XR100 sell price

I have a 1996 XR100 that I have completely redone. I have repainted the frame and engine and have all new plastics, a handlebar cover, a headlight and lighting coil, recovered seat and a dyed RIT tank with decals. I want to list it for 1600$ but I am not expecting to get this much. Is this fair pricing? I’ll send post when I have it finished and put together. I want to get at least 1200$. Is this a fair price?

Good luck. It’s a 23 year old motorcycle. Everything you have done or gonna do in your post is lipstick on a pig. I have a 95 xr100, paid $500 for in 2005. Was in pristine condition, paint wasn’t even wore off beside the pegs. I’ve got maybe another $1000 in it since then and figure I’ll be doing good to get $500 for it if I were to sale it.

If I seen a XR that was rebuilt and painted I would never even respond to that add. I would figure the bike has been thrashed and there trying to make it look better to sell. Clean XR100's sell for $800- 1200 depending on the year.  From what you described maybe list it for $600, sorry but you asked.

• Like 1

Largely dependent on your regional supply and demand . If you confirmed the one you found actually sold then you may be close. There are several on my region with the most expensive being an 03 thas t looks new for 1400. Or as low as 600 for an older one. I recently sold a nice 04 80 for 700 others were at 1000.

I say list it. My father says if your not going to sell it you may as well not sell it for as much as you can

I would in no way pay $1600 for a '96 xr100 regardless of how nice it is. I wouldn't even pay that for a 2006 crf100.

But, you never know what someone will be willing to pay, so if you wanna try, list high and let them work you down to what you actually feel you'll take for it

Edited by Daniel627
Left stuff out

4 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

If I seen a XR that was rebuilt and painted I would never even respond to that add. I would figure the bike has been thrashed and there trying to make it look better to sell. Clean XR100's sell for $800- 1200 depending on the year.  From what you described maybe list it for $600, sorry but you asked.

Some of us actually take pride in our bikes...

Rebuilding and repainting are 2 good ways of showing that.

Just because that's what you would do when trying to sell a bike, doesn't mean everyone does that. 

I bought my '90 XR200R for $300 and now have almost $2000 into it after rebuilding the engine and rebuilding as well as upgrading the suspension and replacing various parts to get it into very nice condition. I know I'll never get anywhere near what I have into it when or if I sell, but if that time comes, I'll damn sure do what I can within reason to make sure it's in good shape for the person that buys it. If the motor explodes and I don't wanna mess with it, then someone will still get a nice bike, just with a blown motor. 

Yes, many out there will replace a couple parts and say it's tip top when it's not. Many will get away with it. But a lot of people know what they're looking at and can work those clowns down

Hope this doesn’t sound bad, but I’m hoping a beginner rider who has never had any knowledge on bike prices will buy this from me because it’s cheaper than new. I’m just tired of this bike and want it gone, but if I want to buy another one then I’ll have to try to get at least 1200$ out of it. I’m in south Texas so everything is expensive and no one want to buy it

9 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Some of us actually take pride in our bikes...

Rebuilding and repainting are 2 good ways of showing that.

Just because that's what you would do when trying to sell a bike, doesn't mean everyone does that. 

I bought my '90 XR200R for $300 and now have almost $2000 into it after rebuilding the engine and rebuilding as well as upgrading the suspension and replacing various parts to get it into very nice condition. I know I'll never get anywhere near what I have into it when or if I sell, but if that time comes, I'll damn sure do what I can within reason to make sure it's in good shape for the person that buys it. If the motor explodes and I don't wanna mess with it, then someone will still get a nice bike, just with a blown motor. 

Yes, many out there will replace a couple parts and say it's tip top when it's not. Many will get away with it. But a lot of people know what they're looking at and can work those clowns down

I never said I would repaint a bike to sell it only I've seen it done. I've restored bikes myself and have repainted both frames and motors. The problem is most people that do it to flip a bike don't take pride in there work. I have a several bikes that I'm underwater with $$$ wise. Guess what there not for sale. They never will be because of the time and money spent plus my love for the bikes. 

13 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I never said I would repaint a bike to sell it only I've seen it done. I've restored bikes myself and have repainted both frames and motors. The problem is most people that do it to flip a bike don't take pride in there work. I have a several bikes that I'm underwater with $$$ wise. Guess what there not for sale. They never will be because of the time and money spent plus my love for the bikes. 

Preach it brother! I just looked at an ‘85 XR600 the other day that supposedly had a fresh hone and rings after somebody downshifted 5th - 2nd and bumped the timing before the seller had acquired it. Once we finally got it started (on ether, no less) it belched a good deal of blue smoke before proceeding to bleed oil like a stuck pig onto the pavement. Looking at the fella’s garage he had inumerous bikes in various states of disrepair and assembly and was clearly looking to turn a quick buck. Also,my ankle still hurts from trying to kick that SOB over!

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad, but,

It honestly looks like maybe a $700 bike. Unless someone who knows absolutely nothing is willing to come off some disposable money, I don't see you getting near even $1000.

Someone is gonna see your post on Craigslist for $1200, then see a bright shiny newer 2000's CRF100 for the same price, and 9 times out of 10 they'll go for the newer bike. If you only have $330 into it, you should easily profit off of it, double your money or a bit more is still good. 

Good luck with the sale

That was my line of thinking.

In MINT, original condition, MAYBE $1000 if lucky. 

Usually if I see a bike that's been painted like that, I look at it as though i'm gonna have to spend time and money to make it look good again, and replace who knows what. Which means I wouldn't give a whole lot for it.