19 300 cv-w tpi

Looking into buying one of these bikes.. the other option is the Honda 450L.  Anyone here have any experience with the KTM tpi? I travel for work a lot and the fact there’s no jetting the carb is what is selling me.. also the fact it can be plated for the inbetween trail rides

if anyone has ridden both the 300 tpi and the 450l I would appreciate the input

What I’m looking for is a trail bike single track or ATV trails fire roads etc. bike that’s fuel injected so no messing with jets as I travel for work and would take the bike with me all over the southeastern United States to my knowledge the 450 SL and 300 X CW are the only bikes that fit the bill of being able to have a license plate registerEd Excuse the goofiest reply I’m using talk to text as I am driving for work right now

1 hour ago, 2strokenut said:

Not sure what you're asking. The Honda is a Dual sport bike and the TPI is an enduro bike. Are you wanting to use the bike for street commuting?

No I just want to be able to play the bike for in between trails in national parks or forest etc. and those are the only two bikes that I could find that could be plated to run on the road I’m definitely not looking for a commuter bike either of these two just something to have fun with him when I’m off work out of town that has enough to get up and go for me. I may be getting into some interval racing in Florida later on and I was curious as to how the 450 four stroke would perform trail riding or single track for those purposes

Edited by Jake Hostile

15 minutes ago, Jake Hostile said:

No I just want to be able to play the bike for in between trails in national parks or forest etc. and those are the only two bikes that I could find that could be plated to run on the road I’m definitely not looking for a commuter bike either of these two just something to have fun with him when I’m off work out of town that has enough to get up and go for me. I may be getting into some interval racing in Florida later on and I was curious as to how the 450 four stroke would perform trail riding or single track for those purposes

The TPI is probably the only 2-stroke that can do what you are asking it to do. The 450 is probably more at home on dirt roads and the in between stuff but guaranteed the 300 will be a more fun to ride bike when it gets rough or you want to race the thing. No mixing, smooth power and zero vibration makes the TPI probably a good choice.

I think the biggest question is do you want a 4-stroke or 2-stroke?

Another thing to consider is reliability. Honda has always been know for making solid bikes but right now the TPIs models are having issues in that department. If that oil injection breaks down at all, you’ll blow your motor. The part also needs to be replaced every 80 hours I think and it’s not cheap. If you want speed then 4 strokes are the way of the future. That being said my 280 lbs CRF450X felt pretty light considering the weight versus a 240lbs XCW. Lotta options you gotta consider before jumping into either one

6 minutes ago, kgish475 said:

Another thing to consider is reliability. Honda has always been know for making solid bikes but right now the TPIs models are having issues in that department. If that oil injection breaks down at all, you’ll blow your motor. The part also needs to be replaced every 80 hours I think and it’s not cheap. If you want speed then 4 strokes are the way of the future. That being said my 280 lbs CRF450X felt pretty light considering the weight versus a 240lbs XCW. Lotta options you gotta consider before jumping into either one

Youtube clickbate videos are not valid issues. With that said you have less to go wrong with a 4t. 

4 minutes ago, 2strokes_rule said:

I like this for you: https://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/350-exc-f/

Just my opinion, but 2-strokes suck on the road. Even if just connecting trails. I think exploring out of town will have you on more connector roads than you think.

Normally I would agree with you but my TPI on the road is extremely pleasant. 

• Like 1

Youtube clickbate videos are not valid issues. With that said you have less to go wrong with a 4t. 

Yeah I’m just basing this off of previously owning a 4 stroke then getting a KTM 2 stroke. I’m had to replace more bearings in the 6 months on a 2015 KTM then I ever did in 4 years with a 2009 Honda. Shouldn’t have gotten the KTM and I’ll be going back to Honda ASAP

Just my opinion, but 2-strokes suck on the road. Even if just connecting trails. I think exploring out of town will have you on more connector roads than you think.

Yeah I’ve noticed the same. I don’t like to pin my smoker just to go 50 mpg between my house and my buddies a mile away. My old thumper handled it with out making me worried I was going to blow the top end

2 minutes ago, kgish475 said:

Yeah I’ve noticed the same. I don’t like to pin my smoker just to go 50 mpg between my house and my buddies a mile away. My old thumper handled it with out making me worried I was going to blow the top end

I live in a town where I ride my bike to the gas station to fill up before heading out to the trails. Cruising at 45-50 ish is not screaming the bike at all and feels natural. I could gear it up more but I use the bike for extreme enduro, it just wouldn't make sense. 

13/50 on a carb'd 300 probably isn't good for riding on the street. I have a 17 carbd lectron 300 and it's nothing like the TPI, just more pipey like a regular 2t.

Just an opinion from someone who has both

ymmv

I live in a town where I ride my bike to the gas station to fill up before heading out to the trails. Cruising at 45-50 ish is not screaming the bike at all and feels natural. I could gear it up more but I use the bike for extreme enduro, it just wouldn't make sense. 

13/50 on a carb'd 300 probably isn't good for riding on the street. I have a 17 carbd lectron 300 and it's nothing like the TPI, just more pipey like a regular 2t.

ymmv

Alright dude, didn’t mean to step on any toes. I was generalizing more than giving actual facts. Good to hear those can do a steady cruise like that. Always thought 2 strokes didn’t like sustained speeds like that for too long.

6 minutes ago, kgish475 said:

Alright dude, didn’t mean to step on any toes. I was generalizing more than giving actual facts. Good to hear those can do a steady cruise like that. Always thought 2 strokes didn’t like sustained speeds like that for too long.

Sorry if that came off confrontational, wasn't my intention. Just giving my experience. Before my TPI I would have been with ya 100%.

?

2 hours ago, 2strokes_rule said:

Well I work for a foundation drilling company and we put in foundations for transmission lines so I would use my work truck to get me to the right of way then ride the power lines mostly but the plate would come in handy for running around the motel for food and what not. I’m a diese mechanic and I know my way around a 2 stroke so that’s why I was leaning more towards the 300 and either go tpi or non tpi with lectern or smart carb. I’ve been seeing a TON of used 200 and 300cc KTM s non tpi for less than half the price of new but I’m thinking the only option is going to be lectern or smart carb on the older model 2 strokes.. I really appreciate all the input. My last bike was a drz400sm. I wasn’t happy with the way it rode. Not enough balls for me and I didn’t want to drop a few grand into a tired bike to get the pep I wanted 

2 hours ago, 2strokenut said:

ymmv

I don’t plan on taking any ride on the road for maybe a mile or two and definitely not winding it out too speed for any period. I am looking for a bike that I can hard wnduronand that is why I was leaning towards the 300, I like the idea of the tpi and that’s why I was wondering about the 450 l being thatbit was also fuel injected. Hell I was even considering a new xr 650 l with a lectron.. not really the greatest trail bike but the price is hard to beat. With all the negative comments on the tpi maybe I will hold out for the 2020 model year tpi and hope all the bugs are worked out of it 

9 minutes ago, Jake Hostile said:

I don’t plan on taking any ride on the road for maybe a mile or two and definitely not winding it out too speed for any period. I am looking for a bike that I can hard wnduronand that is why I was leaning towards the 300, I like the idea of the tpi and that’s why I was wondering about the 450 l being thatbit was also fuel injected. Hell I was even considering a new xr 650 l with a lectron.. not really the greatest trail bike but the price is hard to beat. With all the negative comments on the tpi maybe I will hold out for the 2020 model year tpi and hope all the bugs are worked out of it 

The bikes are reliable, the negative comments come from people who don't own them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

The bikes are reliable, the negative comments come from people who don't own them. 

Do you have any footage on YouTube? I’ve been trying to watch as many videos as I can but it seems like only one or two people actually get on the 300 and RIP THAT BI***

2 minutes ago, Jake Hostile said:

Do you have any footage on YouTube? I’ve been trying to watch as many videos as I can but it seems like only one or two people actually get on the 300 and RIP THAT BI***

What kind of person is more likely to make a video, someone who is pissed off or someone who is enjoying their bike?  I'm not saying problems don't exist its just that it is a small portion of people who own them. 

Most people are busy riding and enjoying their TPIs and won't bother making a youtube video. 

• Like 1