md30

Any way to buy a JD needle only?

Finally going to do the 3x3 on my 400s model, but I don't see how a needle and couple jets can justifiably cost $80. So can I just buy the needle separately?

Or, has anyone tried the 3x3 and kept the stock needle but swapped out the jets only?

Well for one thing the stock needle only has one notch and so is non-adjustable and has a rather lean profile to satisfy epa emissions.

A jet kit improves performance by allowing you to adjust a needle that has a profile tuned specifically for that motor under a wide variety of conditions.The main reason for buying a jet kit is for the needle technology.If you want to go cheap buy a DynoJet kit but also realize it hasn't been improved much in at least the last 10 years.The JD kit is a much better value that gives you more tuning options and has great instructions and tech support.ymmv

• Like 2

I bought just the blue needle on eBay for $10. I don't anticipate ever needing the red one, and I guess the guy I bought it from felt the same way about the blue one. I also bought the Jets separately.

• Like 1

$80, I wish.  On the north side of your northern border, the JD kit was around $120 (maybe a bit more). It was worth it just for the driveability improvements it made to my bone-stock 400S. Getting the kit meant I had all the parts to choose from in one spot at one time, no waiting for the last bit to (hopefully) show up.

• Like 1

I bought the full kit and it did seem like a lot of cash for some small bits of metal.  It worked for me in the end as I ended up using a different jet than the one I thought I needed.  It took me a little bit of fiddling to find the right jet and clip setting for my bike and where I ride so it ended up being worth it to have the adjustable clip and the extra jets.

• Like 1

Most of the price is those needles. The jets are just oem or equivalent jets you can buy yourself

8 hours ago, Juney said:

I bought just the blue needle on eBay for $10. I don't anticipate ever needing the red one, and I guess the guy I bought it from felt the same way about the blue one. I also bought the Jets separately.

Thanks for that tip! I also found a guy just selling the blue needle which is what I need, but it doesn't come with a needle clip. Did yours? If not, do you know if the stock needle clip works on the JD needle?

I don't remember if I used the original or not. Maybe someone else here will chime in...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkcontrol said:

Are you running the Fcr or Mikuni Bsr36?

stock mikuni.

i found a guy on ebay selling just the blue needle and some jets for $25. thanks everyone who helped!