Hatchers

2018 450f vs 2019 450f (help me decide)

- I can get the 18’ at $900 less

- I’m not sure what real world differences are between the two bikes

- I’m a slow vet rider, 6-4” 225lbs

Thx in advance

10% difference in price.  Get the 19, you will get that back when you sell it.  Plus you get the better front end!

The 19 received increased rigidity in the front axel collars, the front wheel surface area increased at the collar and axel bracket and a new shape on the rear wheel collars.  The pros have given these minor changes great reviews.  No amount of shimming is going to make an 18 handle like a 19.  Will the 18 be good enough for you?  Yes!  But for a 10% price difference i would have bought the 19.  Just answering you're original question honestly.

46 minutes ago, toten said:

Yes. They can easily be swapped.

That's good to know.  Not so sure the axel brackets (lugs) can be easily swapped.  Any insight on this?

Edited by HORSEPOWER35

2 hours ago, HORSEPOWER35 said:

That's good to know.  Not so sure the axel brackets (lugs) can be easily swapped.  Any insight on this?

they are replaceable but you cant just buy the lugs from yamaha you would have to buy the lower fork tubes. Maybe you could get them from KYB not sure.

How/why is the new front wheel spacer and axle mount better this year? Or is Yamaha just catching on to the marketing of ktm and changing wheel spacers every year and saying “it’s better now”?

13 hours ago, Hatchers said:

How/why is the new front wheel spacer and axle mount better this year? Or is Yamaha just catching on to the marketing of ktm and changing wheel spacers every year and saying “it’s better now”?

I would recommend reading the reviews.  The pros can explain it better than most of us tt ers.  Keefer inc, trans world moto, racer x, moto action, vital mx, just to name a few.

• Like 1

If you are only keeping the bike a year or two the newer bikes resale value will probably offset the additional cost of the 19. If you are going to keep it a few years the money you save on an 18 will be money earned. Five years from now in the used market the price difference on an 18 vs 19 eill be determined more by condition than year. The improvements on the 19 are marketing babble in my opinion. 1 click on the compression adjuster probably makes more difference than the changes Yamaha made.

you can't buy the lugs separate since they are "welded" to the fork tubes.  I'm sure a suspension company with an in at KYB can purchase them.

31 minutes ago, Zuminazx said:

you can't buy the lugs separate since they are "welded" to the fork tubes.  I'm sure a suspension company with an in at KYB can purchase them.

I believe they are threaded on to the bottom the older ones were i have changed them myself. Not sure how you weld aluminum to steel.

Edited by gedakbx
  • Like 1

they are threaded.  Easy, you heat them and screw them together, when they cool they're essentially welded.

• Like 1

I would recommend reading the reviews.  The pros can explain it better than most of us tt ers.  Keefer inc, trans world moto, racer x, moto action, vital mx, just to name a few.

I have, just because a testers says it’s better now does not explain “why” or “how much better”..... in addition, the valving is different, so I’ll start with that if I don’t like how the 18’ feels. I do all my own work

Wrong

If you are only keeping the bike a year or two the newer bikes resale value will probably offset the additional cost of the 19. If you are going to keep it a few years the money you save on an 18 will be money earned. Five years from now in the used market the price difference on an 18 vs 19 eill be determined more by condition than year. The improvements on the 19 are marketing babble in my opinion. 1 click on the compression adjuster probably makes more difference than the changes Yamaha made.

I plan on keeping it for a very long time, maybe 5 yrs. it’s just a bike to help be kinda race the track while I’m stuck being a moto dad, I still have the FX for off-road... this track bike is just a chance for me to scout the track in the over 40 class so I know what my kid is racing and can give advice, as opposed to the typical moto dad who just stands around yelling all day because lil Johnny’s not winning, lol.... we have fun
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hatchers said:

Wrong

I have swapped sliders/tubes due to damage or to have them TiN'd.  They can be separated but they are in fact considered to be a fused/single unit by the OEMs due to how they are assembled.  Notice the quotation marks around welded above.