mikemiso

100 miles on 15yo DRZ?

Replied to a 2014 DRZ400s ad on Craigslist with 100 miles on it in mint condition $3500 (no photo). Asked if he had a photo and he sent me one. He said he posted wrong and meant to say 2004. The bike looked like a brand new 2004 stock. That 10 years changed my reaction to the mileage as you can imagine. Would you consider this bike of that age with 100 and change miles on it?

Still waiting on his reply to that question. This bike is a lot closer to me than the last one I was looking at checking out. Just wondering what you guys think about a bike that old with that kind of mileage and problems that can arise. I mean how does that even happen? 100 miles in 15 years? The guy is the original owner by the way.

I guess you had better go see the bike, inspect it with a fine tooth comb, and then spring the question. Why only 100 miles? You may get the answer from the tire's? What tire was used on this 2004 DRZ 400? Plus ask him if there original tire's? Inspect the chain and sprocket's, especially the nuts on rear sprocket.  Make sure the motor is cold when he goes to start it!Give him your truck keys and take it for a spin. Good Luck

It's not uncommon for the pilot jet to clog if left sitting for extending periods causing the bike not to start. If by chance the bike won't start when you get there keep that in mind but use it to your advantage when negotiating price.

• Like 1

Yeah the guy is elusive. I’ve been having a hell of a time dealing with Craigslist sellers the last month or so. 

Yeah the guy is elusive. I’ve been having a hell of a time dealing with Craigslist sellers the last month or so. 
CL is a pia, especially if you are a seller. You're constantly battling against low ballers, scam artists, and hood rats trying to rob you. As a buyer the best thing to do is ask the guy when and where you could look at the bike. Even suggest the local police department before be does. If he's legit he will be happy with your request. If he's a scammer he won't want anything to do with police. That's my experience with CL anyway.

The biggest problem with a low mileage old bike is storage. and internal rust, primarily on the crank big end. No way to know for sure until you run it for a few hours. If it were rusted, a bit of run time would cause the rust to wear off and the clearances get large, inducing a sloppy fit and clunking, followed by a rod failure. Stored inside a climate controlled space, probably ok. In a three walled shed in Virginia, not so much. In a bone yard in AZ, probably fine.

• Like 2

If the bike sat for a while seals can dry out then leak. If a seller is not freely giving you info I probably wouldn't waste my time either. 

It's not uncommon for the pilot jet to clog if left sitting for extending periods causing the bike not to start. If by chance the bike won't start when you get there keep that in mind but use it to your advantage when negotiating price.

VERY true, bought my last one just this way. Checked compression and wear/tear evidence and went from $1,500 to $900 instantly because it wouldn’t start and plastics were really faded out. Dumped the tank and cleaned the carb then it started with about 5 kicks.

I just need to be patient. It’s February in the northeast so I’m in no rush. Just been looking for the a good deal since it is winter and not many people are buying motorcycles. A lot of sellers are delusional with their asking prices. Just need to weed out all of the junk and wait for the right deal.

I looked up the ad. Philly/Wilmington area, right? If it's legit, it's worth looking at, only if the seller agrees to meet at a secure area. With such little ad info, it's hard to tell if it's an older fellow that doesn't like to type or post pics, or a scammer. It shouldn't apply to the drz, but I've seen mileage claims on C'list with a posted pic of the miles on a resettable mechanical odometer. 

I wouldn't wait too long in your search though. Once the weather gets warmer up there, prices will get even more ridiculous.

Yes that’s the one. Not much to go off of with that ad and the only thing he sent me was a single picture which looked good and basically just repeated what the ad said which is pretty much one sentence. I just sent him another message saying I’d like to see it but I just need to know if it starts up/runs. I’m an hour away from him. You think that’s a fair price?

Possible he means 100 miles on a rebuilt engine, but that means he rolled back the miles. Either way this guy sounds sketchy already. 

I know this is an alien concept in 2019 but have you called the guy yet?

Text is fine to ask if the bike is still available or to ask a few simple questions but beyond that I'll flat out tell people they have to call me. If they continue to text I'll ignore them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:
18 hours ago, mikemiso said:

CL is a pia, especially if you are a seller. You're constantly battling against low ballers, scam artists, and hood rats trying to rob you. As a buyer the best thing to do is ask the guy when and where you could look at the bike. Even suggest the local police department before be does. If he's legit he will be happy with your request. If he's a scammer he won't want anything to do with police. That's my experience with CL anyway.

Ohio sounds a lot like NY.

• Like 1

call him and feel him out. its quicker then texting back and forth all day,  btw this is a good time to buy a bike, the prices will go up in a month.

Trust me, I would absolutely call him. That’s my preferred method of contact. The guy only has email available and still hasn’t gotten back to me. I’m beginning to think this ad is bogus.

Edited by mikemiso

Message him one last time and tell him if he can't respond to your questions, or provide a phone # to call him, you're moving on. If no satisfactory response, move on.

• Like 1