2019 Sachs poor quality already

54 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

I wonder what it takes to get back off them?

I'd be in serious trouble with the get-offs I've done lately.

I’m on them for life with cardiac stents. Others with other conditions can get off them though. Have a friend that was on thinners for  blood clots in his legs that’s just on an aspirin regimen now. That’s why it’s risky for me to ride and fall. I kind of control how I ride so I don’t fall much. .. just riding more steady and never over my head. It’s like riding sort of maybe 60 or 70%.. in my case at least? Gotta judge what’s worth possibly crashing hard and bleeding out internally. It’s like setting the govenor and Im sort of going the same speed at the beginning as the end. It’s surprising that sometimes I can win. Guys still crash or get tired or make some mistakes and I get by them sometimes later. . Sometimes I don’t win too but it’s relative right. Winning is being on the line to race and racing and not getting hurt or breaking my bike or body. Lots of riders burn out . I have too if I misjudge how much energy I have to last the length of the race. In those conditions if I’m fried physically I just slow way down or pull out. It’s better than getting hurt. I still get on the gas in certain sections riding though... but then back off.. just for fun. :ride: Im usually faster at the end of an enduro moto. I’m slow for 3/4 of the moto going at just a steady clip and save just enough for a short sprint at the end... Well that’s the plan and it’s giving me the best chance.. for my not so great fitness. With an 80’s twinshock big bore it will be interesting riding and racing and I’m wondering how fast I can sustain. :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time to resurrect this post.

After 30+ hours on the 19 cc forks I finally got around to having them serviced. When my tuner took them apart the oil was once again a very dark green black color but at least the consistency of fork oil.First change was black shake consistency. He noticed unusual wear on the bushings and is replacing them but said the anodizing still looks great and no issues there. At this point I'm going with the bike has no issues and rips. Love this damn thing. Also, while my forks are off the 19 I swapped my 16 cc forks on to the 300. I had issues with anodizing and wear on these and sent them to be tuned and anodized by Steve at After hours cycles and to be honest and no discredit to my friend/tuner but damn Steve did a great job. I might just leave the 16s on the 19.

I'm standing by my experience that although the Sachs cc forks have had their issues and QC might not be the best they still perform really damn well and as well as kyb (minus the durability). Most of my riding buddies are on KTMs and have ditched their AER and xplor forks for older OC WP forks and still have issues tuning unless they drop ridiculous money on inserts. So as much as everyone, including myself, wants to complain about the Sachs they do work.

• Like 7
  • Helpful 3

17’ OC forks sprung for my weight, and revalved / hard coated from Steve at plus one performance. They work very well in the PNW gnar (both slow and fast). Price for all of this was very good and much lower than some of the other options I see folks getting. Not to say those options aren’t great, but I believe the Sachs can be made to work very well for the average trail hack (or even racer), especially if on a budget.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this post to note my Sachs woes. Had the uppers replaced on my ‘18 RE due to poor internal coating at approximately 80 hours. Had the cartridges serviced when they put them back together and all has been good for around 30 hours so far. I need to change the fluid in them at some point so I will know how good or bad the replacement tubes are soon. 

Now onto the latest saga. Just pulled the Sachs OC forks on my ‘19 to do an oil change at 34 hours and the internal wear surface on the upper tubes is completely trashed. They are much worse than the forks on my ‘18 were with less than half the run time. Going to take them in and hope that Beta will replace them. I will have to look at having them hard coated but I am not sure if there is anyone local that does it. I had my ‘Zokes on my GasGas coated in 2013 but the job was half assed and didn’t last. 

This is disappointing to say the least. The forks on my ‘14 were clunky but never suffered these issues at all. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grimlock said:

Resurrecting this post to note my Sachs woes. Had the uppers replaced on my ‘18 RE due to poor internal coating at approximately 80 hours. Had the cartridges serviced when they put them back together and all has been good for around 30 hours so far. I need to change the fluid in them at some point so I will know how good or bad the replacement tubes are soon. 

Now onto the latest saga. Just pulled the Sachs OC forks on my ‘19 to do an oil change at 34 hours and the internal wear surface on the upper tubes is completely trashed. They are much worse than the forks on my ‘18 were with less than half the run time. Going to take them in and hope that Beta will replace them. I will have to look at having them hard coated but I am not sure if there is anyone local that does it. I had my ‘Zokes on my GasGas coated in 2013 but the job was half assed and didn’t last. 

This is disappointing to say the least. The forks on my ‘14 were clunky but never suffered these issues at all. 

after hours cycle dot com, $250, contact Steve, USA midwest - fairly close to AB.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1