CRF 450 R Enduro convert w/ auto Rekluse or just buy an Enduro bike?

Hi,

I own a 2013 CRF 450R which I initially bought for motocross but have recently been doing more enduro riding. Mainly tight woods, streams, going over obstacles ie tyres, rocks, logs,etc. No road riding. I do like the bike, it has been plenty down low, is surprising light and nimble ( being a 450) and the suspension seems to cope ok. The adjustability of the air forks do help for different terrains. Down sides if that I do have to do a lot of clutch work and the bike likes to stall. No electric start, and trying to kickstart a 450 in deep mud, on a hill or in a running slippy stream is a bit of a buzz kill 😓 

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a proper enduro. The 300 2 strokes seem to be the weapon of choice for most and I like the look of the Sherco se-r. 

Basically.. is it worth the extra money? I’d be looking at spending at least another £1k for the same age enduro, and most are road legal which is a waste for me as I have no intentions of using on the road. Would I be better spending some cash on an auto Rekluse for my stall issue on the CRF instead?

Only you can answer if it's worth the extra money. Depending on which Rekluse you buy will run you $800 US plus or minus, so it might be a push. 300s are great woods bikes, there will be a learning curve coming from a 450 but if you're doing more woods/technical riding I'd suggest going for it.

• Sad 1

I used to ride a 09' yz450 in the woods and did well after installing a flywheel weight and going down a tooth on the rear sprocket.  But it got heavy in tight stuff and the extra power could be a bear the tighter the trail gets but I still liked the bike.  I've got a bum knee and kicking the 450 eventually got to me so I sold it and bought a 09' KTM 250xcw 2 stroke and I have been much happier and faster since.  The 250 has a ton a low end to bog through the nasty stuff and the e-start is worth price of admission.  A bike purposely built for the riding you do is going to be better in most cases.  I would say the only thing I miss now about the 450 is the instant power/torque at low rpms to loft the front wheel over obstacle but the 250 easily does it too but you have to use the clutch.

• Helpful 2

Shawn Mc: Explain this contraption with the tractor tires? It appears to be belt driven by the front wheel interesting to say the least! What powers it? Is it strictly a flat land 2 wheeler?

The front wheel is driven by a chain  from a Jackshaft and yes  no suspension.   it's an odd machine-I worked on one and it has a Kohler Ohv 6.5hp motor on it

20 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Real men ride Rokon. 😜

Rokon-Trail-Breaker-Left-Side.jpg?fit=88

Have always wanted to try one of those and/or see one in action..

Fill the tires with water fora little extra traction!

20 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Real men ride Rokon. 😜

Rokon-Trail-Breaker-Left-Side.jpg?fit=88

Go to youtube and search on ROKON and you will find many videos showing tractor like applications.  These will go where

no dirt bike could go and likely dragging something like a deer or a trailer or a plow but of course much slower.

I believe max speed is 14 or 15 mph with only the one gear and centrifugal clutch.   

Incidentally with the large tires, the vehicle will not sink.

It looks like it is heavy but is actually much lighter than most motorcycles.

Using a full mx bike like a crf in enduro type riding is doable. Basically I think you need to fix 2 things. Number 1 is the suspension. I would suspect your fork is probably going to be way too stiff even with the compression adjusters all the way out. Luckily you do have the air forks so you can make adjustments that way but still I would recommend a revalve for enduro type riding. The other thing is the tendency to stall and the delivery of the power. A rekluse should cure the stalling issue and take a bit of the edge off the 450 power. I bought a trailtech map switch for my 450sxf that I trail ride and it definitely makes a difference.  If you like your bike and know the history of it or have just invested some money in maintaining it, I would say keep it and put some money into it to make it more suited for the type of riding that you want to do. If you’re not attached and or maybe the bike is a little tired and needs some love I would consider selling it. 

I had a Husaberg 450 enduro and have ridden others off road.

image.png.dd846dfa48ee5f4803c2fa2e4fcd8ca5.png

The power is nice, but when the going gets tough a 30-50 lbs lighter 2 stroke is a better tool. The manual clutch is not something to be feared, but is a tool to be used to your advantage when needed. Learn to master it and you will love it. As said, more flywheel weight for your 450 is probably a better answer. If you go 2 stroke, and the going is tough, I would look more at the 200cc bikes than the 300cc.  

image.png.75108381389700a9975f2b033f394204.png