Jump to content
Bryan Bosch

2019 KTM 690 Enduro R: More Power, More Tech & More Money

Recommended Posts

2019_690.jpg
Bold New Graphics! ;)

The 2019 KTM 690 Enduro R has an all new motor
KTM kept the SOHC design, saying that the 2019 will have even more power with less vibration (getting dual counterbalanced crankshaft).  In terms of ignition, it's a dual system with individual timing for each spark.

Electronic Nannies
Standard traction control. This is guaranteed to be controversial, with purists wanting the electronic nannies to be optional if not "learn how to ride!" The 2019 KTM 690 Enduro R now also offers Cornering ABS. KTM says it improves on-road safety, but still allows the rear ABS to be shut off for the dirt.

Improved Gearbox?
The new 6 speed transmission now has a "quickshifter" and is paired up with a hydraulic slipper clutch. Time will tell if the dirt guys like the quickshifter tech. If it's effective and gets rid of the notorious mis-shift issues when up-shifting to higher gears, is might be a good change.

Improved Suspension
2019 KTM 690 Enduro R is getting the WP Xplor that brings almost 10" of travel at both ends and has fully adjustable damping circuits. Sorry short inseam guys, this bike looks like it will still be tall.

Of course, if the bike wasn't expensive enough, its MSRP is now $11,699. In terms of weight, not sure why KTM is dancing around the issue, but they've said 322lbs. as the "approximate dry weight". C'mon KTM, with the tech on this bike, a scale weight shouldn't be a tall order!  We want ready-to-ride weight please!
 

2019 KTM 690 Enduro R Manufacturer Specs

ENGINE

  • Type: Single-cylinder
  • Displacement: 690cc
  • Bore x stroke: 105 x 80mm
  • Ignition: Keihin EMS w/ ride-by-wire and dual ignition
  • Transmission: 6-speed w/ quickshifter
  • Clutch: Hydraulically actuated slipper clutch


CHASSIS

  • Frame: Chromoly steel trellis
  • Subframe: Self-supporting polymer fuel tank
  • Handlebar: Tapered aluminum
  • Front suspension; travel: Fully adjustable WP Xplor 48mm inverted fork; 9.8 inches
  • Rear suspension; travel: Linkage-assisted fully adjustable WP Xplor shock; 9.8 inches
  • Front tire: 90/90 x 21
  • Rear tire: 140/80 x 18
  • Front brake: 300mm disc w/ Brembo caliper
  • Rear brake: 240mm disc w/ Brembo caliper
  • ABS: Standard w/ Cornering and Offroad modes


DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES

  • Wheelbase: 59 inches
  • Rake: 27.7 degrees
  • Seat height: 35.8 inches
  • Ground clearance: 10.6 inches
  • Fuel capacity: 3.6 gallons


Will you be trading in your 18 and earlier 690 or 701 for the 2019? How much overlap is their with the new 790? Like the electro-nannies or turn off?

KTM-690-Enduro-R-dual-sport-4.jpg

2019-KTM-690-ENDURO-R_1.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 100% sure, but it makes more sense to have one mill for the twins. TC.... I'm sure it works, but to me, powersliding these bikes is central to having gobs of power! Hard to ride these bikes sensibly sometimes!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you turn the standard traction control off? The way you mention it, I can't tell. I'd assume it'd be similar to how it works on the 10/11/1290s, but if so, that's still annoying. It needs to be a single-button operation at most and NOT reset every time you shut the engine off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horgh said:

Can you turn the standard traction control off? The way you mention it, I can't tell. I'd assume it'd be similar to how it works on the 10/11/1290s, but if so, that's still annoying. It needs to be a single-button operation at most and NOT reset every time you shut the engine off.

Limited info at this time. Not sure. But knowing KTM, it will turn on everytime your restart the bike, just like the ABS. If so, the aftermarket will make a dongle to address it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the wealth of info in the original post.  I had a 1st year 690, and was thinking of getting another.

 

Edited by mjg15
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mjg15 said:

Thanks for the wealth of info in the original post.  I had a 1st year 690, and was thinking of getting another.

These threads always end with the same responses:

- Those who are excited about new tech.

- Those shunning new tech.

- Those who say they don't want to spend money.

Always the same story.  Other than the first type of comment (those are are truly interested in new bikes/tech), why bother commenting when that's all you have to "add"?

You're right, I bow before what you just added to the discussion. I'm not worthy.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the transmission ratios the same as before? I’ve read you sort of have to choose short or tall gearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MikeID said:

Are the transmission ratios the same as before? I’ve read you sort of have to choose short or tall gearing.

 I'd assume it's still wide ratio. Gearing hasn't really been a huge issue on these bikes from what I've seen. My 2017 is fine for everything but crawling slow conditions that I rarely see and will still pull 80mph freeway w/o any trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks Brian the oak canyon ride is close by on my buddies property , I will be there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

thanks Brian the oak canyon ride is close by on my buddies property , I will be there

Come back and let us know how it went! Love to hear your thoughts, experiences and maybe a photo or video? Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have money down and a final OTD invoice- Hoping for delivery by 3/1 - 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Come back and let us know how it went! Love to hear your thoughts, experiences and maybe a photo or video? Enjoy!

Bryan, you need to upgrade your 690 !... and then give me a deal on your 690, now that it's outdated I can't give you that much for it but these things happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zig06 said:

Bryan, you need to upgrade your 690 !... and then give me a deal on your 690, now that it's outdated I can't give you that much for it but these things happen.

Actually, I'm selling it soon. Picked up a husky FE350S since I'm really more interested in riding single track. C'mon down to FL. 80 and gorgeous today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Actually, I'm selling it soon. Picked up a husky FE350S since I'm really more interested in riding single track. C'mon down to FL. 80 and gorgeous today!

Your killing me, last week we were in the middle of a Polar Vortex, this week we're getting hit with a couple ice storms.  My bike may not see the dirt for a month or more, "if" I'm lucky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, zig06 said:

Your killing me, last week we were in the middle of a Polar Vortex, this week we're getting hit with a couple ice storms.  My bike may not see the dirt for a month or more, "if" I'm lucky!

I'm the crack to your addiction! Fly, ride in the sunshine on your new 690 and it will tie you over until spring!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are the transmission ratios the same as before? I’ve read you sort of have to choose short or tall gearing.
I geared mine down to ride single track and it still pulls over 100mph. Its a close ratio trans but its six speed and the dual counterbalanced motor gets over 9k rpm to play in. No issue at all.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×