PNWtrailrider

2018 beta 300rr clutch squealing/burnt

Bought my 2018 back in February of last year. Put 8 hours on it at the most before noticing a significant clutch squeal and groan every time I’d fan the clutch, take off on an incline, or start off in a gear higher. I didn’t even touch the oil yet from whatever the dealer put in it. When I got home I tipped the bike on its side, pulled the clutch cover and pressure plate to find the plates burnt black. Called the dealer, it was covered under warranty with a new clutch. Got it back over a couple months later and the battery was dead so I continued to ride the spare ktm. I finally got around to getting a new battery a few weeks ago and took it out on a ride, 2nd trail in the squealing came back. Called the dealer again since the bike has 17 hours total on it and he’s going to cover it and replace the inner hub with an “upgraded” one. I’m wondering if anyone has had a problem with the new beta clutch. I have never burnt out a clutch and my buddy tortures his 16 300rr with zero issues. I posted a couple pics below of what the plates looked like after 8 hours of smooth single track riding. I’ll update it once I get it back once again.

4E27D31E-2419-44D7-BEB1-302A87CF51AB.jpeg

5665B751-3003-4C39-9ADE-4BA560E0D822.jpeg

Edited by PNWtrailrider
Added photos

40 minutes ago, PNWtrailrider said:

Bought my 2018 back in February of last year. Put 8 hours on it at the most before noticing a significant clutch squeal and groan every time I’d fan the clutch, take off on an incline, or start off in a gear higher. I didn’t even touch the oil yet from whatever the dealer put in it. When I got home I tipped the bike on its side, pulled the clutch cover and pressure plate to find the plates burnt black. Called the dealer, it was covered under warranty with a new clutch. Got it back over a couple months later and the battery was dead so I continued to ride the spare ktm. I finally got around to getting a new battery a few weeks ago and took it out on a ride, 2nd trail in the squealing came back. Called the dealer again since the bike has 17 hours total on it and he’s going to cover it and replace the inner hub with an “upgraded” one. I’m wondering if anyone has had a problem with the new beta clutch. I have never burnt out a clutch and my buddy tortures his 16 300rr with zero issues. I posted a couple pics below of what the plates looked like after 8 hours of smooth single track riding. I’ll update it once I get it back once again.

My 18 350 squealed from new I just changed the oil to a 5w/40 synthetic engine oil and its now been fine for 90 hrs.  The squeal is gone and they are not burned. I don't abuse the clutch but do use it all the time when needed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PNWtrailrider said:

5 minutes ago, HONDA_HERO said:

My 18 300rr is at the dealer after the transmission locked up at 7 hours. I hope mine doesnt take multiple months to get back like yours. 

Wait what?   I had two Betas and found that the numerous shortcomings were just my imagination per the Beta Bros. 

Don't worry someone will be along shortly to write a 5000 word essay on how all bikes do this but 

hardly ever on a Beta. Then take note as the same racer from 4 years ago will blow Beta for 5 minutes on a YouTube link.

You are never allowed to speak ill of Beta,  that is a Beta forum rule.  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

Wait what?   I had two Betas and found that the numerous shortcomings were just my imagination per the Beta Bros.

I could easily see you having clutch and tranny issues. :excuseme:

• Haha 1

4E27D31E-2419-44D7-BEB1-302A87CF51AB.jpeg.0579e081f2463f02a3b8e32c442bdd9e.jpeg
5665B751-3003-4C39-9ADE-4BA560E0D822.jpeg.b11ef350145efe71cd2335e1cb5e0d1f.jpeg

I'd ask them to put the HD clutch it also and try and get them to cover it.

I've had six 250's and on a 18' 250 now, I flog the clutch with no issues, have had six slaves fail but never basket or plates.

The 125rr, I've broken a few fibers.      

My son has a 2019 Beta 300 race edition and the clutch is burnt on it, it started making a howling sound at 8 hours, it now has 17 hours on it and is much worse. He tore it down and the plates are burnt, not as bad as yours, but burnt, and warped. Got ahold of the dealer the bike is 10 months old with 17 hours on it. We took pictures of the clutch and sent them to the dealer, who forwarded them to the Beta rep. He told the dealer to sell us the performance clutch. We asked what that will cost and they said it would be $900!!!!! We have had dozens of dirt bikes of various brands and NEVER had clutch problems! And all that $900 dollars covered was the steels the fibers and the spring sleeves! I have a 2017 Beta Race Edition with zero problems, my brother has a 2013 Beta 300 Race edition with 160 hours and zero problems. I believe Beta installed the clutch improperly at the factory. If you don’t wet the clutch plates prior to installation you’ll burn the steels just like we are experiencing. PNWtrailrider after your dealer replaced the plates, is your clutch holding up?

2 minutes ago, Andy Anderson said:

My son has a 2019 Beta 300 race edition and the clutch is burnt on it, it started making a howling sound at 8 hours, it now has 17 hours on it and is much worse. He tore it down and the plates are burnt, not as bad as yours, but burnt, and warped. Got ahold of the dealer the bike is 10 months old with 17 hours on it. We took pictures of the clutch and sent them to the dealer, who forwarded them to the Beta rep. He told the dealer to sell us the performance clutch. We asked what that will cost and they said it would be $900!!!!! We have had dozens of dirt bikes of various brands and NEVER had clutch problems! And all that $900 dollars covered was the steels the fibers and the spring sleeves! I have a 2017 Beta Race Edition with zero problems, my brother has a 2013 Beta 300 Race edition with 160 hours and zero problems. I believe Beta installed the clutch improperly at the factory. If you don’t wet the clutch plates prior to installation you’ll burn the steels just like we are experiencing. PNWtrailrider after your dealer replaced the plates, is your clutch holding up?

Is this Craig's?

I’ll update a bit: sold the bike 2 rides after the whole new “upgraded” clutch assembly was installed which was free even tho it was well passed my warranty. Bought a left over ktm xcw with a carby and swapped a keihin on it. Now close to 30 hours of gnarly Oregon single track and bike abuse I have had zero issues with it, besides plastics breaking and cosmetics. Beta is no longer an option for me due to all the other problems I’ve heard since with electrical failures. However, I did notice a huge top end power increase with the new clutch assembly installed. I want to believe the reason was the push rod that connects between the slave clutch cylinder and throw out bearing was either too long or out of spec causing the clutch to not fully engage when releasing the clutch. Perhaps causing a constant slip. Best of luck with your beta. I’d be pissed if they were charging $900. Tell them (Tim Pilg) how you feel and if they have no sympathy, then buy a full recluse manual clutch for the same price.
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I’ll update a bit: sold the bike 2 rides after the whole new “upgraded” clutch assembly was installed which was free even tho it was well passed my warranty. Bought a left over ktm xcw with a carby and swapped a keihin on it. Now close to 30 hours of gnarly Oregon single track and bike abuse I have had zero issues with it, besides plastics breaking and cosmetics. Beta is no longer an option for me due to all the other problems I’ve heard since with electrical failures. However, I did notice a huge top end power increase with the new clutch assembly installed. I want to believe the reason was the push rod that connects between the slave clutch cylinder and throw out bearing was either too long or out of spec causing the clutch to not fully engage when releasing the clutch. Perhaps causing a constant slip. Best of luck with your beta. I’d be pissed if they were charging $900. Tell them (Tim Pilg) how you feel and if they have no sympathy, then buy a full recluse manual clutch for the same price.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PNWtrailrider said:

If it's truly the 18+ clutch that is causing the issue, buy a 17- Beta clutch for less - assuming it fits. My 15 has been issue free clutch wise in 250 hours.

• Like 1

Pnktrailrider, thanks for the quick reply. It’s upsetting for sure, I’m very happy with my 2017 Beta 300 but after this it will be the last! My son got the bike because my brother and I were so satisfied with ours he figured he couldn’t go wrong. Pretty disappointing buy a new bike spend another $1000 on protection and aftermarket parts then throw another $900 into a new clutch on basically a new bike!

If it's truly the 18+ clutch that is causing the issue, buy a 17- Beta clutch for less - assuming it fits. My 15 has been issue free clutch wise in 250 hours.

They changed the clutch in 18, so the prior years wont work is what we been told. We would be game with changing to a different year clutch, If anyone would know it should be BETA, but Beta hasn’t offered any help on the situation, other than buying a $900 clutch. Anyone out there know how to get ahold of Beta directly? We’re getting no backing from the dealer.

Pnktrailrider, thanks for the quick reply. It’s upsetting for sure, I’m very happy with my 2017 Beta 300 but after this it will be the last! My son got the bike because my brother and I were so satisfied with ours he figured he couldn’t go wrong. Pretty disappointing buy a new bike spend another $1000 on protection and aftermarket parts then throw another $900 into a new clutch on basically a new bike!

I loved my beta, honestly I would still have it today if I didn’t go through two clutches on it. For the riding we do in an area a few hours from home with no service I just don’t feel like risking having my bike breaking down or running into more problems to ruin the whole trip. Good luck with your sons bike and I’d like to hear an update if you can get your issue squared away!

They changed the clutch in 18, so the prior years wont work is what we been told. We would be game with changing to a different year clutch, If anyone would know it should be BETA, but Beta hasn’t offered any help on the situation, other than buying a $900 clutch. Anyone out there know how to get ahold of Beta directly? We’re getting no backing from the dealer.

There should be an email with contact info in your manual. I emailed Tim Pilg directly the second time. My dealer wasn’t too happy about me doing that but the end result was Tim warranting it even after 6 months
  • Like 1

There should be an email with contact info in your manual. I emailed Tim Pilg directly the second time. My dealer wasn’t too happy about me doing that but the end result was Tim warranting it even after 6 months