gr4vitas

2018 xcw 300 headlight options

Does anyone make a drop into place (in the stock headlight housing) LED replacement headlight that's not outrageously priced? I've rigged up my own auxiliary LED light but I'm looking to add something to compliment them in place of the stock housing. IE: Baja Designs squadron minus the absurd price. https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/XL-Pro-LED-KTM-2017-Kits.asp

If I can't find anything thats reasonably priced I'll have to fab up my own but I'm looking to save my self the additional time and hassle but if I can't find something for sub $150 I'll have no choice.

IMG_20190110_193537.thumb.jpg.6cee5138ff8fcf2f851fc4e6d3ff8efe.jpg

I'm just in the process of playing with a 32W h4 led, just waiting for rectifier/regulator to arrive to see how it works out.

The baja squadron sport is perfect for trail riding, baja doesn't make a mount for it for the 17+ bikes, but motominded does.

https://www.motominded.com/collections/ktm-2017-19-xc-w-150-250-300/products/ktm-2017-xc-w-250-300-tpi?variant=13810820153405 

I know its above your budget, but significantly cheaper the the xl version at 450$.

I had the baja squadron sport on my old bike with a tusk helmet light and loved it, did plenty of gnarly technical night rides with that setup.

The motominded mount looks amazing, I linked you the one I got for my 18 xc-w 300, mounts right up, plug and play.

1 hour ago, Steph7 said:

The baja squadron sport is perfect for trail riding, baja doesn't make a mount for it for the 17+ bikes, but motominded does.

https://www.motominded.com/collections/ktm-2017-19-xc-w-150-250-300/products/ktm-2017-xc-w-250-300-tpi?variant=13810820153405

I know its above your budget, but significantly cheaper the the xl version at 450$.

I had the baja squadron sport on my old bike with a tusk helmet light and loved it, did plenty of gnarly technical night rides with that setup.

The motominded mount looks amazing, I linked you the one I got for my 18 xc-w 300, mounts right up, plug and play.

Was the bikes stock system capable of running the light?  Someone told me Id need a bigger stator to run an electric fan or upgraded light.

Yes, plenty.

The stock bulb is 35w, the squadron sport is only 26w.

Our stator output is 100w, 70w is dedicated to the AC circuit, where our bulb pulls from. The kit also comes with a rectifier, so you don't have to worry about converting it from AC to DC, it's straight up plug and play.

Also, correction on what I linked above. The squadron sport (26w) was the model I had on my old bike, this time I got the squadron pro (40w) version for more lumens since the stator on this bike can handle it, my old bike stator couldn't handle a 40w LED.

The 250$ squadron sport version is plenty by the way, I just do a ton of night riding and had money to burn, so I went for more lumens wit the pro. The 26w version is plenty when coupled with a helmet light. Some would argue you don't need a helmet light, it all comes down to what you ride, but if you tackle gnarly trails, I highly recommend a helmet light to kill all the shadows.

I have the Motominded Squadron and my brother has the Cyclopes LED bulb.

Both are very comparable. The Cyclops is $90 for the bulb plus $20 for the rectifier. It’s Plug and play. It also has a low and high beam.

The Cyclops is a much whiter light next to the squadron more yellow light.

Again both are good lights.

After having used both, I don’t know which I like better.

For reference, both lights are mounted to 2017 XC 300’s.

I finished my led conversation on my 18 250xc

H4 LED 32watt low beam ($20 cdn)

12v rectifier/regulator ($15 cdn)

Some slight filing to the headlight bulb fitment plate to fit.

Re-used the factory "4 prong" plug so it's a plug and play. No splicing

I only wired for low beam as I dont ride in the dark but having a headlight is required by law for the trails here.

I'll have to wait and see the longevity of the led bulb, but being its something I dont use often I'm sure it will do me fine.

71VnXZt0YrL._SY355_.jpeg.4febd8cf7bba6ad5c33ae6452b60c781.jpeg20190210_122722.jpeg.0f6ca33e06fc5b9906cf420ded490692.jpeg20190212_195052.jpeg.9fecd650db7a02cbcfcdf9e4287c3a00.jpeg

• Like 1

hoping someone can help be out with an electrical question here.

I have a 2009 250xc.  It has a battery, E start, headlight, no tail light installed but has the plug.  Can anyone tell me if i'm currently pumping AC or DC to my headlight?  i'm guessing the answer is no, lack of info.  

I bought myself a small LED bar and fork mounts and want to get it install, but i know the LED bar requires DC.  If i need, and get, a rectifier, can i just put it on the headlight circuit to keep my other electronics working as they do?

hoping someone can help be out with an electrical question here.

I have a 2009 250xc.  It has a battery, E start, headlight, no tail light installed but has the plug.  Can anyone tell me if i'm currently pumping AC or DC to my headlight?  i'm guessing the answer is no, lack of info.  

I bought myself a small LED bar and fork mounts and want to get it install, but i know the LED bar requires DC.  If i need, and get, a rectifier, can i just put it on the headlight circuit to keep my other electronics working as they do?

Your headlight is going to be AC power from factory. Your led would need a rectifier to function properly. It will work on AC but will have a stroke effect and might not last as long.

Go on amazon and order a rectifier/regulator, wire up the 4 wires, and that's it.

2 wires to AC wires, 1 to Dc and 1 to ground. Very simple

https://www.amazon.com/Mx-M-Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-125cc-250cc/dp/B01LWZ5TBB/ref=mp_s_a_1_24?crid=190K1474ZBPZV&keywords=rectifier+regulator&qid=1550591246&s=gateway&sprefix=rectifier+re&sr=8-24

Thanks for the clarification.  

would I wire this in the headlight circuit only?  or straight between the stator and the rest of the system?  trying to do a cheap headlight upgrade here (bored winter projects).  not really interested in having to get new DC components for the rest of the bike.  

Wire it in directly at the headlights and you'll be good to go. I bought the electrical connectors for my bike (square 4 prong) so it's plug and play, no cutting or splicing factory stuff.