I have the comparable Frontier. 2 bikes will fit, but the rear tires will be resting on the tail gate. Not an issue for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GP said:

Makes sense.  I don't have a ton of room for a fleet of cars, 2nd kid gets license and car next month.  Plus NJ insurance is about the worst in the country.  I rode a street bike to work when gas $$ was stupid.   12K in five months on my new truck already.

The oldest Honda (civic) goes off to college kids to share later this spring. Street bike riding here is particularity bad. Most who do it regularly get hit at least annually.

26 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

The oldest Honda (civic) goes off to college kids to share later this spring. Street bike riding here is particularity bad. Most who do it regularly get hit at least annually.

Bad here too, I stay on backroads.  I've had a few on and off, when I start to feel unlucky I sell.  I rode a Ducati Hypermotard to work for a few years, made me look forward to the commute!  And you guys complain about stiff clutches on Betas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, GP said:

An '07 with 115K?  Wow you don't drive.  I know you guys have far less snow and assume little or no salt there.  I drive the shit out of my vehicles so I buy for reliability first and foremost.

That's nothing.... My 99 Savana has 94k miles. I'm the original owner. She had 1070 on her when I bought her, because Don Mackey (dealership owner) chauffeured some guy name of de Coster, and a couple dirt bikes, around S AZ before I bought her.

I would buy (or make as I did) some tailgate supports with 2 rear wheels near the rear of the gate.

It fits though. 2 bikes, ramp, bags and fuel.

I have a 6 ft bed but have a large TRD crossbed toolbox that takes up like 20"

Bad here too, I stay on backroads.  I've had a few on and off, when I start to feel unlucky I sell.  I rode a Ducati Hypermotard to work for a few years, made me look forward to the commute!  And you guys complain about stiff clutches on Betas!

ME TOO!!! This was my hyper- I had a 40 mile commute. Did a TON of work to this bike, it was one fun fun ride. Passed it on to a good buddy of mine and it continues to be a ripper!
IMG_0611.JPG
<a class=IMG_0611.JPG' alt='IMG_0611.JPG'>
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kyle01 said:

ME TOO!!! This was my hyper- I had a 40 mile commute. Did a TON of work to this bike, it was one fun fun ride. Passed it on to a good buddy of mine and it continues to be a ripper!
IMG_0611.JPG
<a class=IMG_0611.JPG' alt='IMG_0611.JPG'>

Nice!  Digging for pics of mine but no go yet. I had a red std., Race ECU, but with the underseat Leos.  Stacks and pod filters.  Race seat, and real hand guards.  70 mi a day round trip.  Damn I miss that bike.

Commuter

HMrear.JPG.af84548d6439945fe65bb19838016315.JPG
HMright.JPG.5a4b45b5eea27f4df25b2611410dfb13.JPG

Yes sir, REAL fun machine! Bought mine as a demo that the dealer had made sort of a showcase of DP racing parts- so when I got it with like 1200 miles on it- she already had the race ecu, single termi (that I cut and shortened and remounted GP style) and cams! I added stacks and pods, quick change rear sprocket, steering damper, dirtbike bars/clamps, crg levers and mirrors and nice little tucked away LED signals. Oh, and the same seat, DP “race” seat... cut all the extra body work off of mine and sprayed it Blitz Black! Such a brute of a machine. Torque for days- and the soundtrack... geez

19 minutes ago, kyle01 said:

Yes sir, REAL fun machine! Bought mine as a demo that the dealer had made sort of a showcase of DP racing parts- so when I got it with like 1200 miles on it- she already had the race ecu, single termi (that I cut and shortened and remounted GP style) and cams! I added stacks and pods, quick change rear sprocket, steering damper, dirtbike bars/clamps, crg levers and mirrors and nice little tucked away LED signals. Oh, and the same seat, DP “race” seat... cut all the extra body work off of mine and sprayed it Blitz Black! Such a brute of a machine. Torque for days- and the soundtrack... geez

Setting off car alarms was a favorite pastime!  Nothing sounds or feels like that DS1100 during a 40 to 80 MPH roll on.  The new ones are just not the same, lack the purity of the air cooled Desmo, and actually anything post 2008 had the locked down Siemans ECU with dual lambdas that was not an easy fix.   I kept mine close to stock as far as body work because I did a lot of day and weekend trips with small soft bags and a tail bag.  Gas was a PIA,  as I'm sure you know!

Oh well trashed this thread.  Maybe some taco pics to get back on track.

Edited by GP

My neighbor has an '06 Access Cab, 2.7L 4 with the 5speed.  Probably close to 200K now I think.  Bulletproof.  Twelve NJ winters behind it and its still solid with reasonable care.  He also has a Duc Monster 1100 that he takes all over the country in the back of the truck for sport rides in the mountains.  I help him load it up all the time,  in the AC six foot bed it fits diagonally easy with the gate up.   I think anyone would be fine with this configuration as far as two guys and gear goes.  Two bikes easier, plus more rough gear in the bed, and plenty of room in the cab for dry gear.   I would have considered one myself,  the six foot bed is nice for a lot of things.   I just wanted to keep the size of the truck down and the Dbl cab / six foot bed is close to what my Tundra CrewMax was in length.   Since we use trailers most of the time the short bed is fine.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:27 AM, kyle01 said:

IMG_7232.JPGIMG_4302.JPG

Aaaaaaaaaah..... back on topic!

Wow! Have never seen one of those bed covers before.  Yesterday while I was at a Beta demo there was a Tacoma with the exact same setup. Pretty neat and versatile.

15 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Wow! Have never seen one of those bed covers before.  Yesterday while I was at a Beta demo there was a Tacoma with the exact same setup. Pretty neat and versatile.

And how were the Beta bikes?

I love it- folds like a convertible top in seconds- or unsnap it, pull 2 cotter pins- and voila, it’s removed. One guy can do it easily. Of course it’s not gonna keep anything secure, but that works for me.

I just went taco shopping yesterday and found out to my chagrin that to get the manual transmission I stuck with the 5 foot bed. Good to know that bikes fit in the bed thanks to this thread!!! Can someone post a pic of bikes loaded in a 5’ bed please?

I just went taco shopping yesterday and found out to my chagrin that to get the manual transmission I stuck with the 5 foot bed. Good to know that bikes fit in the bed thanks to this thread!!! Can someone post a pic of bikes loaded in a 5’ bed please?

IMG_4257.JPGIMG_2484.JPG
  • Helpful 2

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, kyle01 said:

I love it- folds like a convertible top in seconds- or unsnap it, pull 2 cotter pins- and voila, it’s removed. One guy can do it easily. Of course it’s not gonna keep anything secure, but that works for me.

Who makes the cover?