Carb Leaking From Overflow Hose

My 02 WR426 sat for a time and when I went to get it running again I notice it has developed a fuel leak when not running. I followed the hose and conformed it is the overflow port. Figured the needle dried out so I bought a new one, installed it, but it still leaks. I checked everything out when it was apart, including the float height, but everything looks good. 

Any other ideas? Bad float maybe (never seen one go bad in my 30+ years of wrenching but there is always a first time).   

you can check the float by holding it hot water, if you see bubbles it's leaking.

check for debris in the tank that could be flowing into the carb, my wr sat for many years and the screen on the fuel shut off valve was completely deteriorated, I think I paid about $80 for an oem valve.    

3 minutes ago, gt63 said:

you can check the float by holding it hot water, if you see bubbles it's leaking.

check for debris in the tank that could be flowing into the carb, my wr sat for many years and the screen on the fuel shut off valve was completely deteriorated, I think I paid about $80 for an oem valve.    

That's a good thought on the float check. I will also check my shop manual to see if the float weight is listed and pop it on my scale. I had the petcock apart recently and everything looks good, plus it has an inline filter between the talk and carb. 

How well did you clean the needle seat? I recommend buffing with a metal polish using a q-tip. 

edit: and/or replace it 

Edited by intimdatr

2 minutes ago, intimdatr said:

How well did you clean the needle seat? I recommend buffing with a metal polish using a q-tip. 

edit: and/or replace it 

That will be my next step if the float checks out. Never had to replace a needle seat before. How involved a job is it? 

Its can be a pain to get the old one out. I usually end up using a deck screw and and a slide hammer. They can get pretty stuck. 

5 minutes ago, intimdatr said:

Its can be a pain to get the old one out. I usually end up using a deck screw and and a slide hammer. They can get pretty stuck. 

Yikes! Hopefully and additional cleaning will do the trick and it wont come to this.  

After I cleaned my tank and carb I put things back together, cut a new fuel line from a small roll I had in the bottom of my tool box, opened the fuel valve and o moment later there was fuel running out everywhere, turns out a spider had built a nest in the line #%&@ off comes the carb. I went out and bought clear fuel line lol.

8 minutes ago, gt63 said:

After I cleaned my tank and carb I put things back together, cut a new fuel line from a small roll I had in the bottom of my tool box, opened the fuel valve and o moment later there was fuel running out everywhere, turns out a spider had built a nest in the line #%&@ off comes the carb. I went out and bought clear fuel line lol.

Sounds like one for the record books! LOL