Are there weight savings to be had with aftermarket mufflers? (250EXC-F)

Not really and they dont flow any better than stock, all they do is look cool and move a little power around in the band

• Like 1

correct the weight savings is minimal at best. I got a FMF Q4 Stealth same weight as stock and quieter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sixdaysoffun said:

Not really and they dont flow any better than stock, all they do is look cool and move a little power around in the band

That's not entirely correct. They do flow better, unless you uncork the stock muffler with a free-flowing end cap.

But the FMF definitely sound better. And to me that was worth the money.

1 hour ago, sorbales said:

just drilled out the plugs and pulled out the reeds. sounds great!

you install a tuner or ECU?

5 minutes ago, sorbales said:

not yet

ah...please don't ride it until you do. Maybe you already knew that, but just in case.

19 minutes ago, Hammy-56 said:

ah...please don't ride it until you do. Maybe you already knew that, but just in case.

yeah, JD tuner should be here tomorrow 

• Like 1

That's not entirely correct. They do flow better, unless you uncork the stock muffler with a free-flowing end cap.
Newer ktms mufflers flow the same as a fmf

29 minutes ago, sixdaysoffun said:
15 hours ago, Horgh said:

Newer ktms mufflers flow the same as a fmf

alittle history utilizing 2012-2016 , a decreened exc end cap, would not burn the rear turn signal, an xcw end cap(has a lightly larger hole), and will warm the bottom of a rear turn signal and discolor and damage somewhat over time.

But an FMF muffler, like a 4.1, has a hole big enough to completely burn off an oem rear turn signal.

This concludes the FMF does flow , atleast alittle more, just cause it has a bigger hole.

stock 2017 exc endcap hole is smaller than than previous, but once a large holed endcap is installed (like an fmf) size, Id say you are correct.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:26 PM, Hammy-56 said:

I did this and didnt put a tuner on. I was told as long as it doesnt pop I should be good. Am I wrong? Seems to run just fine.

1 minute ago, Vsack said:

I did this and didnt put a tuner on. I was told as long as it doesnt pop I should be good. Am I wrong? Seems to run just fine.

There is a good chance you're running very lean.

22 minutes ago, Horgh said:

There is a good chance you're running very lean.

good to know thanks. I will buy one of those jd tuners asap

7 minutes ago, Kallendbor said:

Vortex is mo’ betta

$$$$

22 minutes ago, Vsack said:

good to know thanks. I will buy one of those jd tuners asap

Is this a 2016?  stock map or altered

sounds like you May have an altered map, and if so , its going to effect how you set up the tuner, so its important to know, as well as where your tps is set.

Just now, Spud786 said:

Is this a 2016?  stock map or altered

sounds like you May have an altered map, and if so , its going to effect how you set up the tuner, so its important to know, as well as where your tps is set.

16 500 exc desmogged. Not sure what map but I just put an endcap on it and it runs just fine with it. So was wondering if I needed to add anything or just adjust tps or ..?

On the KTM, you'll lose exactly 1lb using a Ti FMF. On a Japanese 4t, easily 2-5lbs depending on the exhaust setup offered stock. 

Was this a used bike?

Im just saying what I posted, cause the stock map is lean in many places, but the euro map  not so much.  But should be getting a lot of back firing with stock map with open exhaust at a stock tps setting, However some people crank up the tps a lot with stock map, that will make the low throttle settings rich(and tone excess back firing down), but the bike still has issues in other areas with stock map(but many gear the bike way down and don't notice. The tuner is better than a stock map with way out of spec tps.

But if you have the euro map, the presets of the tuner, will be over rich, and you'd need to adjust for that difference.

So ensuring you know what map you have (dealer charges about $30 to find out), and where your tps is set at. Are two very important points to know

also get the full number and letters of the map, cause the dealer may not know what they are looking at

Edited by Spud786