LSHD

Padded Shorts - Want hard pads with upper hip protection

Had a pretty good crash Friday at about 38 mph. Slammed onto a whoop with my left hip. Bruised from upper hip bone to ball joint area. I was wearing Nike padded shorts, which helped a lot. But I want something even better.

Any recommendations? I see the Troy Lee's are well liked, but they don't look like they have the padding I want on the entire hip area. The rest of me is armored up well. My thighs and hips are what is getting hurt most often on get-offs, even with padded thighs on the Nike's (below).

m_5ad7b8a9a4c485971dfca4b1.jpg

Maybe snowboard, hockey, or LaCrosse shorts would be better. Have to have the thigh pads in front/sides, plus better hip pointer protection.

Edited by LSHD

I wear football shorts but they are no different than any of the dirtbike shorts out there. I'm guessing you may have to add some of your own extra padding to what you already have. Most MX pants also have pads in the hips. You could replace those with hard plastic pads for a tougher layer over the softer cushion of what is on your shorts.... or just stop crashing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Had a pretty good crash Friday at about 38 mph. Slammed onto a whoop with my left hip. Bruised from upper hip bone to ball joint area. I was wearing Nike padded shorts, which helped a lot. But I want something even better.

Any recommendations? I see the Troy Lee's are well liked, but they don't look like they have the padding I want on the entire hip area. The rest of me is armored up well. My thighs and hips are what is getting hurt most often on get-offs, even with padded thighs on the Nike's (below).

m_5ad7b8a9a4c485971dfca4b1.jpg

Maybe snowboard, hockey, or LaCrosse shorts would be better. Have to have the thigh pads in front/sides, plus better hip pointer protection.

I had some underarmor ones like that and they were nice, but I got a rash from them riding for long hours. 

So, I bought the Klim ones, while not cheap at $100 they work and are very comfortable. Do not wear underwear under them. 

But, I did crash a few times where I hit my thighs into the grips and there wasn't an upper thigh pad. So, had my wife sew in a pair of black socks to them so I could stuff the removable armor in. Now they are perfect. My thigh impacts were like a baseball bat to the thighs, even drew blood out of the skin. I'm also lucky to not have broken my neck in one of those falls...flipping over the bars is scary...

I have the Troy Lee 7605 shorts, they work well. At first I wasn't sure I'd like the extra bulk in the crotch (I already don't have any spare room... ladies...), but they're comfortable and I forget I have them on. I have pretty muscular thighs but even on me the bottom edge of the leg isn't as tapered as I'd expect. It's not overly loose or anything, but it's not skin snug. I almost bought the 5605 as they look like maybe they have slightly better padding, but it's hard to tell, so I went with the more expensive one (because capitalism).

Tekrider made armored shorts for snocross racers many years back, I have a few pairs of those.  1/4" foam on tailbone and back of legs, with hard armor (UHMW and closed-cell foam) on hips and thighs.  I removed the thigh pads, since they interfere with my knee guards.

These work really well on the moto, and they're what I wear most of the time on the sled.

IMG_20180127_153025690-L.jpg

Hockey referee shorts are typically what I'll wear racing on snow, or on colder days.  Sub-zero riding a few days ago, having the extra coverage was kind of nice.  3/8" foam just about everywhere, with hard plastic on the tailbone.  Comfortable, but more diaper-ish than my snocross shorts are.

IMG_20180127_153252323-L.jpg

• Like 3

I was looking at these, Alpinestars Sequence Pro Black/Red Padded Shorts, because of the high thigh padding, but after reading a few reviews they seem to only absorb very light impacts. I was also looking at those Nike football shorts. After My last big off (3 weeks ago...at least 3 more before I can ride again) I'd like some with a bit more armor on the front of the thighs, I have some massive deep bruising there.

AS650771801356-c.jpg&f=1

There is also the Leatt GPX 5.5 Airflex Impact Shorts. they look much the same and don't get any better reviews.

a16.jpg

I like my Rock Gardn CYA shorts, use them for hochey too.

https://www.allsportprotection.com/RockGardn_CYA_Padded_Shorts_p/rkgdn011.htm

Make your own using D30!

Inspired by ideas on this thread...

Better built-in hip pads?

https://thumpertalk.com/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/1258233-Better-built-in-hip-pads%3F

I made these...

IMG_2503.thumb.JPG.aba2416a3dfce04fb71b6cd895f60c78.JPG

...I slip them in my MX pants just before hitting the dirt. No extra layer to make me hot. Nothing I have to go into the car to change into or out of. Super easy and the 3DO material makes them comfy while providing good protection.

• Like 1

These were the UA shorts I had, and they were perfect other than giving me rash (very stout frontal thigh pad but it doesn't breath). Might be worth trying, but they aren't cheap either if they don't work, $50+

ua.jpg.4bd64f4f47e369c417938a2cee12cd65.jpg

14 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Tekrider made armored shorts for snocross racers many years back, I have a few pairs of those.  1/4" foam on tailbone and back of legs, with hard armor (UHMW and closed-cell foam) on hips and thighs.  I removed the thigh pads, since they interfere with my knee guards.

These work really well on the moto, and they're what I wear most of the time on the sled.

IMG_20180127_153025690-L.jpg

Hockey referee shorts are typically what I'll wear racing on snow, or on colder days.  Sub-zero riding a few days ago, having the extra coverage was kind of nice.  3/8" foam just about everywhere, with hard plastic on the tailbone.  Comfortable, but more diaper-ish than my snocross shorts are.

IMG_20180127_153252323-L.jpg

Those Hockey referee shorts could be ideal, padded front, hip... but is the butt too padded making it funny to sit on the bike?

15 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Those Hockey referee shorts could be ideal, padded front, hip... but is the butt too padded making it funny to sit on the bike? 

They're not nearly as thick/protective as hockey players pants; it's just 3/8" foam just about everywhere and a thin layer of foam on a hard plastic piece for tailbone protection. 

I've worn them in the truck to the mountain, and all day on sleds... sitting down, standing up, i really don't notice it.  I can't remember if i've worn them on the moto before.  They were recommended by someone here on TT. 

Bought mine for $10 or so at play-it-again-sports.  Ebay might have something too.  Worth checking out.  :excuseme:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SnowMule said:

They're not nearly as thick/protective as hockey players pants; it's just 3/8" foam just about everywhere and a thin layer of foam on a hard plastic piece for tailbone protection. 

I've worn them in the truck to the mountain, and all day on sleds... sitting down, standing up, i really don't notice it.  I can't remember if i've worn them on the moto before.  They were recommended by someone here on TT. 

Bought mine for $10 or so at play-it-again-sports.  Ebay might have something too.  Worth checking out.  :excuseme:

Play it again sports, that is a great idea! Was wondering where I could physically go and look at stuff like football girdles and hockey gear. 

Check out in line hockey shorts/girdles.  I got a relatively low profile one that fits under my riding pants... only the kidney belt sticks out above the waistline.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

These look pretty good. Hafta see if I can actually get them here without costing squillions. Not too many ice hockey shops here. :nz:

dyngjr5brd_war_04_i?$dw_temp_default_gal

warrior girdle <link

Thanks LSHD for getting Me back thinking about these again.

Based on my high speed get offs lately, these are looking really good.

The Nike shorts worked pretty well for as hard as I hit. But a bit more padding around the top edge of my hip would be nice, as well as a little more hard pad in front, where you are more likely to bang your thigh. I will seriously think about one of those girdle designs, because the rest of me is padded up really well and this would complete the armor.