XR650L Brand new XR60L oil doesn't register

8 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

If there's detectable oil in the tank just after running and doing some revving I would think damage had not occurred. There's a good bit of 'tank' below what you can reach with a long improvised dipstick.

Yep, I did find that ther must be a pretty sharp bend that my very thin dowel would not go past.  I did not want to add to my problems by breaking some wood in the tank, so I did not force it.  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Arrowtree551 said:

Aren't Honda dealers closed Mondays?

You are correct, but service mgr was coming to my house on Sunday, so I figured he could just as well have come today if he was really interested in keeping me as a customer.  Evidently, he lives close to me.

You are correct, but service mgr was coming to my house on Sunday, so I figured he could just as well have come today if he was really interested in keeping me as a customer.  Evidently, he lives close to me.
I'd just take a deep breathe and relax. Call the service manager tomorrow and go from there. The fact that he was willing to do it on his days off is kind of wierd, like he felt responsible? Anyways keep it professional and call tonorrow. Heck, load it up and take it to the shop instead. Can't ignore a bike in your face.

I had a lemon bike 2 years ago and mine went South in a hurry but I made it out alive

Any new news? Curious to hear the outcome. I am a mechanic at a dealership (Harley though, not Honda). At every PDI (pre delivery inspection) fluids are the first thing on our checklist, they are rarely low but I have definitely seen it before. I was also surprised to see when I was at the Honda dealer the other day, the new XR650L on the floor only had 0.8 miles on it and the OP mentioned he bought his with 1 mile. It’s surprising to me they don’t take these out and ride them during set up. We have to put a minimum of 5 miles on all bikes at set up.

I bought my son a brand new 2019 CRF50 for Christmas and when we fired it up on Christmas morning it had such bad intake leaks it didn’t even want to run without the choke on. It’s always a bummer when you spend money on something brand new and have issues with it right away. I pulled it in the garage and tore it apart and fixed the leaks but the bike still didn’t run right, so I called the dealer and they agreed something else was wrong with it and I figured I would just let them fix it since it was under warranty. They took care of it for me and did a little extra to make up for the inconvenience (which I did not ask them to do, I know stuff happens and wasn’t too worried about it). Anyways now that I’m done rambling, hopefully you have a similar experience!! On a side note if there was oil in the frame after the bike had been running I doubt any damage has been done, once the levels are corrected I bet you will have many worry free miles on the new bike!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCcycleworks said:

It’s surprising to me they don’t take these out and ride them during set up. We have to put a minimum of 5 miles on all bikes at set up.

When I bought my KTM last summer it had 1 mile on the odometer when I took possession of it and I prefer it that way.  When I'm buying new I want to put all of the miles on it myself.  I had them tweak a few things at the 600 mile service, though.  There was a front wheel balance issue that I'm not sure they would have caught even with a five mile ride.

I bought a 17 beta 500 rr-s and it would only below 5000ft elevation. 3 separate dealer visits, 4 months later and beta ended up taking the bike back. and paying the remainder of the loan. I lost about 3k including travel fees etc. Oh joy.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, DCcycleworks said:

Any new news? Curious to hear the outcome. I am a mechanic at a dealership (Harley though, not Honda). At every PDI (pre delivery inspection) fluids are the first thing on our checklist, they are rarely low but I have definitely seen it before. I was also surprised to see when I was at the Honda dealer the other day, the new XR650L on the floor only had 0.8 miles on it and the OP mentioned he bought his with 1 mile. It’s surprising to me they don’t take these out and ride them during set up. We have to put a minimum of 5 miles on all bikes at set up.

I bought my son a brand new 2019 CRF50 for Christmas and when we fired it up on Christmas morning it had such bad intake leaks it didn’t even want to run without the choke on. It’s always a bummer when you spend money on something brand new and have issues with it right away. I pulled it in the garage and tore it apart and fixed the leaks but the bike still didn’t run right, so I called the dealer and they agreed something else was wrong with it and I figured I would just let them fix it since it was under warranty. They took care of it for me and did a little extra to make up for the inconvenience (which I did not ask them to do, I know stuff happens and wasn’t too worried about it). Anyways now that I’m done rambling, hopefully you have a similar experience!! On a side note if there was oil in the frame after the bike had been running I doubt any damage has been done, once the levels are corrected I bet you will have many worry free miles on the new bike!!

Hey DC.  I actually work part time at a H-D dealer.  I used to put miles on the new Harley's for the techs, among other things.  I've worked in all the departments, so I'm familiar with how a dealership should be run.  Ours is excellent.  Technicians make mistakes from time to time, but I don't think we've had a motorcycle go out with only half its oil.  The service manager never called or came by, so I called today and asked what was up.  Could not talk to the service manager, or they would not let me, I'm not sure which.  They gave me a bit of the run around about: I'm on the porter's schedule to have my bike picked up.  Since I did not know this, I guess they planned on breaking into my garage?  I'm not making this up, I promise!  I did talk to Honda Motor Co USA Motorcycles today just to make them aware of my situation.  We agreed that I would contact the dealer again and set up a time for me to be there/bring the bike so I can see how much oil comes out, and its condition.  I do want to have a good relationship with the dealer.  I bring the bike to them Tuesday, so I'll know more then.  Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Hey DC.  I actually work part time at a H-D dealer.  I used to put miles on the new Harley's for the techs, among other things.  I've worked in all the departments, so I'm familiar with how a dealership should be run.  Ours is excellent.  Technicians make mistakes from time to time, but I don't think we've had a motorcycle go out with only half its oil.  The service manager never called or came by, so I called today and asked what was up.  Could not talk to the service manager, or they would not let me, I'm not sure which.  They gave me a bit of the run around about: I'm on the porter's schedule to have my bike picked up.  Since I did not know this, I guess they planned on breaking into my garage?  I'm not making this up, I promise!  I did talk to Honda Motor Co USA Motorcycles today just to make them aware of my situation.  We agreed that I would contact the dealer again and set up a time for me to be there/bring the bike so I can see how much oil comes out, and its condition.  I do want to have a good relationship with the dealer.  I bring the bike to them Tuesday, so I'll know more then.  Thanks for the post.

Oh cool, what shop do you work at? I’m at D&S Harley in Medford Oregon! Ya I don’t think we have ever seen a bike go out of our shop like that. I would definitely have a little sit down with any of the other techs did something like that. Hope it all gets squared away for you

Southern Devil, Cartersville, GA.  Worked in all departments except motorclothes.  Usually only work when I'm off/summer months.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, PeteBehn said:

After they address your bikes issues I wouldn't set foot in there again.

It sounds like their service department is poorly run and service is about the only thing still keeping a dealership open.

• Like 1

I rode the bike for about 15 minutes yesterday, and then checked the oil.  It was about half way up the stick when I check immediatley after shutting it down.  About 5 min. later, it still read 1/2.  Today, I did not ride it, but warmed it up for about 3 minutes, then waited 2 minutes and checked.  No oil on stick at all.  I wonder if the oil pump or valve, or something is not working right.  I'm used to riding Harleys, so if I'm doing something wrong please chime in.  

I'm taking it to the dealer Tuesday.  I'll be there when they drain it.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, beezer said:

After they address your bikes issues I wouldn't set foot in there again.

It sounds like their service department is poorly run and service is about the only thing still keeping a dealership open.

I agree.  The problem is, they seem to own all of the dealers in the area with certified mechanics.  Not that certified means much to them!  I really hate to think any mechnic/technician could make a mistake, so I'm still hoping it's something I'm doing wrong in checking the oil, or there is a simple fix and it really does have oil in in.  I can't tell you how bad I want to drain the oil, but I'm waiting so the dealer can see, and I can too.

25 minutes ago, PeteBehn said:

I rode the bike for about 15 minutes yesterday, and then checked the oil.  It was about half way up the stick when I check immediatley after shutting it down.  About 5 min. later, it still read 1/2.  Today, I did not ride it, but warmed it up for about 3 minutes, then waited 2 minutes and checked.  No oil on stick at all.  I wonder if the oil pump or valve, or something is not working right.  I'm used to riding Harleys, so if I'm doing something wrong please chime in.  

I'm taking it to the dealer Tuesday.  I'll be there when they drain it.

I would warm up really good....more than 3 minutes.  And turn it off and let it sit for a couple of minutes before checking and that's it.

11 minutes ago, PeteBehn said:

I agree.  The problem is, they seem to own all of the dealers in the area with certified mechanics.  Not that certified means much to them!  I really hate to think any mechnic/technician could make a mistake, so I'm still hoping it's something I'm doing wrong in checking the oil, or there is a simple fix and it really does have oil in in.  I can't tell you how bad I want to drain the oil, but I'm waiting so the dealer can see, and I can too.

Unfortunately being a certified mechanic doesn't tell you much about competence.  Like with many other places, there are far too many "participation trophies" given.

It sounds like your anti-drain back valve is leaking by.  You're a Harley guy so you may be familiar with the problem if you ever had an EVO Softail or a Shovelhead FXR or similar.  Anything with that style bottom end/oil pump and an oil tank higher than the pump commonly had the drain-back issue.

A leaking check valve shouldn't happen on a new pump/bike but, if it's happening, it isn't a huge deal.  It would make some of thoughts of doubt roll around in my head though.  On a new bike you should be able to follow the manual oil check method and get a correct reading.  If not, there is an issue that I would want fixed.  Riding for 15 minutes isn't part of the manual's method so that shouldn't be considered normal.  Again, it's not a huge deal, it happens on plenty of older bikes, it's just something that shouldn't happen on a new bike.  

If drainback is the issue it would take a while for the oil to be pumped back up into the frame if it ever happened at all.  That's probably why you didn't see the oil after the overnight sit and running for 3 minutes.  

• Like 1

In your bikes bag, you should carry a small, clean, popsicle stick. Lay it down on a bench and mark the full and add levels on it.for checking the level in the field. It is an easy LIFE HACK. Never check your oil with it, and frozen fingers. Use factory dipstick for that.

1 hour ago, dickm1good said:

In your bikes bag, you should carry a small, clean, popsicle stick. Lay it down on a bench and mark the full and add levels on it.for checking the level in the field. It is an easy LIFE HACK. Never check your oil with it, and frozen fingers. Use factory dipstick for that.

Does the dipstick not work when your fingers are warm too?