I currently have a Wrangler Rubicon and the lease is up in May.  I use a small utility trailer with my Jeep but it would be nice to not have to tow (speed limit is 55).  Thinking about going to a Double Cab Tacoma with a 5' bed.  I ride a ton and I usually have one person with me.  I am also usually the driver.  Will it work, is it big enough?  I know the back seat is small but if I have two bikes in the bed, can I get two gear bags in the back seat?  Can you get two bikes and one gear bag in the bed?  Anyone with a Taco care to help me out?  Thanks!

I have the extended cab model and can fit lots of gear behind the seats so the double cab will be roomier still. Don't know about the newer ones but I had to add front bed tiedowns to my 2011 model.

Edited by willie

Removing rear seats (Double Cab Tacoma), if you dont use them, almost doubles rear seat area "volume."   Takes about 20 min to bolt them back in.   I just leave them out for extended periods.    Rain cant get on gear bags when in back seat area.

Small trailer like this  for $599 will haul 2+ bikes easy.  Weighs 350 pounds.   Flip the axle if you want another 5 inches of trailer ground clearance.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-4-ft-x-7-ft-open-mesh-floor-utility-trailer

Edited by BlackBuzzard

1 hour ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Removing rear seats (Double Cab Tacoma), if you dont use them, almost doubles rear seat area "volume."   Takes about 20 min to bolt them back in.   I just leave them out for extended periods.    Rain cant get on gear bags when in back seat area.

Small trailer like this  for $599 will haul 2+ bikes easy.  Weighs 350 pounds.   Flip the axle if you want another 5 inches of trailer ground clearance.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-4-ft-x-7-ft-open-mesh-floor-utility-trailer

Rain/get wet??? From the third brake light?

1 hour ago, BigBelly said:

Rain/get wet??? From the third brake light?

No.....as in it would get wet if left in open truck bed, or stolen by dirtbags.

I drove a Frontier with the 5ft bed for 11 years which is the same size as a Tacoma, it'll fit 2 bikes in the bed and gear for 2 in the back seat with room to spare.  I drove 1000 miles to Florida and back with an XR250, a DRZ400, and a mountain bike in the bed.

I do remember the 2nd gen Tacoma had issues with tie downs pulling out of it's composite bed when some folks strapped down bikes.  The 3rd gen has a composite bed as well, but I don't know if Toyota beefed things up.

I have an '18 TRD double cab short bed.  Two bikes and just big gear bags should be tight but fine, see that all the time at races.  I do one bike and all my gear(in a plastic box), tools, gas, stand, EZ up, cooler in the bed.  Can't be as sloppy packing as with my Tundra Crewmax but it works.  The bike will sit with the rear wheel wheel well back on the gate.  The factory bed extender, the way its bent will not work with bikes.  I just toss a clean clothes bag in the back seat for after the race.  Yeah if you pull the seats it will be like a small SUV back there.  I may do that for an extended road trip. There has to be a million Tacos running around CA with bikes, there everywhere.  

3 minutes ago, bassjam said:

I drove a Frontier with the 5ft bed for 11 years which is the same size as a Tacoma, it'll fit 2 bikes in the bed and gear for 2 in the back seat with room to spare.  I drove 1000 miles to Florida and back with an XR250, a DRZ400, and a mountain bike in the bed.

I do remember the 2nd gen Tacoma had issues with tie downs pulling out of it's composite bed when some folks strapped down bikes.  The 3rd gen has a composite bed as well, but I don't know if Toyota beefed things up.

There are heavy duty tie down points in all four corners now, no problems.  What guys used to do (and still can) was use the movable cleats in the tracks, which are not intended for so much force.

On my last trip to CO a a father/son combo took THREE full size KTMs and a good supply of gear in their Tacoma dbl cab. Middle bikes front wheel was facing to the rear resting on the tailgate.

The double cab back seats are big man, the short bed requires a bed extender but that’s it. I have a first gen Tacoma with the  extended cab and 6ft bed and I’ve taken 3 bikes and 3 guys without even needing a bed extender, just a ratchet strap to hold the tailgate 80% of the way up.

I don't even bother with a bed extender with the bike.  Tie downs across the back of the bed from each side of the wheel to the tailgate latch loops keep everything in fine.  Cooler and gear box block everything else.  I'd use it if it was big enough but its not.  I do use it for other general stuff.  The rubber bed mat is good too, nothing slides around.   With the short bed the rear wheel is so far back trying to pull the gate up with a strap is not going to work well.

1 hour ago, GP said:

I don't even bother with a bed extender with the bike.  Tie downs across the back of the bed from each side of the wheel to the tailgate latch loops keep everything in fine.  Cooler and gear box block everything else.  I'd use it if it was big enough but its not.  I do use it for other general stuff.  The rubber bed mat is good too, nothing slides around.   With the short bed the rear wheel is so far back trying to pull the gate up with a strap is not going to work well.

Yeah, there's no need to use the bed extender with the bike.  I only did a few times, and that was when I had a few buddies riding with me to hare scrambles.  Two bikes in the bed, our gear in the bed, but my back seats were taken up by guys just going to watch the race.

Only had mine since Sept so no longer multi bike trips, but even with my Tundras I would tow one of two trailers(open and enclosed) with most stuff in there and mine in the bed.   Usually have four riders.

Regarding gear bags, over the years I have found that on day trips I really don't need to carry ALL my gear. Watching a buddy do it for a few rides I have gone to a large trash bag our city gives us. Holds everything needed and will "mold" itself to fit the space available. Works well if things are wet on the way home also.

Only thing I’d add- I regularly put 2 bikes in the bed of my 2015 double cab short bed Tacoma, no bed extender needed- BUT... my tailgate has sagged (I’m told it actually bends, but I can’t see it and it closes fine) but it’s gotten to the point where my tailgate contacts the top of my bumper (aftermarket bumper but still, never used to touch) I know there are tailgate stiffener plates out there, but I just use a ratchet strap to slightly suspend mine and it’s fine. Truck is awesome, got it new in 15’ and it’s got 140k on it. Spent its whole life lifted with 32” tires and all it’s needed up to this point is oil changes, air filters, front brakes and one tie rod end. Highly recommend.

19 hours ago, shrubitup said:

It will work. Bigger models are way more comfortable and barely take any more fuel.

Yep and in some cases get better mileage with better towing. But they are huge and tall these days, I don't like either. Many folks can't even put them in their standard garages. No way I will leave my vehicles outside.