rpt50

18" rear wheel for off road YZ125-yea, it's worth it.

Well I have now tried my 18" wheel on both my 03 and 06 "woods duty only" YZ 125s, and I've come to the conclusion that it is a worthwhile mod.   The bigger tire seems to help with bump compliance and traction on rooty corners and uphills (two areas where the 19" kicks around a lot), and I don't really notice any significant penalty due to drive line mass.  A few things that might be of interest:

1. I did the Tusk rim/spoke kit for $127.  IMO a great deal.  High quality and easy to assemble.  I am done messing with seized spokes and truing wheels on used bikes.  I'm just buying the tusk kit.

2. I have used Artrax and IRC vulcanduro 100/100 18 tires.  Both are light, but I the IRC feels lighter (I don't have anything at the house to accurately weigh a tire).  I also use a standard tube.  With the standard tube and 1 rimlock, the 18" assembly is about 1 - 1.5 pounds heavier than the 19" as best that I can tell with the super scientific apparatus I have at home (me holding the wheels while standing on a bathroom scale).

3. When I say it is worth it, I mean it's somewhere on the list after getting your suspension re-valved, getting appropriate bike protection for your conditions, and keeping fresh tires on your bike.  It's not the first thing I would rush out and do for a YZ125 that is going to see off road duty.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

I’ve got the rim kits in my cart on rocky mtn. However I got side tracked with a LHRB on the 250x. Rekluse thinks their master cylinder sleeve is made from gold or titanium.
I’ve since had the rear shock revalved for woods and I’m still running the 525 in 19”. The bike tracked straight over some bad chop and up some slick rock infested climbs. I’m wondering how much better the 18” would improve the handling with what I’ve got done so far?

Well I have now tried my 18" wheel on both my 03 and 06 "woods duty only" YZ 125s, and I've come to the conclusion that it is a worthwhile mod.   The bigger tire seems to help with bump compliance and traction on rooty corners and uphills (two areas where the 19" kicks around a lot), and I don't really notice any significant penalty due to drive line mass.  A few things that might be of interest:
1. I did the Tusk rim/spoke kit for $127.  IMO a great deal.  High quality and easy to assemble.  I am done messing with seized spokes and truing wheels on used bikes.  I'm just buying the tusk kit.
2. I have used Artrax and IRC vulcanduro 100/100 18 tires.  Both are light, but I the IRC feels lighter (I don't have anything at the house to accurately weigh a tire).  I also use a standard tube.  With the standard tube and 1 rimlock, the 18" assembly is about 1 - 1.5 pounds heavier than the 19" as best that I can tell with the super scientific apparatus I have at home (me holding the wheels while standing on a bathroom scale).
3. When I say it is worth it, I mean it's somewhere on the list after getting your suspension re-valved, getting appropriate bike protection for your conditions, and keeping fresh tires on your bike.  It's not the first thing I would rush out and do for a YZ125 that is going to see off road duty.

I just posted a thread asking about this. Thank you for this info it is much appreciated.

Also were did you find your tusk kit ?

I tried a set of Artrax tires. Couldn’t get rid of them fast enough. In my opinion one of the worst tires as far as traction. Cheap, but poor performers.
  • Like 1

Just curious, which 19" tires did you use as comparison? I have considered running 18" on my yz250, but not quite there yet...

2 hours ago, fowler175 said:

Just curious, which 19" tires did you use as comparison? I have considered running 18" on my yz250, but not quite there yet...

I've burned through so many tires on that 125 I could not even tell you all the different types I have tried.  One that I did like a lot however was the Sedona mx907 in the 100/90 19 size.  Very skinny with a rounded profile that really makes the bike turn well.  The tire seem to provide decent traction in the usual woods conditions I see.