performancemiles

KTM a better fit for smaller riders?

Just curious on this topic... Webb clocks in at 5'7 and Musquin clocks in at 5'8. As we have seen in the past few years, Cooper Webb struggled badly on Yamaha. Then all of a sudden we are 6 weeks into the Supercross season and he has won 3 races. Musquin's speed is really turning up quick too. It's probably just a team and bike thing but I'm just interested into what everyone says. I've never ridden a recent model KTM before so I have no idea how they feel.

• Like 1

Sure seems like that’d be the logical answer, especially if you ask certain folks around here.

I think it’s just a program and commitment. Seems like KTM and Kawi have been going back and forth for the last six or seven years as the #1 team to be on. I think it has something to do with that, whereas a team like Yamaha maybe isn’t taken quite as serious. Can’t really think of any riders recently that have flopped when going to orange or green, but yellow red and blue there’s several.

Guess I just think of you get picked up on ktm or kawi, there’s an aura of “you better fking commit and perform, or you’re GONE”. You need us, not the other way around like JGR or RMATVKTM.

• Like 1

I have rode many bikes ,the older ktms were big ,i had a 11 350 and it was far from small

The modem ktm is smaller as is the kxf 250

• Like 2

Just curious on this topic... Webb clocks in at 5'7 and Musquin clocks in at 5'8. As we have seen in the past few years, Cooper Webb struggled badly on Yamaha. Then all of a sudden we are 6 weeks into the Supercross season and he has won 3 races. Musquin's speed is really turning up quick too. It's probably just a team and bike thing but I'm just interested into what everyone says. I've never ridden a recent model KTM before so I have no idea how they feel.

Just recently I made the statement on this forum that I thought Webb’s return to success was due to a combination of changes that he has made. However, I personally believe that the single biggest factor in his improved performance is the bike change. It’s obviously a better fit for Webb and apparently many other pro riders. I currently have multiple bikes of various brands, so I am not at all brand loyal. My Yamaha YZ250 two-stroke has always been a very reliable woods bike with a GREAT engine, but I will be the first to admit that my Honda CR250R and Suzuki RM250 both turn better and have better overall handling. They both have lower seat heights and just feel smaller to me and at 5’-9” that makes for a more comfortable riding experience. With that said, see if you can get someone to let you test ride their KTM. There is a reason they have become so wildly popular amongst MX and off-road racers. I totally respect what KTM has achieved in sales and racing. The majority of my bikes have been Yamahas and Hondas since I was 6 years old but I plan to give KTM or Husky a shot the next time I purchase a brand new dirt bike. It’s hard to deny KTM’s success. Anyone that does is simply in total denial.

I am Honda biased. I have had both dirt bikes and a utility ATV and all of them were awesome machines. 1 main reason I stick with Honda is my dealer is really good and help out racers in my area. KTM is too expensive IMO and the nearest dealer is 2 hours away with a not so good reputation.

But back to the topic, KTM's success in the past decade has been great. Both in the 250 and 450 class. I agree, if anyone argues with that they are just denial.

Webb looks so comfy on the KTM. I can't remember if there was a interview on it but I know Chad Reed and Cooper Webb both hated the Yamaha. The latest model of Yamaha is a real awkward design IMO

It's a combination of a lot of things.  He admitted he thought he was "In shape" when he arrived at the Baker Factory and quickly realized he wasn't in as good of shape as he thought he was.  The mentality of the KTM program is different than most others, meaning they are 100% committed to their bikes, employees and results.  The bike's physical dimensions are not all that much different than any other brand but the balance of the bikes is much different.  That may be an important factor as the smaller stature guys can't manhandle a more top heavy bike as easily. 

IMO, it is the totality of the circumstances with him moving to the orange camp.  I honestly don't believe we can just point at one thing, like the bike, that has made him improve so much this year.

Edited by yzernie
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, performancemiles said:

Ryan Dungey 5'-10"

Argument over 

I suggest anyone could benefit from a lighter bike which the KTM’s are by a long shot. Just watching Webb on TV this season he sure looks smooth on it except when Musquin pretty much stopped in front of him. From what I’ve observed when Webb is on he doesn’t look like he’s going fast and that’s not good for the competition!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MotorBoatin said:

Ryan Dungey 5'-10"

Argument over 

That's tall???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For a professional rider,  I guess RD would he considered to be on the tall side, although still 6” shorter than Benny Bloss.  Webb sure does look comfortable on the bike, though.  Much more so than the last 2 years on the Yamaha.  Remember, the new generation KTM’s were pretty much designed to Dungey’s physical specs.  They seem compact to me on the showroom floor, but I’m 6’1” - the Yamahas just seem to fit me better.  I too think Webb’s success comes from a combination of factors.  He had no trouble with the prior generation YZ250F and it has pretty much the same larger dimensions as my YZ450FX and YZ250FX.

2 hours ago, Dklassen said:

I suggest anyone could benefit from a lighter bike which the KTM’s are by a long shot. Just watching Webb on TV this season he sure looks smooth on it except when Musquin pretty much stopped in front of him. From what I’ve observed when Webb is on he doesn’t look like he’s going fast and that’s not good for the competition!

Out of the box KTM's are lighter but most factory race bikes are very close in weight.

They put Bill Russell, one of the best basketball players ever, on a 70s YZ250. He made it look like a YZ80. He looped it starting out and just stood up.

Mike Bell was 6'4" I think.

RC proved you can be shorter than a horse jockey and kill it every weekend. They did cut the seat and frame.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, El Liebre said:

Out of the box KTM's are lighter but most factory race bikes are very close in weight.

I doubt the Japanese 450’s are close to the KTM’s in 2019. They are 15+ pounds heavier stock and there is only so much weight you can shed especially with e-start and aluminum frames. Honda already has a titanium tank. Ti axles and bolts might drop a few pounds but not 15. 

16 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

I doubt the Japanese 450’s are close to the KTM’s in 2019. They are 15+ pounds heavier stock and there is only so much weight you can shed especially with e-start and aluminum frames. Honda already has a titanium tank. Ti axles and bolts might drop a few pounds but not 15. 

Didnt benny's blossom ride ktm. 6foot4 

• Like 1

IMG_0182.PNG.8fce35c33f0885a8cf947b2fa11f9f87.PNG

Has everyone forgotten how good Webb was when he moved up to the 450 for the GP and MXON races? He was running with the best in the world on the bike that everyone says didn't suit him 

NEWS FLASH......It wasn't the F'n bike it was the TEAM

He's a fragile snowflake and Yamaha F'd him up. Remember all the BS on the Star Yamaha team between Webb and Martin?? They treated the reigning champ like a second hand citizen and focused all their love on Webb. It worked!! They got another title out of Martin and one out of Webb (after lots of lube)

When he moved up to the factory bike for those extracurricular races (GP/MXON) he rode the bike like he stole it and that's because they were kissing his ass and making him feel special

I'm sure KTM treats him just like everyone else on the team. He knows his back is against the wall career wise and that's a huge motivator.......I don't think it's the bike 

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MotorBoatin said:

Has everyone forgotten how good Webb was when he moved up to the 450 for the GP and MXON races? He was running with the best in the world on the bike that everyone says didn't suit him 

He's a fragile snowflake and Yamaha F'd him up. Remember all the BS on the Star Yamaha team between Webb and Martin?? They treated the reigning champ like a second hand citizen and focused all their love on Webb. It worked!! They got another title out of Martin and one out of Webb (after lots of lube)

When he moved up to the factory bike for those extracurricular races (GP/MXON) he rode the bike like he stole it and that's because they were kissing his ass and making him feel special

I'm sure KTM treats him just like everyone else on the team. He knows his back is against the wall career wise and that's a huge motivator.......I don't think it's the bike 

That's the race he tipped over in s corner or the us would have won. Ya I remember him choking.  Us had it wrapped up and he choked

Huge choke er

One of the biggest choke I have ever seen. thanks for reminding me how web choked and lost the us mxon

5 hours ago, Dklassen said:

Aluminum frames are a huge disadvantage at least on paper, the only reason the Japs use our scrap to make frames is because of price. Aluminum frames are cheaper to produce but they are inferior in almost every other way at least so far. Just ask McGrath if you don't believe me.

1. They're heavier

2. They're bulkier, due to the strength difference the frames have to be much larger around in order to get the strength they need.

• Like 3

When every blu cru rider owns a ktm and loves it ,I think we have achieved what we set out to do ,we are almost there ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

One good ride doesn't mean the bike was good ,I got a trophy on my 06 yzf250 , on one day it was a great bike ,the rest of the year I hated it
  • Like 1