Searching for 50, need some advice!

12 minutes ago, timbanditos said:

None, he was not moving on the price. It started first kick so I felt fine with it, I can replace/rebuild any issues.

The market is thin enough, and there has been such little change in them, that nobody with a brain will budge on price if they have been reasonably maintained at all.  Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

• Like 1

Got the bike home next to mine, looks awesome! Added a few pics. Think I need to rebuild the carb, investigate the clutch, replace chain and sprockets, new grips. Plastics are stock and may be fine for now. Forks are a little rough, but fine for the kids. Oil change and fresh air filter obviously needed. Someinor surface rust on the frame, not sure how much I want to strip and try to paint that.....20190209_163747.jpeg20190209_163830.jpeg20190209_163903.jpeg20190209_163927.jpeg20190209_163843.jpeg20190209_163941.jpeg

Agree, except today it was a lot harder to start and keep running, I think the pilot just needs cleaned. The previous owner stored it inside and may have warmed it up well before I got there. It has great compression and starts well, but does shortly after and the carb has oil residue all over. I have to clean it for my OCD, but I suspect a clean pilot and possible idle adjustment and she will run perfect!

If it’s starting on the first kick I wouldn’t rebuild the carb!

27 minutes ago, timbanditos said:

Agree, except today it was a lot harder to start and keep running, I think the pilot just needs cleaned. The previous owner stored it inside and may have warmed it up well before I got there. It has great compression and starts well, but does shortly after and the carb has oil residue all over. I have to clean it for my OCD, but I suspect a clean pilot and possible idle adjustment and she will run perfect!

Sounds good, it seems that the smaller bikes don’t take much to clog the pilot.

I have some new smaller gauge wire left over from my boat, that I strip back to one strand to clean them out.

• Like 1

Had to post a couple more from each side... got the kids on it today with me for an extremely tiny loop in the garage, just had to ride it! Can anyone point me towards the replacement rubber for the kickstarted? The stock is pretty rough and I like the idea of having the rubber there for the kids. 

Resized_20190210_093205.jpeg

Resized_20190210_093135.jpeg

Edited by timbanditos

Thanks for the tip Dan627! Looks like I'm gonna need a new carb too, the float bowl has years of corrosion in it and the pilot jet broke completely off when I tried to remove it, please let me know if anyone has a specific brand carb they recommend. Saw a sunco one for $25 on Amazon but not sure if it's cheap garbage. Air filter was so dry it ripped when I opened the container, also had a little grass in there.20190210_134559.jpeg20190210_135020.jpeg20190210_141125.jpeg20190210_141120.jpeg

this looks like what I expect with every used bike I buy...

Moose or Uni on the Filter.  RMATV/Primary Drive on chain and sprockets on bang-for-buck scale.

If this were a race bike, or something more aggressive, I'd say go for keihin or OEM on the carb.  I went chinese/eBay on a PW50 for a friend, and a JR50 for myself, with no regrets.  As long as it is adjustable and takes Keihin or Mikuni jets, you'd be safe I think.

• Like 1

Looks like the guy kinda got over on you. Sorry to hear that. 

I pulled the stock filter housing off and put on a UNI pod filter. Fyi, when I tightened the clamp, it kept wanting to slip right off the carb due to super slippery brand new rubber. I used some Emory cloth and roughed up the inside of the filter inlet then wiped off with alcohol. Never had trouble after that. 

I've read where a lot of guys have used the cheap Chinese carbs from Ebay or Amazon without problem. But if you wanna stick with stock go for it. 

OEM chain was cheap at the dealer. I had to replace mine. Looks like yours threw a chain at some point and busted the case on that rear screw hole. That sucks.

Hopefully those are the only issues

• Like 1

this looks like what I expect with every used bike I buy...
Moose or Uni on the Filter.  RMATV/Primary Drive on chain and sprockets on bang-for-buck scale.
If this were a race bike, or something more aggressive, I'd say go for keihin or OEM on the carb.  I went chinese/eBay on a PW50 for a friend, and a JR50 for myself, with no regrets.  As long as it is adjustable and takes Keihin or Mikuni jets, you'd be safe I think.
I get the same sprocket and chain combos on almost every used bike I buy, good quality and great price. Ordering that set for this bike too!

5 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Looks like the guy kinda got over on you. Sorry to hear that. 

I pulled the stock filter housing off and put on a UNI pod filter. Fyi, when I tightened the clamp, it kept wanting to slip right off the carb due to super slippery brand new rubber. I used some Emory cloth and roughed up the inside of the filter inlet then wiped off with alcohol. Never had trouble after that. 

I've read where a lot of guys have used the cheap Chinese carbs from Ebay or Amazon without problem. But if you wanna stick with stock go for it. 

OEM chain was cheap at the dealer. I had to replace mine. Looks like yours threw a chain at some point and busted the case on that rear screw hole. That sucks.

Hopefully those are the only issues

I wish I lived in your market if that was a bum deal in your eyes.  With demand here, that is "fair-deal territory" upon inspection.  Anything nicer would be well over $1100.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, timbanditos said:

Looks like OEM carb is only 95 bucks, might just go that route. Can't upgrade to a bigger one as the bike is still for the kids!

I bought one of the $25 amazon carbs for my trail 90 because it was cheaper and a time savings vs rebuilding. Its at least as nice as the keihn. Between my nephew me and my father in law who was buying some $13 carbs on ebay.

We have real good luck with them. You have to watch carefully for which one you need and measure the bore and flange  There are a ton of them. On one I was sure I had the smallest one ever made, so I ordered the smallest size. Nope! It was way smaller!

I hate to replace stuff that's perfectly fixable but I have so many other projects that are more important to me time wise, that the dirt bikes are low priority. I just want be able to ride them not relish in rebuilding parts.

• Like 1

I bought one of the $25 amazon carbs for my trail 90 because it was cheaper and a time savings vs rebuilding. Its at least as nice as the keihn. Between my nephew me and my father in law who was buying some $13 carbs on ebay.

We have real good luck with them. You have to watch carefully for which one you need and measure the bore and flange  There are a ton of them. On one I was sure I had the smallest one ever made, so I ordered the smallest size. Nope! It was way smaller!

I hate to replace stuff that's perfectly fixable but I have so many other projects that are more important to me time wise, that the dirt bikes are low priority. I just want be able to ride them not relish in rebuilding parts.
Do you recall the brand by chance? I'm definitely interested in the cheaper options as that stock pilot jet sucks.