Brand new XR60L oil doesn't register

Brand new guy here.  Sorry, I could not find an introduction thread.  I bought a new 2019 XR650L and have put 100 miles on it.  When I checked the oil (using correct procedure) no oil registerd on the dipstick.  Anyone have a similar experience, or know possible reasons oil would not show up on the dipstick?  Please don't respond "it doesn't register because it doesn't have enought oil in it".  I think I should be worried, what do you think?  I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and don't want to feel like it has been damaged.  It does not smoke, and I don't hear any bad noises.  It has been a lot of years since I've owned a dirt bike but it seems to run fine.  

Edited by PeteBehn

So possibly 2-3 minutes is not long enough to warm it up is what you're saying?  I followed the owners manual.

Thanks.  I'll try that, but still don't know why oil is not showing up when I check it according to the manual unless it never had enough in it to start with.

They are know for using oil. Mines uses a few ounces every few hundred miles.
If it’s cold where you live it will take longer for the bike to warm up. If the bike is not fully warmed up then you can’t get an accurate reading on the dipstick.
Overfilling it by several ounces of oil won’t hurt it either if you feel it could be to low and you add a little.
You can even check the dipstick with the bike still running to make sure no oil goes back down before you check it.
I think the manual says if it’s below 40 degrees to run it 10 minutes before you check it. Would be better to ride it than just let it idle.

If it where me, I'd check the engine oil down by the brake pedal, then I'd fill it with oil to the half mark on the dip stick up top. Run it (warm up) then check oil again. Then I'd either call the dealer and see if they would do a warranty check on the oil if there was a serious amount missing. I wouldn't drop it into a pan unless I video'd it or something I could record it with, or there consent. Something that new is really the Honda dealers responsibility. If you record everything it's easier to have the dealer comply with a warranty. I know from experience.

I guess I should have asked if you messed with it in the 100 miles you've had it. I'm imagining you buying it, oil was good - breaking it in per Honda Manuel and then it being low. Hopefully you aren't the type that goes out and holds it wide open right off the bat. I only do that with my falling saws lol.

But if it where mine I'd be checking the oil every ride while it was new ya know? They do use oil but it enough to notice when they are broke in and in good mechanical working order. Just like any engine.

• Helpful 1

Yep, the service manager is coming to my hose tomorrow to look at it.  At least I got their attention at the dealer.  I just don't have a good feeling about it at all!  I have not ridden it crazy hard, just tried to vary speed, up hill/down hill, that kind of thing.  I really hope Honda/dealer can make me feel satisfied that it's ok or fix the engine.  There again, I really don't want a tech having to tear my brand new engine apart to fix or inspect it.  Thanks for the comment.  Oh, forgot to say, I've felled plenty of trees in my younger years.  Had a small logging/pulpwood operation, cruised and managed timber for private land owners.  Not in huge stuff like you have out there though.

Did you check the oil level with the dipstick unscrewed?  Like others said warm it up and turn it off for a couple.of minutes and.let it settle out and then dip it.  The dealers inspectiom.before releasing it should of required.oil inspection.

Edited by Gary56
Add

It's a Honda...nothing to worry about. The fact that the service dude is making a house call is cool. feel good about your purchase! I have a good feeling it's just under the stick. I'm also being optimistic. I've usually check my oil 1 of two ways depending on my timeframe. I'll do it per manual instructions 98% of the time. The other 2% I'll pull the dipstick while it's running, pull it out wipe the oil on my boot - stick it back in if it's on the stick im good for that ride. Yep

Lots of big timber left over here. If you are party of the good ol boy club they get even bigger! I'm still paying dues. Dirty hands clean money tho!

It sounds like the oil wasn't checked at the dealership when they prepped it.

Depending on how low on oil it was you may or may not have done damage.

I doubt it had the correct amount of oil it and burned it off in 100 miles, you would have seen the smoke.

It's a shame that you have to check everything on a brand new bike but you do.  I had a bike delivered to me with no air filter in it.

19 hours ago, PeteBehn said:

Brand new guy here.  Sorry, I could not find an introduction thread.  I bought a new 2019 XR650L and have put 100 miles on it.  When I checked the oil (using correct procedure) no oil registerd on the dipstick.  Anyone have a similar experience, or know possible reasons oil would not show up on the dipstick?  Please don't respond "it doesn't register because it doesn't have enought oil in it".  I think I should be worried, what do you think?  I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and don't want to feel like it has been damaged.  It does not smoke, and I don't hear any bad noises.  It has been a lot of years since I've owned a dirt bike but it seems to run fine.  

Just drain it and measure it.  It takes 5 minutes.  Or, wait until the dealership rep comes and do it then so you both know.  Neither of you will know anything by looking at the dipstick. 

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Like 2

I have personally proved that an XR650L will run on just half a quart of oil (but not for long at full throttle ?).

The dipstick range is over three inches!  Screwing the dipstick in all the way does not make a significant difference when seeing if you have enough oil.

As for proper warm up and all that, yes you need to do that before adding more oil to make sure that you don't over fill it, but that isn't normally necessary to see if you have enough.  And running it for five minutes is only to get a dead-on accurate reading, it shouldn't even take 30 seconds to see if you're in the ballpark.

A new engine, or one that has been rebuilt with a new check valve to prevent backflow, should still show oil on the dipstick even after sitting for a week.  I just ran out to the garage to see what mine showed after sitting for a full month, and it only had oil on the tip, so eventually the oil drains back.  I'll run the thing before checking mine.

I believe that getting the dealer involved, as the original poster has done, is the right thing to do in this case.  On an older bike, I would be draining the oil to see how much is really in there, since running it doesn't seem to show any on the dipstick.  I'm thinking that is what the dealer will probably do as well.

I hope there is a simple fix to this.  And if it's just low on oil, I would question whether the dealer even did the pre-sale inspection that you probably paid for.