IMS 3 Gallon Fuel Tank Installation for the 2019 Honda CRF450L

Got my tank installed today. Pretty straightforward.

Remove seat and front fork reflectors (they will rub on tank). Re-torque fork pinch bolts to 15 ft-lbs.

20190210_141027

Remove forward side fairings.

20190210_141452

Remove tank cover and remove 3 tank mounting bolts.

20190210_141810

Disconnect fuel tank electrical connector.

20190210_142712

Disconnect fuel connection by removing bolt on hold down clamp and lift up on green lock.  

20190210_142506

Remove tank and transfer fuel pump assembly to IMS tank. Add additional washer under OEM washers and use supplied bolts. Torque bolts to 8 ft-lbs. Install front attach point bracket with rubber grommet on tank. Install tank on bike and connect electrical connector, fuel line and fuel line clamp.

20190210_145402

Install bumper on right rear mounting point.

20190210_151412

Install “L” bracket at left rear mounting point and forward attach bolt.

20190210_155242

Install forward seat bracket, side covers and seat.

20190210_163134

Thank you to IMS and ThumperTalk!

Edited by SanDogDewey
  • Like 8
  • Helpful 3

On 2/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, Bryan Bosch said:

How's the width? Any noticeable difference between your knees? Anxious to read how it changes the bike's feel (if at all). Looks good!

I’d love comment on the rideability Bryan, and soon I will. Unfortunately it is hovering around the 30’s here in Oregon with 2 rare snowfalls on the coast. Can’t wait to get it up in the hills! The tank doesn’t affect the bike width at the knees as the stock plastics still fit well. The tank does extend forward quite a bit which is why the front reflectors had to be removed. I’m guessing the CG will move a bit forward with the new tank.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SanDogDewey said:

I’d love comment on that Bryan, and soon I will. Unfortunately it is hovering around the 30’s here in Oregon with 2 rare snowfalls on the coast. Can’t wait to get it up in the hills!

Oh, that's right. Heard you guys were getting slammed w/ the white stuff. Hard to remember when it's sunny and 80. ? Looking forward to your report! I bet it felt weird pulling off that Ti tank! Any idea of the weight diff between the two?

How'd the width? Any noticeable difference between your knees? Anxious to read how it changes the bike's feel (if at all). Looks good!

I have had an IMS tank on my CRF450L for a few months. I was the first person to have one in the natural color. You can’t really tell the differences in width compared to stock and the tank does not get in the way. It is very well built the only issue I found with fit was, I put a longer bolt on the left side radiator shroud. I replaced the stock black bolt in the middle with a longer bolt so I did not have to trim the left radiator shroud.

The quality and fit is great. I recommend the IMS tank if you are looking for a bigger tank. The only way the tank could get bigger, would be to have a tank that replaces the radiator shrouds and hold fuel in the shrouds.
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • NoFiddyPilot changed the title to IMS 3 Gallon Fuel Tank Installation for the 2019 Honda CRF450L
  • 4 weeks later...

Huge thanks for doing this...following your instructions made this far more tolerable!!  Just installed and no leaks (phew).  You da man.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking forward to adding this to my bike. Thanks OP for the write-up. 

You will like the IMS tank. I got the natural so it is easier to se the fuel levels plus I think it makes it look a little more like a dirt bike. You will be very happy with the tank. The stock tank is hard to figure out how much fuel is left (even though it has a fuel meter, I have never trusted it). I have had zero issues with my tank. The only thing I don’t like is sometimes the fuel vent hose pops off the fuel cap at times. If I safety wired it to the cap, that would fix the problem. It is nice the have the extra fuel.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MarkCRF450L said:

You will like the IMS tank. I got the natural so it is easier to se the fuel levels plus I think it makes it look a little more like a dirt bike. You will be very happy with the tank. The stock tank is hard to figure out how much fuel is left (even though it has a fuel meter, I have never trusted it). I have had zero issues with my tank. The only thing I don’t like is sometimes the fuel vent hose pops off the fuel cap at times. If I safety wired it to the cap, that would fix the problem. It is nice the have the extra fuel.

I have found the fuel metering system spot on!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A couple of questions.   Did you remove both the OEM dust seal and the OEM Oring?  It seems that the Oring could remain there although it won't be doing anything.

The two bolts that hold the bracket on the pump flange seem to be a little short.  With the extra width of the bracket, I would expect those two bolts to be a bit longer.  Did you just use the IMS supplied bolts with no issues for those two holes?  Did you still use the IMS washers and the OEM spring washer?

Thank you for your help and your pictures. 

32 minutes ago, syjl said:

A couple of questions.   Did you remove both the OEM dust seal and the OEM Oring?  It seems that the Oring could remain there although it won't be doing anything.

The two bolts that hold the bracket on the pump flange seem to be a little short.  With the extra width of the bracket, I would expect those two bolts to be a bit longer.  Did you just use the IMS supplied bolts with no issues for those two holes?  Did you still use the IMS washers and the OEM spring washer?

Thank you for your help and your pictures. 

I'm just a peasant on here, but as I understood it, you remove both seals/rings, and thats what I did. No issues.