HelenaHanbasket

Polaris 800 sportsman EFI

I haven'tworked on efi much. This quad starts and idles fine. I rode it around for a minute or 2 on the street, then it died. Started right back up and rode it back into the garage. I had already eliminated the safety throttle as an issue, so I know that's not it. Idk if it's a weak fuel pump, clogged filter or what. I'm kinda lost on thin one. Anyone?????

Pretty good chance there's a problem with the pump or something in the fuel system (ie. clogged injector is possible). You can pull the pump out of the tank and check the screen that's attached to it - if it gets dirty then the system doesn't work right. Also, does the pump cycle on when the key is turned on? You should be able to hear it before starting the engine.

Ya, I hear the pump run. I did find an online repair manual. I followed the procedure for the trouble codes and got zero codes. It also explained how to unplug the coolant temp sensor and turn on the key. If all is good there, then the fan comes on and a warning on the screen. That all checked out. Soooooo, without the Polaris software I'm kinda screwed. The last thing is I'm going to pull the inline filter. I would bet it's never been checked. The farmer that owns it bought it new. And knowing how farmers are with their chit............LOL. 

If the inline filter checks out, I will probably pull the pump and check the filter at the bottom. The manual says "unserviceable". Right. 

Another thing that comes to mind is the wiring to the injectors and pump - they can get worn from rubbing on the frame and start shorting out. This is a problem I've seen, but usually on Polaris or Cat ATV's, sometimes almost impossible to find and a new wiring harness is the solution.

3 hours ago, doug the slug said:

Another thing that comes to mind is the wiring to the injectors and pump - they can get worn from rubbing on the frame and start shorting out. This is a problem I've seen, but usually on Polaris or Cat ATV's, sometimes almost impossible to find and a new wiring harness is the solution.

I've looked it all over. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I had to take  shop vac to it first just so I could see anything at all! I picked up a fuel pressure tester and it tests at 39 psi like it should. But, that doesn't mean that the pressure doesn't drop after a couple of minutes of riding. I'm going to pull the filter and see what it's like. How the &%$#@! do the "quick disconnect" fittings come off? &%$#@!ing things! :foul: :D

Had to take the shop vac to it first!

20190209_155122.thumb.jpg.3af003c1f7788a928b440f7095a3f3d2.jpg

Edited by HelenaHanbasket