Jump to content

Headlight

Recommended Posts

I've done some digging but haven't seemed to be able to find anything concrete on the topic. I need to replace my headlight, bulb is burned and the previous owner decided to chop the top of the plastic off the housing. Anyway, I know the stators are not the greatest on these bikes, but are there any LED options out that give sufficient lighting for night riding but don't require a rewind? At least good enough light to make it home is all that I need, but actually bright enough to ride would be nice.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rider119 said:

I've done some digging but haven't seemed to be able to find anything concrete on the topic. I need to replace my headlight, bulb is burned and the previous owner decided to chop the top of the plastic off the housing. Anyway, I know the stators are not the greatest on these bikes, but are there any LED options out that give sufficient lighting for night riding but don't require a rewind? At least good enough light to make it home is all that I need, but actually bright enough to ride would be nice.

Thanks

I think that most LED lights will be brighter and draw less current than the standard halogen lamp.  I think that the lamp circuit is AC so a rectifier is required to run an after market LED lamp on the bike.  There are a few to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think that most LED lights will be brighter and draw less current than the standard halogen lamp.  I think that the lamp circuit is AC so a rectifier is required to run an after market LED lamp on the bike.  There are a few to choose from.

Thanks for the response. So the charging system on this bike uses AC for the lighting circuit but DC for everything else if I understand correctly. Would running a LED straight off my battery, albeit with a hi/lo

/off switch, work? Would the battery get a better charge since the AC circuit wouldn’t be powering anything?

 

If I got a rec for the AC circuit, I assume that just get wired in line just before the light itself?

 

Thanks for all the help!

 

Also, would running a 55/65w bulb hurt in the mean time? I know the stock unit is 35/35w

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rider119 said:

Thanks for the response. So the charging system on this bike uses AC for the lighting circuit but DC for everything else if I understand correctly. Would running a LED straight off my battery, albeit with a hi/lo

/off switch, work? Would the battery get a better charge since the AC circuit wouldn’t be powering anything?

 

If I got a rec for the AC circuit, I assume that just get wired in line just before the light itself?

 

Thanks for all the help!

 

Also, would running a 55/65w bulb hurt in the mean time? I know the stock unit is 35/35w

 

I'd think that the 55/65w light would be ok.  The AC part of the generator is separate to the part that charges the battery.  You would be best to fit a rectifier to the headlamp supply as the battery circuit charging is marginal it best. Some of the better brand of aftermarket LED lamps have rectifiers as an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many watts can i expect to get out of a rec in the headlight ac circuit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, rider119 said:

How many watts can i expect to get out of a rec in the headlight ac circuit?

Everything that I can find says about 60watts. You may want to do some research on a rewind, which, I believe can achieve about 100watts or stick to LED lamps, I'm sure you can make it bright as a bright thing with 60 watts worth of LED's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×