CRF450X Transmission

I found a street legal 2007 CRF450X on craigslist for about $2700. Everything looks fine except for third gear is missing because of a “bent shift fork” (take that with a grain of salt) and the case is cracked a little and leaks oil. I can’t find anything online about this so I’m wondering, how much would it minimally cost to get a new transmission. It’s hard to estimate without tearing it apart but what would be the worst case scenario, and what would the cost of that be/how hard to get? (Assuming I would do the work myself, so is just parts)

I would keep looking. Even if you do the work yourself I wouldn’t pay $2700 for an 07 that I needed to go into the transmission. Just my 2 cents. I am sure others will chime in for estimated costs for this type of repair.

That’s what I was thinking. I would definitely try to get it for cheaper than that or see what’s so valuable about it before I would even make an offer. I emailed him asking for extra info to find out why he thinks it’s worth $2700, but it can’t hurt to estimate some sort of bare-bones repair cost if the price drops or something reveals it’s actually worth that amount. I sort-of just want to know how much a transmission (case and all) would cost just on any 450. Google isn’t really helping me out with this one.

Keep looking as the others have said....cracked case and missing 3rd?  Not worth $2700 street legal or not.

The case half's alone are $380 new.  Bent shift fork?  Someone's been pounding on the thing.  If you assume that you'll need to replace everything, you'll be in the thousands if you buy everything new.

Of course you could always shoestring it by buying used and look for deals and take it on as a "project", but I would not pay $2,700 for it.   

Jim.

Offer him $500.

The case is cracked, there is a "bent shift fork" and an entire gear is missing out of the transmission. So what that tells me is before riding this thing in traffic and trusting it with your life you are going to have to tear the entire engine/transmission apart and replace a whole lot more (probably) than what he told you. If you don't do this yourself you can multiply cost about four times. In all honesty you should definitely keep looking, but maybe you can work out a sweet deal.

I would keep looking as suggested, Yuma Craigslist had 3 Xs for sale $2500 and under. 
Your looking at a 12 yr old bike having problems... buy one your not immediately sinking cash into!

Damn I wish I was where you are, because can’t find a single 450 under $3500 over here in southern Wisconsin. Might also be a bad time to buy but still looking.

Keep looking as the others have said....cracked case and missing 3rd?  Not worth $2700 street legal or not.
 The case half's alone are $380 new.  Bent shift fork?  Someone's been pounding on the thing.  If you assume that you'll need to replace everything, you'll be in the thousands if you buy everything new.
 Of course you could always shoestring it by buying used and look for deals and take it on as a "project", but I would not pay $2,700 for it.   
Jim.

So I emailed the guy asking him why he thinks it’s worth $2700. I’ll just copy and paste his reply: (also let me add that in Wisconsin it’s almost easier to get a custom bike built from scratch street legal than it is to get a dirt bike street legal)
“The case is not cracked. The seam seal is poor.

The way that it rattles indicates a fork. Surely something else could be wrong but an entire gearset is sub $300.

This bike is street legal and has a title and plates, something that is difficult to do. If you look at this and other dirt bikes with plates like wr, they easily go for $4000 plus in good condition. So maybe without a title it'd be worth what you see on kbb. This is because they are actually fun and have good power, unlike the drzs, even the modded ones are slow compared to this. Also supermoto rims are not cheap. Plus switches and lights were added for it. You are welcome to make an offer.”

The way that it rattles indicates a fork. Surely something else could be wrong but an entire gearset is sub $300.

Used, but certainly not new.   Look it up.  Most of the gears run $60-70 each and the shafts are about $130 or so.

they easily go for $4000 plus in good condition.

Yeah, in good condition.  A leaking case and it missing 3rd is not "good" condition.  The plate is worth something, but it sounds like you might spend a lot on it.

I'm in NY and planning to sell my '09, which has about 60 hours on it since new (I have a 250 as well and spend most of my time on that) and plan to sell for around $3K. 

Only you know your market, but from here based on what you've said it's not worth $2700.   Wheels, signals, etc are meaningless if you can't ride the thing.

Jim.