jmgatx

2019 Sachs poor quality already

Triple clamp torque and technique?  Just one of the variables I'm talking about that this fork may be hyper sensitive too.  10 hrs is fast but I had Zoke uppers totally trashed in 20-30.

14 hours ago, jmgatx said:

So to those perspective new Beta buyers out there, you might want to wait and see what happens to these " new and improved" forks.

I respect all of y'alls opinions and definitely your experience, so please any insight is appreciated.

Glad I bought the '18? 😛 (Sorry!)

Did you check the alignment of the forks?

• Like 1

I talked to a couple of Sachs tuners this morning about this issue.  They see it often, and it is a problem.

I was planning on getting a Beta this week.  The cost to fix this and to correct the poor performance of the stock suspension is about $2,000 minimum.   Considering the negligible resale value of a modified suspension, I am leaning towards the Ohlins forks and shock.  It's expensive ($3,500) but I can put the stock suspension back on the bike when I sale it and keep the Ohlins for my next bike or auction them on ebay.

• Like 2

Glad I bought the '18? [emoji14] (Sorry!)

18 has the same issues. The forks just aren't anodized. 19 was supposed to fix the issue with anodizing.

8 minutes ago, jpbova said:

18 has the same issues. The forks just aren't anodized. 19 was supposed to fix the issue with anodizing.

Both the '18 and the '19 have a Type II anodize, which according to GP is typical across ALL manufacturers. Dye pigment applied post process has absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the anodize.

So, it would seem that the color change did not bring out the desired effect of a more durable fork.

One thing I do know about the '18 VS the '19 is that the '18 has a 50mm rear shock and that was a consideration for me. 👍

Edited by Beta300recat
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Glad I bought the '18? 😛 (Sorry!)

I don't know if any sachs fork is immune from this issue. And yes i bought the MP tool. Its a pretty piece of anodized steel ornament,  otherwise useless. Although the anodizing is probably better than the Sachs. 

3 minutes ago, Navaho6 said:

The cost to fix this and to correct the poor performance of the stock suspension is about $2,000 minimum

Wow! I'd make a few more calls! Not at all reasonable. 

Talk to the guys in the know who've done Sachs for many years. Les at LT Racing and Steve (motoxgiant) and they'll get you squared away correctly. 

Hopefully Steve jumps in with some advice, he's an excellent resource here and highly recommended for Sachs work for causal riding to full racing. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, firffighter said:

Talk to the guys in the know who've done Sachs for many years. Les at LT Racing and Steve (motoxgiant) and they'll get you squared away correctly. 

Hopefully Steve jumps in with some advice, he's an excellent resource here and highly recommended for Sachs work for causal riding to full racing. 

Steve anodized and revaled my 16 cc sachs for less than a grand. And he did a killer job.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, jmgatx said:

I don't know if any sachs fork is immune from this issue. And yes i bought the MP tool. Its a pretty piece of anodized steel ornament,  otherwise useless. Although the anodizing is probably better than the Sachs. 

Funny guy! 🤣

Anodizing is a process for aluminum, not steel. :prof:

• Haha 1

I talked to a couple of Sachs tuners this morning about this issue.  They see it often, and it is a problem.
I was planning on getting a Beta this week.  The cost to fix this and to correct the poor performance of the stock suspension is about $2,000 minimum.   Considering the negligible resale value of a modified suspension, I am leaning towards the Ohlins forks and shock.  It's expensive ($3,500) but I can put the stock suspension back on the bike when I sale it and keep the Ohlins for my next bike or auction them on ebay.

Somebody is blowing funny smoke rings up your arse. That’s flipping silly....
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Funny guy! 🤣

Anodizing is a process for aluminum, not steel. :prof:

Good point. Wasn't paying attention 

Edited by jmgatx

19 minutes ago, Navaho6 said:

Not even close to $2000 to fix the suspension.  Give Steve a call and he will get them fully dialed in (anodizing and revalve).  I did and my OC forks work great here in the PNW.  

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, jmgatx said:

Steve anodized and revaled my 16 cc sachs for less than a grand. And he did a killer job.

Exactly! At $2000 someone is absolutely ripping you off! 

Steve is solid and can set you up for success with either your OC or CC Sachs suspension. Unless you are a big time racer or have lots of expendable income, zero reason to go with Ohlins. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, firffighter said:

It sucks to buy something new and have problems, but let's face it; Race quality machinery wears fast and is high maintenance.

The fix for this problem costs less than a new carburetor.

Or, has often been quoted, "Less than the cost of a new set of graphics............"

22 minutes ago, Navaho6 said:

I am leaning towards the Ohlins forks and shock.  It's expensive ($3,500) but I can put the stock suspension back on the bike when I sale it and keep the Ohlins for my next bike or auction them on ebay.

I like the way you think. Don't let the forks 'color' your motorcycle choice because there is a lot more at stake with the whole package.

6 minutes ago, jmgatx said:

Good point. Wasn't paying attention 

I was thinking the same; LOTS of people get results with the fork alignment tool. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

It sucks to buy something new and have problems, but let's face it; Race quality machinery wears fast and is high maintenance.

Or, has often been quoted, "Less than the cost of a new set of graphics............"

Not under 10 hours. And if that's the case Beta should have that in its byob...

'Want quality functioning forks you won't need to send out and serviced every 10 hours? Buy kyb, another brand or overpriced ohlins'

28 minutes ago, Navaho6 said:

As an A enduro rider, the stock 18 CCs feel amazing, although under sprung for my fat ass. There's not much if anything I would change on the stock suspension.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Just now, Beta300recat said:

Exactly, and the reality is the vast majority of guys on all brands are sending their suspension off to tuners, it's part of owning a dirt bike. KTM guys are spending just as much, if not a lot more to improve the Xplor forks. 

The vast majority of Beta owners are extremely satisfied with the suspension either stock or properly tuned and aren't experiencing some vast catastrophic failure. It's just forum fodder. 

At least we have trusted experienced tuners with Sachs that won't fleece you and get you squared away at a reasonable price tag. Send them to LT or Steve and you'll be set.

BTW, after owning 2 sets of full Ohlins suspension, I'd never own another set. Very expensive to maintain and fast wearing. 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1