Dirtbikepaulito

18in vs 19in rear motorcycle wheel?

Is the 18 inch THAT much of a difference ? Thinking about running one on my 125, but thinking twice as it’s a little pricey for me at the moment. Heard the 18 with a trails tire kicks ass. Any input is much appreciated

Depends on what terrain you ride. I think the 18 is better in general for off-road to prevent pinch flats and to allow slightly lower pressure for better traction. For a 125 though, you may notice the increased weight. You can just buy a rim and spokes and lace it up to your stock rim to save a few bucks.

I am not a huge fan of trials tires for what I ride (too much top soil and loose mud), but they are great on hard pack, rocks, and roots where a knobby wouldn't be able to dig in and the trials will conform and grip.

• Like 1

Depends on what terrain you ride. I think the 18 is better in general for off-road to prevent pinch flats and to allow slightly lower pressure for better traction. For a 125 though, you may notice the increased weight. You can just buy a rim and spokes and lace it up to your stock rim to save a few bucks.
I am not a huge fan of trials tires for what I ride (too much top soil and loose mud), but they are great on hard pack, rocks, and roots where a knobby wouldn't be able to dig in and the trials will conform and grip.

Thanks for the reply, I mainly trail ride the state parks here in California.

Also please educate me (never took off my wheels) you said add rim and spokes to wheel? Confused ?

I think too many worry about too much. Ridden with both wheel sizes off-road for many years, including TONS of rock in the SW dez and I detected pretty much zero difference. Is there? Probably? Anything to sweat over or spend money fixing? Heck no... Spend the money on gas getting to the riding area and lunch & beers after. ;)

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I think too many worry about too much. Ridden with both off-road, including TONS of rock in the SW dez and I detected pretty much zero difference. Is there? Probably? Anything to sweat over or spend money fixing? Heck no...

It’s so tempting when you read about it, but when I ride and look at my bank account I’m like ehhhh, do I reallly need it? Think I’m gonna invest my money in some revalve. Maybe down the line it would be nice
I think too many worry about too much. Ridden with both wheel sizes off-road for many years, including TONS of rock in the SW dez and I detected pretty much zero difference. Is there? Probably? Anything to sweat over or spend money fixing? Heck no... Spend the money on gas getting to the riding area and lunch & beers after.

Thanks for input, I needed that. Your right I’m thinking about it too much, just ride damn it

Just now, Dirtbikepaulito said:

It’s so tempting when you read about it, but when I ride and look at my bank account I’m like ehhhh, do I reallly need it? Think I’m gonna invest my money in some revalve. Maybe down the line it would be nice

That IS worthwhile money! 

• Like 1

i meant to add to my own post, another 18" benefit is more choice for tires.  For example, i don't think some of the golden tyre's come in 19

9 minutes ago, Dirtbikepaulito said:

Also please educate me (never took off my wheels) you said add rim and spokes to wheel? Confused ?

your wheel is technically 3 parts.  the hub, spokes, and rim.  you can buy just an 18" rim, and the correct length spokes, and then take off your old rim and spokes, and lace up the new ones.  i thought about doing it this way myself.  the cost is about the same as a tusk complete wheel when i add in the truing stand and spoke torque wrenches.  but those are tools that can continue to be used, so not really part of the cost.  accountants can explain that better than me.

Edited by Kallendbor
typo fixes
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

34 minutes ago, Dirtbikepaulito said:

Is the 18 inch THAT much of a difference ? Thinking about running one on my 125, but thinking twice as it’s a little pricey for me at the moment. Heard the 18 with a trails tire kicks ass. Any input is much appreciated

Remember a 125 a 1.85 rim and 250 is a 2.15. "If" wanting to install a trials tire you will loose rear wheel turning as the grip is real good. I run them on my big 4 strokes and never needed to on the smokers.

18" benefit is: more tire choices, taller sidewall preventing pinch flats, and thats about it. You do not loose circumference of the tire itself as 90% of the 19-18" tires are the same in that aspect. 

With a 125 rear 18" it will limit the width you want to run as they are a thinner tire than most. I just laced one to a rear of a customers bike. was able to find a new OS 18"X1.85 and we put a 100/90/18 Michelin on it.

I would buy a used hub or complete wheel, and lace a rim onto it so you have both. Not to pricy IMO.  Look at the cross ref in sticky to see how many wheels and hubs cross ref, many hubs will, and a few wheels will. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Remember a 125 a 1.85 rim and 250 is a 2.15. "If" wanting to install a trials tire you will loose rear wheel turning as the grip is real good. I run them on my big 4 strokes and never needed to on the smokers.
18" benefit is: more tire choices, taller sidewall preventing pinch flats, and thats about it. You do not loose circumference of the tire itself as 90% of the 19-18" tires are the same in that aspect. 
With a 125 rear 18" it will limit the width you want to run as they are a thinner tire than most. I just laced one to a rear of a customers bike. was able to find a new OS 18"X1.85 and we put a 100/90/18 Michelin on it.
I would buy a used hub or complete wheel, and lace a rim onto it so you have both. Not to pricy IMO.  Look at the cross ref in sticky to see how many wheels and hubs cross ref, many hubs will, and a few wheels will. 

Very helpful doc, always appreciated. Thanks again

i meant to add to my own post, another 18" benefit is more choice for tires.  For example, i don't think some of the golden tyre's come in 19
your wheel is technically 3 parts.  the hub, spokes, and rim.  you can buy just an 18" rim, and the correct length spokes, and then take off your old rim and spokes, and lace up the new ones.  i thought about doing it this way myself.  the cost is about the same as a tusk complete wheel when i add in the truing stand and spoke torque wrenches.  but those are tools that can continue to be used, so not really part of the cost.  accountants can explain that better than me.

Thank you for the knowledge

You can probably find a complete used wheel from a WR250F or similar that would fit right up for $100-$200 locally and have two sets of rear wheels with different tires for different terrain types.

Over the years, I've collected 4 front-back wheel sets for my bike so I can have the proper tires for virtually any terrain just by swapping wheels (dual sport street tires, soft terrain, hard terrain, and dunes are the four that I currently am set up for).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I think too many worry about too much. Ridden with both wheel sizes off-road for many years, including TONS of rock in the SW dez and I detected pretty much zero difference. Is there? Probably? Anything to sweat over or spend money fixing? Heck no... Spend the money on gas getting to the riding area and lunch & beers after. ;)

In mud is where you can see the difference. Especially hard clay mud that's like ice.

• Like 2

You can probably find a complete used wheel from a WR250F or similar that would fit right up for $100-$200 locally and have two sets of rear wheels with different tires for different terrain types.
Over the years, I've collected 4 front-back wheel sets for my bike so I can have the proper tires for virtually any terrain just by swapping wheels (dual sport street tires, soft terrain, hard terrain, and dunes are the four that I currently am set up for).

That’s the movement, would like a sumo set as well

I think too many worry about too much. Ridden with both wheel sizes off-road for many years, including TONS of rock in the SW dez and I detected pretty much zero difference. Is there? Probably? Anything to sweat over or spend money fixing? Heck no... Spend the money on gas getting to the riding area and lunch & beers after.

Disagree 100%. Here in the steep and wet a trials tire on an 18" rim with tubliss made all the hillclimbs just so much easier.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dirtbikepaulito said:

Here is my first experiment.  Trials tire did not work for me on a 125

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rpt50 said:

Here is my first experiment.  Trials tire did not work for me on a 125

Try same tire at 5 PSI. Anything above that and trials tires don't work well for traction IMO. This is not a tire for going fast on. I'd also try a radial trials tire made for a tubeless trials rim like the IRC TR 11. Buy the tubeless tire and use it on the tubed rim using the Tubliss insert. The tubeless model has softer sidewall that allows the full contact width of the tire to flatten out and conform over trail obstacles. Again, bad tire above 30 mph.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Try same tire at 5 PSI. Anything above that and trials tires don't work well for traction IMO. This is not a tire for going fast on. I'd also try a radial trials tire made for a tubeless trials rim like the IRC TR 11. Buy the tubeless tire and use it on the tubed rim using the Tubliss insert. The tubeless model has softer sidewall that allows the full contact width of the tire to flatten out and conform over trail obstacles. Again, bad tire above 30 mph.

The problem was too much traction as described in my post.  I could not light up the rear tire and ride the 125 like I wanted to.  I like trials tires on bigger bikes.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, rpt50 said:

The problem was too much traction as described in my post.  I could not light up the rear tire and ride the 125 like I wanted to.  I like trials tires on bigger bikes.

Gotcha, makes sense. If you like the 19" rim then I recommend that you try the IRC VE 33 for tech slow woods riding. It's only available in 110/90X19 but would seem better able to light up than a trials tire.

Edited by shrubitup