying rider weight to left/right foot pegs independently will make you turn.  Grip the tank with your knees for better control and balance.  Also learn what counter steer is.  Above 12 mph, counter steer is how you can quickly make a bike turn.  Front and rear braking differential can help you turn, as well and front brake and application of the throttle at the same time.  Standing moves your center of gravity down lower, and make the bike more stable.  While sitting on the seat raises your center of gravity.  You want to stand when going up or down steep hills.... and you want to keep your wheels rolling, not skidding, when going down steep hills.  Spend time setting up your bar angle, control levers, shifter, and rear brake to heights that are comfortable and usable.

Example of what you are talking of doing.... one of my son's friends bought a KDX200 1 1/2 years ago.  He learned on that, traded for a YZ450F, then got a YZ250.  His learning curve was steep, had never owned a bike, and he fell a lot during the learning process.  He's riding competitions now successfully after learning with us.  He's a quick study, mechanically inclined, and physically fit.... not mention he's already broken his hand riding.  So be aware, there are some dangers when engaging in this sport.  I've had several broken bones and hospital stays myself.  But to me the benefit outweighs the risks, even at my stage of the game.  When it's no longer fun, I'll quit.

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 4

The thing to understand is that dirt bikes are very focussed now.  MX or motocross bikes are very different from trail or enduro bikes.  An MX bike will be awful on the trails and enduro bikes aren't very good on an MX track.

The YZ250F is an MX bike ..... not good for trail riding.

I'd suggest a WR250F, which is a milder, dual-sport or enduro bike but the guys suggesting the 230's are not at all wrong.  The 230 is a great bike to learn on.

The only thing a 450 will do is send you to hospital with a serious injury.  

• Like 5

1. 41 isn’t old. I’m older than you and while I’m not ready for high school football maybe, I stay in good shape and do all the sports I still care to do. So, whatever bike you get, being fit, strong and flexible is always in fashion.

2. Do not delay buying a bike to wait for a new model the next year. You cannot rely on any manufacturer changing anything (just look at all the 2019 and 2020 YZ250X threads). But mainly you lost a year of riding while waiting. Pick the best bike for you you can get your hands on now.

3. Heed the advice about MX vs trail bikes. You don’t want to get one type for use in the other type unless you’re ready for a lot of modifications (basically turning the bike you bought into the one you should have bought).

4. If you’re squeamish about getting a bike you might outgrow, just buy a used one. You say you have enough income, so buy new and sell it in a year and write off the deprecation to money well spent learning and having fun.

5. Sticks and stones may break your bones but automobiles will kill you.

Good luck!

• Like 7

I'm 36yo with 26 of those years spent riding. My current bike is a 14' yz250f and it's honestly not a beginners bike. I'm not saying you couldn't handle the power or make it work, but the characteristics of the bike is not going to cater to your riding style.

You are going to struggle with clutch management.

The yz250f does not lug well, majority of hp/torque is made in higher rpm's 8k+

Engine braking is not forgiving and can feel "jerky" especially in lower gears where you will be spending most of your time. 

If you whisky throttle you are likely going to hurt yourself, its not a kids bike, its a 40+hp mx bike.

Taller seat height can alter how you stand over your bike, you want to be confident with both feet planted square. Shorter mx racers use blocks to stand on to start because it gives more control than hobbling on one foot or tiptoes thus get a bike you can stand comfortably over and maintain control when taking off.

Edited by UG_ALLSTAR
  • Like 2

I started on a TW200 10 years ago at the age of 47. Glad I did because my mistakes, and there were plenty, did not end in catastrophe. I worked up to high performance machines.

Since you have $$ I strongly suggest you work your way up in similar fashion or else that nice living you make will vanish.

There are good suggestions on this thread. Follow them.

5 hours ago, XRalways said:

Go buy a used bike. Learn. And see if you like it. Buy something a bit smaller and underpowered. You will have more fun. Guaranteed.

There is A LOT to be said for this.  Don't spend a ton on a sport you aren't sure you will like or gel with.  Enduro riding is a tough sport that requires a lot of effort.  It can be exhausting and scary as hell at times.  

As a newbie you do not need a brand new bike w latest tech.  

• Like 1

Working on bikes is part therapy, part fun for me.  I've bought a lot of project bikes and built them back.  My 05 WR250F I got for a few hundred, same for an 03 WR project.  Just got a 98 KTM 250EXC like my old KTM 300EXC.  My  03 YZ250F I spent a bunch on trying to make it softer, didn't work.  Gatorfan actually mentioned one thats a great first bike, the TW200 (I had one a few years ago).  Lots of traction, starts easy, light weight and low to the ground.  And the suspension will actually let you go offroad some, though don't run an endure on it.  One of the guys here uses one to ride on the SEER, SETRA, and other events and takes picture to cover the event.  He goes everywhere with it, even Barber's and runs the flea market on it.

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

These guys have made great recommendations.   Like posted above, I would not buy a YZ anything until you get some experience, or a WR yet either.  Again, like posted above, for your size  a 230 yamaha or honda with air cooling (instead of radiators) is a great choice because it will be lighter weight and usually has a lower seat height.  They will still have enough power to help you learn.  Get a friend to spend some time with you, or find someone who can help you learn the basics.  And, if you get a bike, be SURE to get a decent pair of dirt bike boots, helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a chest protector.  You will fall -  and should plan on it.  Having some protective gear on helps a lot,  trust us.

• Like 1

......And, if you get a bike, be SURE to get a decent pair of dirt bike boots, helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a chest protector.  You will fall -  and should plan on it.  Having some protective gear on helps a lot,  trust us.

^^^^^^^ YES^^^^^^^

I have Gaerne’s SG-12 boots ..... saved my ankles countless times.  Gloves, goggles, knee guards, elbow pads.  Fox Air Frame is a good chest protector, but you can ride without one, did for years.  With all that, be sure to buy the best helmet you can afford.  Nothing is worth a concussion.  Bell helmet is a good brand.  Be sure to go to a reputable shop and have them test fit you.  Expect to pay $250 ea at least for helmet and another $250 for boots if you buy new, or you're not buying enough protection.  Used boots and other gear are OK, but never a used helmet!

• Like 1

As others have said, since $ is not a big issue, go with the Yamaha TT-R230.  One year ago I bought my teen son (15 yr old at the time) and myself (53, 6'1", 230 lbs) each one (both new bikes); we had never rode dirt bikes before that.  We did outgrow them; now we have WR250F's.  Learning on the 230 was a good decision.  I am about to sell the 2nd 230 (2017 model) as soon as I clean it up some.

• Like 1

Everyone thank you very much for taking the time replying.
Sincerely appreciate all of the advice.
I’m going to decide between the TT-R230 and Honda’s new CRF250F that just came out, that is fuel injected.
I have looked for awhile and there just isn’t any dirt bikes for sale in my area very often, especially those type trial bikes. Even checking eBay you hardly ever see any TT’s for sale.
I’ll start off on one of these, then upgrade to a YZ250FX if I am still into this hobby like someone mentions above. Anyway, appreciate all of your help.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...