Only thing I’d add- I regularly put 2 bikes in the bed of my 2015 double cab short bed Tacoma, no bed extender needed- BUT... my tailgate has sagged (I’m told it actually bends, but I can’t see it and it closes fine) but it’s gotten to the point where my tailgate contacts the top of my bumper (aftermarket bumper but still, never used to touch) I know there are tailgate stiffener plates out there, but I just use a ratchet strap to slightly suspend mine and it’s fine. Truck is awesome, got it new in 15’ and it’s got 140k on it. Spent its whole life lifted with 32” tires and all it’s needed up to this point is oil changes, air filters, front brakes and one tie rod end. Highly recommend.

The new ones have a different profile gate, not sure if that matters. Also a steel member across the underside rear of the bed that the tie points mount too. If I did that regularly with any truck, I'd put the loading ramp under the wheels to take the load off the gate. All these new trucks you have to watch in one way or another, the Ford beds bend easy in the front, the composite is better like that. A big part of the decent mileage is light weight and thin parts.

Yeah that's the reason these sell. Sure full size is better for hauling anything but as a DD it's more of a PIA. After my Ford and Chevy experiences no way in hell would I buy a twin turbo Ecoboost to chase mileage. A Tundra is a 250K + truck that stays out of the shop, if you need big. Reliability is everything to me, no time for bullshit.

33 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Yep and in some cases get better mileage with better towing. But they are huge and tall these days, I don't like either. Many folks can't even put them in their standard garages. No way I will leave my vehicles outside.

I buy 2WD crew short bed so it’ll fit a standard garage. Tailgate is lower than a Toyota pre runner easily. Had 12 years now, never got stuck or slipped off the road due to snow. 

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

I buy 2WD crew short bed so it’ll fit a standard garage. Tailgate is lower than a Toyota pre runner easily. Had 12 years now, never got stuck or slipped off the road due to snow. 

What brand? What is snow?

2WD pickup here is useless in winter. You don't see many. If you drive less and live outside the snow/salt belt you can keep a truck a long time. I'll put close to 30K a year on a truck. Never had corrosion issues as I clean the undercarriage often and with this one did everything with Fluid Film when it was new last fall. If you ignore it things get ugly under there fast with all the salt.

I used to carry 2 big bikes in my double cab Tacoma. I bought an ultimate mx hauler last year and and added a tonneau cover for all my gear and can be locked, but only haul one bike at a time, got tired of keeping up with 2 bikes.

canvas11.png

canvas112.png

Looking at the double cab frontier pro 4x 2014 or newer.  Any feedback on them?   Doesn’t sound like there’s a problem hauling two full sized bikes.      Sorry for somewhat hacking the Tacoma thread.   

15 hours ago, WR CT said:

Looking at the double cab frontier pro 4x 2014 or newer.  Any feedback on them?   Doesn’t sound like there’s a problem hauling two full sized bikes.      Sorry for somewhat hacking the Tacoma thread.   

I drove an 05 crew cab NISMO for 11 years.  It's pretty much the exact same thing as the new Pro 4x as Nissan hasn't changed much except maybe the radio.  Great truck and will haul 2 full sized bikes and works especially well with the utilitrac system.  You won't have issues with bent tailgates or tie downs pulling out of the bed like with the Taco.

I like to say the Frontier is a work truck with the soul of a 350z, and the Tacoma is a commuter truck with the soul of a Corolla.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a ‘15 Titan Pro4 now, had a frontier few years ago. The frontier is a badass little truck. It handled my 18’ bass boat just fine with no trailer brakes. Worst thing about the Nissan trucks is lack of gears for sustained 70+ mph running, does fine but wastes a lot of fuel. If I were ever to get another small truck it would 100% be frontier, if they added mpfi and a 6 or 7 speed it would be awesome.

A friend had a ‘80s Mazda 2 wheel drive he hauled bikes on. I always wondered why he didn’t buy a “better” truck to haul his bike on. He kept it until about ‘04. He kept it because it was all he needed, was low to the ground and SO easy to load up. Took me a while to figure out that he knew what he was doing. Lot of money saved on the hauler that could go into the haulee

• Like 1

We had an '06 Pathfinder (same drive train).  Major issues with trans cooler corroding internally and flooding transmission with coolant at 80K.  Pretty common, Nissan would not help and did not change design until losing class action lawsuit.  I eventually got $$ back for a trans rebuild I had to pay for.   Motor was strong but lots of other issues.  Milage not good either but to be expected.  Nissan customer service absolutely sucks.  I had a fan clutch fail two weeks out of warranty and they wouldn't even consider a good will fix.   It was junk at 186K.  I used to like Nissans, bought this over the 4Runner for its price, third row seat, and good power for towing a camper occasionally.  Expected much better,  never again. 

• Like 1

I drove an 05 crew cab NISMO for 11 years.  It's pretty much the exact same thing as the new Pro 4x as Nissan hasn't changed much except maybe the radio.  Great truck and will haul 2 full sized bikes and works especially well with the utilitrac system.  You won't have issues with bent tailgates or tie downs pulling out of the bed like with the Taco.
I like to say the Frontier is a work truck with the soul of a 350z, and the Tacoma is a commuter truck with the soul of a Corolla.

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. Year? Maybe. Hahahaha...
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bassjam said:

I guess I will have to keep an eye on my Girley Tacoma tailgate. Quite often I run my quad  up a set of ramps laid on the tailgate into the box for transport after hunting. The quad is 500+lbs with four quarters of moose meat 500+lbs and me 200+ lbs. for a total of 1200+ lbs.  No bends yet but I will be careful if I have to load anything heavier. The bed tiedowns (not the box perimeter ones) are still solid. I use them to tie down the quad and moose.

42 minutes ago, GP said:

We had an '06 Pathfinder (same drive train).  Major issues with trans cooler corroding internally and flooding transmission with coolant at 80K.  Pretty common, Nissan would not help and did not change design until losing class action lawsuit.  I eventually got $$ back for a trans rebuild I had to pay for.   Motor was strong but lots of other issues.  Milage not good either but to be expected.  Nissan customer service absolutely sucks.  I had a fan clutch fail two weeks out of warranty and they wouldn't even consider a good will fix.   It was junk at 186K.  I used to like Nissans, bought this over the 4Runner for its price, third row seat, and good power for towing a camper occasionally.  Expected much better,  never again. 

Correct. Nissan warranty service blows. Been very lucky with my 07 Nissan Titan. Only issues were squeaky leaf springs (never fixed; sort of went away), rusty rear bumper (replaced by Nissan) - that's it as far as attempts to have them help. Had corrosion on body underside (post warranty), took to auto body shop who lightly ground off with wire wheel and then coated entire underside - problem solved for $500. Rear tail pipe rusted and fell off behind muffler (post warranty) - haven't replaced nor do I plan to. Door seals started failing so I replaced them for $200 post warranty and no more leaks.

Luckily, no motor or transmission problems. 115K miles.

Edited by shrubitup

31 minutes ago, GP said:

The radiator issue was huge with the 05, 06, and some 07 Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Xterras, but Nissan fixed it in later years.  Mine started leaking coolant into the transmission fluid at 100k miles, but I was lucky I caught it in time.  I just re-routed the hoses to prevent the transmission fluid from getting into the radiator and then did several drain and refills with fresh transmission fluid.  In all it cost me about $100 in transmission fluid and a few hours of time.  I sold it when it had 187k on it, it still ran like a champ but cheap things like O2 sensors were starting to go bad.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willie said:

I guess I will have to keep an eye on my Girley Tacoma tailgate. Quite often I run my quad  up a set of ramps laid on the tailgate into the box for transport after hunting. The quad is 500+lbs with four quarters of moose meat 500+lbs and me 200+ lbs. for a total of 1200+ lbs.  No bends yet but I will be careful if I have to load anything heavier. The bed tiedowns (not the box perimeter ones) are still solid. I use them to tie down the quad and moose.

Hey I'm just going off of a previous post in this very thread on the bent tailgate.

4 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Correct. Nissan warranty service blows. Been very lucky with my 07 Nissan Titan. Only issues were squeaky leaf springs (never fixed; sort of went away), rusty rear bumper (replaced by Nissan) - that's it as far as attempts to have them help. Had corrosion on body underside (post warranty), took to auto body shop who lightly ground off with wire wheel and then coated entire underside - problem solved for $500. Rear tail pipe rusted and fell off behind muffler (post warranty) - haven't replaced nor do I plan to. Door seals started failing so I replaced them for $200 post warranty and no more leaks.

Luckily no motor or transmission problems. 115K miles.

An '07 with 115K?  Wow you don't drive.  I know you guys have far less snow and assume little or no salt there.  I drive the shit out of my vehicles so I buy for reliability first and foremost.

2 minutes ago, GP said:

An '07 with 115K?  Wow you don't drive.  I know you guys have far less snow and assume little or no salt there.  I drive the shit out of my vehicles so I buy for reliability first and foremost.

It's my RV essentially. Have two other commuter cars (Honda) for driving.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

Thanks For all the info.....didn’t mean to stir up a truck war.   Just doing some research. 

Willie...nice on the moose hunt.   Just whitetail around here. 

Thanks again to all 

Just now, shrubitup said:

It's my RV essentially. Have two commuter cars for driving.

Makes sense.  I don't have a ton of room for a fleet of cars, 2nd kid gets license and car next month.  Plus NJ insurance is about the worst in the country.  I rode a street bike to work when gas $$ was stupid.   12K in five months on my new truck already.

• Like 1