I currently have a pair of axo (odd brand, had never heard of them until I got these pants) motocross pants that I’ve been riding on for about 2-3 months. In those few months, They have torn about 5 times and have burned 3 times. And since they’re Nylon they take a long time to cool down. So when the pants burn, so does my leg. So far these pants have sucked and they really make me want to go back to riding in denim jeans. I only ride woods trails and backroads. What do you guys recommend, and do my pants just suck or do other brands perform like this as well? P.S, the burns are from my exhaust, and the tears usually occur from getting caught on trees/bushes and when I crash. 

E54CD453-92A5-4A92-9A2B-54966EF60844.jpeg

F4756081-CE19-4A7F-ABD7-1EB8244C0E36.jpeg

Get a 2 stroke for woods. So much more fun. Much cooler pipe. Wear any nylons. Triple win.

• Like 5

I haven't heard anything from AXO in years, good stuff really.  With that said, if you spend a few more bucks and get pants with a leather inner knee they won't burn.  Also a heat shield/heat tape on the pipe, if you're getting burned that much it would be a good investment.

Woods riding can tear stuff up, one pair of nylon pants just won't last that long.  Almost every manufacturer has a high and low end pant, and those will last a lot longer.  About every year or two I have to throw some away and replace.  I have 4 or 5 pairs that I wear depending on conditions and temps.

• Like 1

Early last season I bought a pair of Klim Dakar pants and rode with them the rest of the year. Most of the stretch went out of the stretch panels by the second wash, but apart from that they look almost new after a season of riding. My Klim Jersey has also survived encounters with thorn bushes that have shredded my fox jerseys. The downside is they're a bit heaver than regular mx pants, and therefor hotter and a little less comfortable. 

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 2

It's the pipe, not the pants. No pants out there will keep an uncovered hot 4t exhaust from burning them. Pants with sewn-in leather padding at the high heat areas might help for a while. For tear resistance, look for the highest denier rating. Many are 600 denier vs 900.

• Like 1

AXO and Sinsalo where the best. Took 20 years off of the sport and now that Im back, they are no where to be found. and all these damn 4t's!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AxlBundy said:

AXO and Sinsalo where the best. Took 20 years off of the sport and now that Im back, they are no where to be found. and all these damn 4t's!

My pants are AXO and they only costed me 30 bucks from a shady ebay seller.

1 hour ago, 76xtdrvr said:

It's the pipe, not the pants. No pants out there will keep an uncovered hot 4t exhaust from burning them. Pants with sewn-in leather padding at the high heat areas might help for a while. For tear resistance, look for the highest denier rating. Many are 600 denier vs 900.

Yeah my 250 gets really hot, especially with the new powerbomb I put on it. Back with the stock pipe I didn’t have as many burning issues.

1 hour ago, TheLastByte said:

Early last season I bought a pair of Klim Dakar pants and rode with them the rest of the year. Most of the stretch went out of the stretch panels by the second wash, but apart from that they look almost new after a season of riding. My Klim Jersey has also survived encounters with thorn bushes that have shredded my fox jerseys. The downside is they're a bit heaver than regular mx pants, and therefor hotter and a little less comfortable. 

Are the Klim pants made of nylon?

2 hours ago, poldies4 said:

I haven't heard anything from AXO in years, good stuff really.  With that said, if you spend a few more bucks and get pants with a leather inner knee they won't burn.  Also a heat shield/heat tape on the pipe, if you're getting burned that much it would be a good investment.

Woods riding can tear stuff up, one pair of nylon pants just won't last that long.  Almost every manufacturer has a high and low end pant, and those will last a lot longer.  About every year or two I have to throw some away and replace.  I have 4 or 5 pairs that I wear depending on conditions and temps.

I think I’ll have to get some leather pants, either that or put leather on the inner part of my current pants.

Just now, Drzjosh125 said:

Are the Klim pants made of nylon?

Yes, but most of the fabric in the impact areas is the kind of thick "ballistic" nylon you get on street gear. The only areas where you get the thin stretchy stuff that most mx pants are made of are the areas that need articulation. They also have leather panels on the lower legs to give you more grip ad burn resistance.

Just now, TheLastByte said:

Yes, but most of the fabric in the impact areas is the kind of thick "ballistic" nylon you get on street gear. The only areas where you get the thin stretchy stuff that most mx pants are made of are the areas that need articulation. They also have leather panels on the lower legs to give you more grip ad burn resistance.

They are pricey, but they sound pretty good.

Just now, Drzjosh125 said:

I think I’ll have to get some leather pants, either that or put leather on the inner part of my current pants.

It should go without saying that wearing fully leather pants on a dirtbike (or anywhere else that's not a asphalt track or a metal concert) is a terrible idea. 

6 minutes ago, Drzjosh125 said:

Yeah my 250 gets really hot, especially with the new powerbomb I put on it. Back with the stock pipe I didn’t have as many burning issues.

If changing the exhaust alone seriously increased running temperatures you might have jetting issues. You might also want to consider putting some heat wrap on your pipe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

It should go without saying that wearing fully leather pants on a dirtbike (or anywhere else that's not a asphalt track or a metal concert) is a terrible idea. 

I didn’t mean fully leather lol, I mean like leather on the inner calf and ankle. 

Just now, TheLastByte said:

If changing the exhaust alone seriously increased running temperatures you might have jetting issues. You might also want to consider putting some heat wrap on your pipe.

No, the running temp did not change, it’s just the stock pipe had a heat shield whereas the powerbomb does not. As far as tuning goes, I only had to turn the air/fuel screw 1/4 of a turn when I put the powerbomb on. 

1 minute ago, Drzjosh125 said:

I didn’t mean fully leather lol, I mean like leather on the inner calf and ankle. 

Ok good. I have seen a few street bikers who've got into offroading but still want to be ATGATT. It never ends well.  

1 minute ago, Drzjosh125 said:

No, the running temp did not change, it’s just the stock pipe had a heat shield whereas the powerbomb does not. As far as tuning goes, I only had to turn the air/fuel screw 1/4 of a turn when I put the powerbomb on. 

Sounds like a wrap would be a good idea then.

• Like 1

I can’t say what is best, but can say my fly kinetics have been great, and all Thor gear I’ve had as well.

1 hour ago, Drzjosh125 said:

They are pricey, but they sound pretty good.

Be careful on the Klim Dakar's. At some point between '16 and '18 they redesigned the Dakar pants.

Side by side, the newer ones suck (for how expensive they are). Cheaper materials, less comfortable, etc. 

I bought some left overs and were on the verge of do i go up a size, so decided to buy the next size up but had to by current year pants. 

Kept the older ones and returned the new ones. Not worth $220 IMO.