Antinoname

CRF80 Shifter Shaft Seal

08 CRF80 leaking at the shifter shaft seal.  Looks as if chain has came off and broke the case around the outside of the seal.

First pic is the 80 that’s leaking, the second pic is my 100 for a reference of what I believe it should look like.

Anyone think this thing won’t leak if I put a new seal in?

I am considering JB Welding it as it doesnt look like it will be holding any oil back directly.

Anyone got any other ideas other than replacing the case?

C15B0747-0E20-4820-8811-F4FF3D581C0B.jpeg

0C9A40E9-8B56-46C7-9B2F-2E7E98196E73.jpeg

Edited by Antinoname

Why not try JB Weld first?  It works.  Worse case scenario it still leaks and you buy a set of cases on ebay.  But, before you do anything, remove the seal and assess the damage.  The case could be cracked through the seal. 

Same problem here on xr 80. I put in a new seal and tried to rebuild the surroundings with jb weld.but it still leakes a little. Mines not quite as damaged as yours.

So I got a new seal and took it down to inspect.  Looks like the chain hit the actual seal (and tore it), and nicked the shaft.

i sanded the nick on the shaft down smooth.  The case wasn’t cracked but the should was worse than I originally thought.  Because the shoulder in gone in the 1-4 o clock position it made it hard to get the new seal in without tearing it.

Refliied the oil and parked it for about 45 minutes and it didn’t seem to leak.  Ride it quite a bit and had to wash it.  We’ll see if it fixed it. 

Based on what I saw I don’t think it would help to KB weld or quick steel it.

Edited by Antinoname